Epic Perfect World

[Philosophy/Discussion] A GM's status

Offline Casualty

• Listening to Manson - Putting Holes in Happiness
Being that I've been in absence of PWI and most games that give even an application to a title of Game Master or Admin and it's abilities or rewards, I started to wonder of my own thoughts and of others towards such. I think I can speak for a general population of gamers here who've played private servers and the real games such as World of Warcraft, RuneScape, Fiesta, Guild Wars, etc. and have played from the real, to the slightly higher rated, to higher and then insanity(level cap instant, best gear in a flash, etc.) So the thoughts was do you want the power of a GM or it's rewards? Do you really have an interest to help others, why? I can only assume others can create their own servers to which either recruit friends to and demolish the game's integrity by creating the best gear like a GMs. Also just as a generalization what is it like to have such power over another? Does a GM here or anywhere else ever regret their decision to become such and if so why? Is it the begging of the casual players or has your powers grown to tire? I wish I could brag of the servers I've made and been apart of, but frankly I wouldn't be able to name even a handful if I tried. What really is the interest to being a GM or moderator, anything realistically. It seems like a dreadful position to be set into in my eyes is why I ask and say all this. I'm also interested in other idealism of the others and our existing "people of power" if you will, assuming you or someone else has a higher up status than the rest of us.

Casualty - 150
Sacrifical - 150
Nymphomaniac - 150
Descention - 145
Elite - 142

Offline 🌸

• -
  • Characters: Mercy, Sigh
I know a GM on another game that loses a lot of friends because she's a GM.... If she didn't want to help why would she sacrifice her friendship... That would be dumb, I know her and she doesn't take friendship lightly.

rainlu

yeah it's alot of pain, work and stress i guess, (especially if gm's have alts and playing this game and deciding what is an offence against rules i guess) but also the good feeling that they are making something good for the server makes up for the reward, it's all about choices and decision making imho, it's up to them which direction the server goes...

Offline Casualty

I know a GM on another game that loses a lot of friends because she's a GM.... If she didn't want to help why would she sacrifice her friendship... That would be dumb, I know her and she doesn't take friendship lightly.

Sad to hear that, coming from a friend of mine: "If they don't have your back, they can suck on your sack." Not the most polite of terms, but it speaks truth.

yeah it's alot of pain, work and stress i guess, (especially if gm's have alts and playing this game and deciding what is an offence against rules i guess) but also the good feeling that they are making something good for the server makes up for the reward, it's all about choices and decision making imho, it's up to them which direction the server goes...

True, and being that you have to give up an alt and be on duty the second you click "login," it does seem high stressed. To what extent though is the stress of "helping"(because even you have asked for things extremely not needed) someone? I can't say the same though for directory sight and reason of a GM in such a way. Yes they're the forerunners of the server's support line, but the developers are the ones who attend to bugs, patches, etc.

Casualty - 150
Sacrifical - 150
Nymphomaniac - 150
Descention - 145
Elite - 142

Offline Sleep

• Retired Staff Member
  • A really saucy
  • Empathy is a dying art.
  • Characters: Sleep|Snooze|Opiate|Snore
  • Faction: EPW_Team
I became a GM because I have a strong desire and talent to help others, and to make others feel welcome and included. I cannot count how many friends I've lost over something so silly as a 30 minute mute, but I can also say the same for how many that I've gained.

But, hey, you win some and you lose some. And the rewards are more than satisfying.

You don't want to exasperate GN Sleep  :pig-11: :pig-37:

Tali

THIS IS WHAT THE AVERAGE EPW PLAYER ACTUALLY BELIEVES

10000000 hours in mspaint

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
THIS IS WHAT THE AVERAGE EPW PLAYER ACTUALLY BELIEVES

10000000 hours in mspaint
woaahh.
(:

Offline ☠EvilTouch☠

• Retired Staff Member
  • Suns Wars Addict
  • DreamyTouch | we miss you papi♡
  • Characters: EvilTouch
  • Faction: Flower_Team
i had no friends when i started to play, 2months later i became GM
made the best friends i could ask for ;)
losing friends cuz they think their cute gm friend shouldnt mute them ? thats pathetic, if they wanna cut the friendship cuz of it? i say let them go, only show they were with u cuz of interest and not for friendship itself.
i have a lot of fun beeing GM, not much stress cuz i dont really bother with people not knowing stuff about the game, thats why i signed up, to help.
alt chars...lost mine when i became GM, i have a char of each class for tests but never log it for PK cuz im not allowed.

Offline Casualty

I became a GM because I have a strong desire and talent to help others, and to make others feel welcome and included. I cannot count how many friends I've lost over something so silly as a 30 minute mute, but I can also say the same for how many that I've gained.

