Epic Perfect World

Expel is bugged?

Alright I'm pretty sure I've tested this well enough, just want to make sure it's a bug and not a change in the game.

I have everything checked under the Blessing/Healing section of the protections window.

While in PK mode, if you have someone targeted that is more than 20 meters away, and you hit expel, you'll get a "Target out of range" message.
If you have yourself or nothing targeting, expel goes on yourself without issue.

If you move to within 20 meters or closer of the target (aka another PKer), expel will cast on yourself without issue, just as it should.

So why is expel concerned about range now?  This was not the case before.
The reason why this is a big issue is that an archer can now have their way with you from 20+ meters away and there's nothing I (a sin in this case) can do about it.

Yes I can use AD, etc etc...please don't get into semantics with me here.  I should be able to put expel on myself with any other player targeted assuming I have everything checked under the Blessing/Healing section of the protections window.

So...is this a new thing? Or a bug?

Offline thatguy

This is not a bug nor is it new, it's been there since Expel came out.  It's a ranged genie skill and why this message pops up is because it can be used on that target aswell not just you and your allies.
I don't think that's right.

If you read the protections window (like the one I've attached), and have it set as I do, you'll see that the way I have my protections setup means that I should not be casting any skills (genie or not) on other players.  The protections prevent it.

Offline IMN666

• Poor, Ugly, Happy
  • Bah-weep-graghnah-weep-ninni-bong
  • Characters: Maloth, Aceso
i think those protections are for player skills only. genie skills i believe are separate from player skills.

Can anyone shed some light on this?  i would think genie skills would follow the same rules as player skills given that they interact with other players, no?

Edit:  and actually now that I'm thinking about it, normally if you uncheck the "Buff Filter - Screen all neutral blessings casted on you" option, then expel can be cast on you by someone else.  If a person has that checked, I have them targeted, and I cast expel, it should cast on me because they're protections prevent it from being cast on them.

Again, this is how I remember things being...I just remember being able to expel myself no matter what was going on, but now that's no longer the case.
Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 03:52 am by snthennumbers
BTW expel doesnt work in NS ijs

Offline SHINIGAMI

• Pharmaceutical/IT Guy :p
  • May you live every day of your life.
  • Characters: Labs, Labradoodle
BTW expel doesnt work in NS ijs

u sure ? o.o
#Retired #BusyWithThatDadLyf

Just to update this, Coffee confirmed what i was seeing and will be conferring with Agatio once he's awake...

Thanks Coffee
u sure ? o.o

yep I've tested it out myself

edit: either it doesn't work in NS or mine is glitched ijs

Offline Feone

• Forum Veteran
Here let me explain how expell works.

You either need to:
Target yourself or target nothing or target something within its range to use it. Regardless of wether or not your protection are set to cast on yourself. Arguably a bug but this has been the case for as long as I remember.
This is also not limited to expell only. I've noticed this happening too when trying to use the wizard distance shrink skill (itll attempt to slide to the target and walk into range to do this sometimes, even if they are far away, instead of just sliding forward.)

Expell in fact DOES work in nightscream, however not when you have buff filter on. This is an oversight from when PWI/PWE added the buff filter option. In instances it also filters your own buff, not just the opponents. Yet another "feature" from PWE. If you want your expell to work there, turn buff filter off.

The settings of your target have nothing to do with where the buff goes. If you try to expell someone who has it blocked your expell gets blocked. Your problem for trying to use a skill in a way it wasn't  intended for. It doesn't bounce back to you. The only way to make it go on yourself is to have your protections adjusted for self-buffing.

Offline SHINIGAMI

• Pharmaceutical/IT Guy :p
  • May you live every day of your life.
  • Characters: Labs, Labradoodle

have u tried, uncheckking the buff filter ? :S .... im pretty sure i've expelled myself a fair few timss in NS....

can't check atm though :S at uni atm, studying,  exam on monday o.o
#Retired #BusyWithThatDadLyf

Offline AOH

• Old Player
  • Characters: Aids
  • Faction: Ŧα†αlι†y

there is a way to make it work in NS but u gotta mess with the protection settings and click yourself. It is a pain though without a doubt. i just avoid using it there personally

Not entirely true. Check my above post for details.  But yes, expell does not work on yourself if you have buff filter checked, but only in instances. In open world it works as it's supposed to.

yea my bad i didnt read threw all the posts completely :s
Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 06:20 am by AOH

Offline Feone

• Forum Veteran
there is a way to make it work in NS but u gotta mess with the protection settings and click yourself. It is a pain though without a doubt. i just avoid using it there personally

Not entirely true. Check my above post for details.  But yes, expell does not work on yourself if you have buff filter checked, but only in instances. In open world it works as it's supposed to.
Guys just to clarify, here's what brought this problem to my attention:

have an archer stand more than 20meters away from you and start attacking you with arrows and/or physical attack skills (aka no lightning skills)
then try to expel

oh wait "Target out of range"...cant expel

oh thats ok, just hit ESC and ditch the target...oh wait, I cant because he's attacking me

now excluding HA classes, the rest of us don't have time to go click our own faces before expelling.  By that time the archer has us dead. 
this is the problem; I should be able to expel myself regardless of how far away the attacker is.  even if it's a psychic, I should be able to expel myself without having to be within 20 meters of them...especially if, when I am within 20 meters of them, the expel goes on me anyway.

Personally I'd just like to see expel be a self-cast-only skill since that's how the vast majority of players use it...but I digress.

And yes, I'm positive the way things used to be were that I could expel if an archer was arrow-ing me from 35+ meters away.  I know this because I recently 1v1'd an archer who had no idea what they were doing, but nonetheless I could expel at any point during the fight, regardless of how close or far away they were from me.  All they did were shoot arrows, and needless to say it didn't go well for them.  That's at least partially because half the time they were doing no damage to me.  I digress again.

And for what it's worth, I believe nearly all players have their protections setup the same way I do (as seen in the screenshot posted at the beginning of this thread)...yes?  With those settings, in normal-map PK, you'll run into this range issue with expel.

Now the neutral blessing filter does have me confused.  In normal-map PK if you uncheck the neutral blessing filter, and someone else has you targeted and expels (assuming their within 20 meters of you in this case), the expel still goes on the caster.
The only way I've found to get expel onto someone else is for YOU to have every option under Blessing/Healing unchecked, and your TARGET to have the neutral blessing option unchecked (makes sense if you read what the protections are doing lol).  Now obviously finding a PKer with their protections setup in such a manner is a true rarity (as I'm sure you've all noticed, because your expels having been going onto you, right?)  So what changed?  This is why I'm now at least 85% sure there's a bug given my limited knowledge of the inner workings of this game.

So hopefully everyone's on the same page now, and hopefully I haven't made myself look like too much of an idiot while I'm puffing away here

Happy weekend to all, and to all a good night.

Offline AOH

• Old Player
  • Characters: Aids
  • Faction: Ŧα†αlι†y
when an archer has you targeted just click your portrait in the top left of the screen so you have yourself selected instead of hitting esc. do not agree with it being self cast only.

ooo and on a side note keep in mind expel's physical immune can be purged so you may just end up sealed taken damaged lol. i have had this happen before and it truly sucks :<