Epic Perfect World

Critiques Anyone?

Offline SaltySupreme

• Permanently Afk
Update: Added the speedpaint for the dragon picture. ^^
I'm only keeping this account open because of the memories I have on here, the good and the bad. I logged in just to change my account, and then I'm putting this dusty book back on the shelf.

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
Update: Added the speedpaint for the dragon picture. ^^

Wait..is this mouse or tablet?
(:

Offline SaltySupreme

• Permanently Afk
Wait..is this mouse or tablet?

Mouse. :3
I'm only keeping this account open because of the memories I have on here, the good and the bad. I logged in just to change my account, and then I'm putting this dusty book back on the shelf.

Offline Chibbi

• Was a pleasure
  • Characters: Chibbi
I read everyone's critiques and some I agree with.  I also know that these pictures were made with a mouse and not a tablet.  To create your work...WITH A MOUSE...is outstanding.  Leaving that out of the picture, you did ask for a critique.  I'll try to be fair.

Picture 1:
Background - Even though my trees look like a 3rd grader's, I know that a branch wouldn't normally point downward.  It's always pointing up to the sun in some way shape or form.  The leaves make it look like a Palm tree or a Weeping Willow.  If it were a Palm, they wouldn't be hanging down like that and the leaves would be much wider, giving a bit of shade even if the sun is behind it..  If it were a Willow, there would need to be more leaves blurred in the foreground and in the background.  And your branch, if you look at the top, is wider on the right side of the cat and thinner on the left side.  Also much too short.   Branches tapper out.  Otherwise, love the color job you did on the bark.  Don't forget shaping on the leaves.  The front side will be darker than the back.
The sun is not exactly solid yellow.  I would suggest mixing some red and oranges in there somewhere, maybe even white.  Do a Google search for sunsets (that's what this looks like) and you'll find that the sky isn't completely blue when you're looking at it.  It's more of a purple/red.
Kitteh: (I hope this works) Look at this image ->   The light is behind it.  Making all the guard hairs glow in the source light.  On your picture you tried to recreate this with a yellow ring around the kitten, which is very very close, but the guard hairs sticking out aren't the same color.  The glow would extend towards the neck like in the pic and not just the chin.
Growth is right, there needs to be shading on the front legs of some sort.  They're invisible.  The back paw's toes could use a bit more definition than a black line.
Anatamy in most all parts.  Like the eyes.  Kinda anime-ish and too close together.  I couldn't begin to give a red-line unless I practiced cat anatomy myself @.@
Needs more shading on the darker parts and more highlighting on the lighter parts.
And a technique suggestion, LAYERS for one (LOTS of LAYERS) and instead of coloring the coat, then adding fur, color the cat a solid shade first and use guidelines (separate later) to add the colors using the same technique you used for the fur. Several lines of several shades.

A little harsh, and I nitpicked a little.  So let me know if I should tune it down.
Everyone is right though, you could do children's book art o.o

Offline GelloAce

• Characters: Kiero
  • Faction: Ducks
Your Dragon is still far from realism.
So what do you need to make it realistic,

First is anatomy, you should research on google for some dragonsand study them.

Second is lighting, I can see you somehow knows it, referring to the video.
When you make a fire, you should have this orangey light illuminated on surfaces near it, in your work, it's the head of the dragon but only on some portions. Then you have the moon, the moon's light is directed towards us so everything on the dragon would be dark, but theres should be a thin line of light on its fur on its back.
Last, the colors. Use a lot of blues in your dragon, meaning not just 3 blues(light,base,dark), add colors ranging from blue to violet.

I will not critique your style of rendering since you are using mouse, which is real hard to use especially when your aim is realism. So kudos to you.

You are doing good, you actually have the potential there, you have the idea and you are creative. Realism is earned with years of practice.  I suggest practice with your pencil and paper. ;)

Offline SaltySupreme

• Permanently Afk
I read everyone's critiques and some I agree with.  I also know that these pictures were made with a mouse and not a tablet.  To create your work...WITH A MOUSE...is outstanding.  Leaving that out of the picture, you did ask for a critique.  I'll try to be fair.