But, hey, you win some and you lose some. And the rewards are more than satisfying.

Better question though for you would stand as, "Do YOU believe they are your friends?" Don't you ever wonder of the ones who claim such a friendship only to have the beneficial idea that you'll go easier on them with punishments? Even aid them to a promotion? I'm not speaking individually to players but to GMs, Donators, etc. in this prospect.
Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 01:27 am by Dead Descent

Casualty - 150
Sacrifical - 150
Nymphomaniac - 150
Descention - 145
Elite - 142

Tali

woaahh.

get yo tin foil hats on

EDIT:

JESUS CHRIST IT BEGINS

Offline Night⋆

• Retired Staff Member
  • Agatio was too ♥ +Cedes
  • Characters: *Retired*
  • Faction: N/A
alt chars...lost mine when i became GM, i have a char of each class for tests but never log it for PK cuz im not allowed.
^^ this

I will admit there are times where I actually miss "playing" but tbh I was at the point that i was just helping ppl anyway so becoming a GM was a win/win for me. 99% of the time I have a BLAST as a GM the other 1% well :/
RETIRED
I guess everyone was on my profile :$ 

Offline Casualty

^^ this

I will admit there are times where I actually miss "playing" but tbh I was at the point that i was just helping ppl anyway so becoming a GM was a win/win for me. 99% of the time I have a BLAST as a GM the other 1% well :/

Do you view it as somewhat of a punishment you I would assume cannot participate in social events like raiding? What about your rules to pking if any?

Casualty - 150
Sacrifical - 150
Nymphomaniac - 150
Descention - 145
Elite - 142

Offline kyandeisu

• Old Player
Being that I've been in absence of PWI and most games that give even an application to a title of Game Master or Admin and it's abilities or rewards, I started to wonder of my own thoughts and of others towards such. I think I can speak for a general population of gamers here who've played private servers and the real games such as World of Warcraft, RuneScape, Fiesta, Guild Wars, etc. and have played from the real, to the slightly higher rated, to higher and then insanity(level cap instant, best gear in a flash, etc.) So the thoughts was do you want the power of a GM or it's rewards? Do you really have an interest to help others, why? I can only assume others can create their own servers to which either recruit friends to and demolish the game's integrity by creating the best gear like a GMs. Also just as a generalization what is it like to have such power over another? Does a GM here or anywhere else ever regret their decision to become such and if so why? Is it the begging of the casual players or has your powers grown to tire? I wish I could brag of the servers I've made and been apart of, but frankly I wouldn't be able to name even a handful if I tried. What really is the interest to being a GM or moderator, anything realistically. It seems like a dreadful position to be set into in my eyes is why I ask and say all this. I'm also interested in other idealism of the others and our existing "people of power" if you will, assuming you or someone else has a higher up status than the rest of us.

from my experience it sucked, royally sucked. being spammed and annoyed up the yingyang of players that are purposely craving attention from you or other gms/staff and ones that just purposely misbehave so they can start drama up. only time i felt it was worth while was when things as in events actually went smoothly and the players actually behaved themselves. it feels more or less like a baby daycare center and parents that dont bother to disipline their kids drop them off at your place and want you to watch them while they go out and party and drink lol
the only real bonus of being a gm was being able to access anything i needed in game so that i could reskin/model shit other then that, im not much of a pk so i never bothered to have self gain in easy access of stuff just to be a "top player."

Offline Casualty

from my experience it sucked, royally sucked. being spammed and annoyed up the yingyang of players that are purposely craving attention from you or other gms/staff and ones that just purposely misbehave so they can start drama up. only time i felt it was worth while was when things as in events actually went smoothly and the players actually behaved themselves. it feels more or less like a baby daycare center and parents that dont bother to disipline their kids drop them off at your place and want you to watch them while they go out and party and drink lol
the only real bonus of being a gm was being able to access anything i needed in game so that i could reskin/model shit other then that, im not much of a pk so i never bothered to have self gain in easy access of stuff just to be a "top player."

Now that sounds a lot more believable. I've worked as a mechanic, a programmer, and as customer support(hr). All I would ever get were people who were insane, dramatics, unreasonable, or just ignorant, but I loved the job, hated the people.

Casualty - 150
Sacrifical - 150
Nymphomaniac - 150
Descention - 145
Elite - 142

Offline kyandeisu

• Old Player
Now that sounds a lot more believable. I've worked as a mechanic, a programmer, and as customer support(hr). All I would ever get were people who were insane, dramatics, unreasonable, or just ignorant, but I loved the job, hated the people.

lol the only reason i stuck with it for as long as i did was just so i could modify client files easier, otherwise hated it xD
Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 03:33 am by kyandeisu