Epic Perfect World

History Of Pickaxe....-By Kelvin

Offline Daddy.

• Jimmy Dean Productions.
A pickaxe or pick is a hand tool with a hard head attached perpendicular to the handle.

Some people make the distinction that a pickaxe has a head with a pointed end and a blunt end, and a pick has both ends pointed, or only one end; but the international Oxford Dictionary of English states that both words mean the same, i.e. a tool with a long handle at right angles to a curved iron or steel bar with a point at one end and a chisel or point at the other, used for breaking up hard ground or rock.[1]

The head is usually made of metal, and the handle is most commonly wood, metal or fiberglass. The head is a spike ending in a sharp point, may curve slightly, and often has a counter-weight to improve ease of use. The stronger the spike, the more effectively the tool can pierce the surface. Rocking the embedded spike about and removing it can then break up the surface.

The counterweight, nowadays is nearly always a second spike, often with a flat end for prying.

The pointed edge is most often used to break up rocky surfaces or other hard surfaces such as concrete or hardened dried earth. The large momentum of a heavy pickaxe, combined with the small contact area, makes it very effective for this purpose. The chiseled end, if present, is used for purposes including cutting through roots.

A mandrill (among other meanings, see Mandrill (disambiguation)) is a miner's smallish pick for use in confined spaces.

Originally used as agricultural tools as far back as prehistoric cultures, picks have also served for tasks ranging from traditional mining to warfare. The design has also evolved into other tools such as the plough and the mattock. In prehistoric times a large, already shed deer antler from a suitable species (e.g. red deer) was often cut down to its shaft and its lowest tine and used as a one-pointed pick.,[2] and with it sometimes a large animal's shoulder blade as a crude shovel. During war in medieval times, the pickaxe was used as a weapon.

Last Edit: Aug 04, 2013, 12:14 am by Kelvin
Recent video.

Waste

10/10 Would read again

Offline ChicaBomb

• fuck france
  • breadstick
when InTake gets ct buff

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
Pardon me, but isn't this the definition, and not the history?
(:

Offline Daddy.

u think i  question Wikipedia? NO
Recent video.

Offline Shay

• Forum Veteran
  • Shhh... I'm hiding from negative people
Nice informative thread..

Offline Daddy.

u think this thread isnt great? you wrong,its great
Recent video.

Offline ChicaBomb

• fuck france
  • breadstick

The pickaxe will be making a great appearance in the coming days. It's best people are aware of what it is and how it works.
when InTake gets ct buff

Offline DanBalan

• Commander Al-Hajjaj bin Yousef
Great thread, very informative, you've outdone yourself this time Kelvin.

Offline Elena

• Old player. Veno master.
  • Don't worry, my tattoos don't like you either.
  • Characters: Nya
Nice info Kelvin... '-'

Offline Muffin

• Moderated
  • Papi
I'm proud of calling you guildmate.

Offline Beloved ♥

• Fab ♥
  • 08.03.13 ♥
  • Characters: Beloved, Euphoric
  • Faction: Fab's bed
Kelvin, you're such a lovely and educated guild mate who makes quality posts.
Read this and grow up
 Don't play anymore. Won't play anymore. Bye.

Offline Daddy.

Kelvin, you're such a lovely and educated guild mate who makes quality posts.
tyvm :) and you are....Nice <3
Recent video.

Offline Beloved ♥

• Fab ♥
  • 08.03.13 ♥
  • Characters: Beloved, Euphoric
  • Faction: Fab's bed
Now, all bow down and pray to the holy Pickaxe.
Read this and grow up
 Don't play anymore. Won't play anymore. Bye.

Waste

Originally used as agricultural tools as far back as prehistoric cultures, picks have also served for tasks ranging from traditional mining to warfare. The design has also evolved into other tools such as the plough and the mattock. In prehistoric times a large, already shed deer antler from a suitable species (e.g. red deer) was often cut down to its shaft and its lowest tine and used as a one-pointed pick.,[2] and with it sometimes a large animal's shoulder blade as a crude shovel. During war in medieval times, the pickaxe was used as a weapon.

= History. You need show respect to THE pickaxe.