Picture 1:
Background - Even though my trees look like a 3rd grader's, I know that a branch wouldn't normally point downward.  It's always pointing up to the sun in some way shape or form.  The leaves make it look like a Palm tree or a Weeping Willow.  If it were a Palm, they wouldn't be hanging down like that and the leaves would be much wider, giving a bit of shade even if the sun is behind it..  If it were a Willow, there would need to be more leaves blurred in the foreground and in the background.  And your branch, if you look at the top, is wider on the right side of the cat and thinner on the left side.  Also much too short.   Branches tapper out.  Otherwise, love the color job you did on the bark.  Don't forget shaping on the leaves.  The front side will be darker than the back.
The sun is not exactly solid yellow.  I would suggest mixing some red and oranges in there somewhere, maybe even white.  Do a Google search for sunsets (that's what this looks like) and you'll find that the sky isn't completely blue when you're looking at it.  It's more of a purple/red.
Kitteh: (I hope this works) Look at this image ->   The light is behind it.  Making all the guard hairs glow in the source light.  On your picture you tried to recreate this with a yellow ring around the kitten, which is very very close, but the guard hairs sticking out aren't the same color.  The glow would extend towards the neck like in the pic and not just the chin.
Growth is right, there needs to be shading on the front legs of some sort.  They're invisible.  The back paw's toes could use a bit more definition than a black line.
Anatamy in most all parts.  Like the eyes.  Kinda anime-ish and too close together.  I couldn't begin to give a red-line unless I practiced cat anatomy myself @.@
Needs more shading on the darker parts and more highlighting on the lighter parts.
And a technique suggestion, LAYERS for one (LOTS of LAYERS) and instead of coloring the coat, then adding fur, color the cat a solid shade first and use guidelines (separate later) to add the colors using the same technique you used for the fur. Several lines of several shades.

A little harsh, and I nitpicked a little.  So let me know if I should tune it down.
Everyone is right though, you could do children's book art o.o

Thank you for the critique, both of you~! ^^ In picture 1 it is supposed to be a willow tree but I can't draw trees at all. I might remake it if I ever get the inspiration for it. I did ask for critiques so nitpicking is encouraged. I'm glad you put that kitty picture there. Not only is it adorable but it is also a good art reference.

How would I make the legs more visible? I always have problems with that when I do lineless artwork.

Your Dragon is still far from realism.
So what do you need to make it realistic,

First is anatomy, you should research on google for some dragonsand study them.

Second is lighting, I can see you somehow knows it, referring to the video.
When you make a fire, you should have this orangey light illuminated on surfaces near it, in your work, it's the head of the dragon but only on some portions. Then you have the moon, the moon's light is directed towards us so everything on the dragon would be dark, but theres should be a thin line of light on its fur on its back.
Last, the colors. Use a lot of blues in your dragon, meaning not just 3 blues(light,base,dark), add colors ranging from blue to violet.

I will not critique your style of rendering since you are using mouse, which is real hard to use especially when your aim is realism. So kudos to you.

You are doing good, you actually have the potential there, you have the idea and you are creative. Realism is earned with years of practice.  I suggest practice with your pencil and paper. ;)

I do need to do some dragon anatomy research but considering this is an OC she has some unique parts of her anatomy but when it comes down to basic anatomy I have a long way to go.

I know what you mean when you say to put light on the back, I saw a really good artist do that before in one of her realism speedpaints.

I do have a question though, when you said to use violets how do I use them? Should they be used for highlights, shadows?

Both of these might be remade if I can figure out where I left my inspiration shots. XD
Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 03:19 am by TheFelineLife

Offline GelloAce

Use violet on midtones to help shape your dragon, but actually it should be in between blue and violet XD

Offline SaltySupreme

• Permanently Afk
Use violet on midtones to help shape your dragon, but actually it should be in between blue and violet XD

Sorry, I don't understand it. I know to use a mix of violet and blue but I don't know how you would use it. I'm one of those people that need examples for something like this. X-X

Offline GelloAce

so i did it with a sphere using the lighting in your environment. i hope this helps D:
though the position of the moon in mine is wrong XD

Offline SaltySupreme

• Permanently Afk
so i did it with a sphere using the lighting in your environment. i hope this helps D:
though the position of the moon in mine is wrong XD

EDIT: After looking at it I think I get it. Do you use the violet/blue as darker shading in places away from the fire and lava?
Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:11 am by TheFelineLife

Offline Sleep

• Retired Staff Member
  • A really saucy
  • Empathy is a dying art.
  • Characters: Sleep|Snooze|Opiate|Snore
  • Faction: EPW_Team

Offline SaltySupreme

• Permanently Afk

That pic. XD

Using a mouse is actually really easy considering I started digital art with a mouse. Then I got my tablet and about a year later my pen nib needed replaced but I didn't have any replacements and I can't buy any because my tablet is discontinued so I ended up going back to using a mouse. :C

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
That pic. XD

Using a mouse is actually really easy considering I started digital art with a mouse. Then I got my tablet and about a year later my pen nib needed replaced but I didn't have any replacements and I can't buy any because my tablet is discontinued so I ended up going back to using a mouse. :C
What tablet is it, anyways?
A lot of the nibs are usable on other ones or so im told .-.
(:

Offline Sleep

• Retired Staff Member
  • A really saucy
  • Empathy is a dying art.
  • Characters: Sleep|Snooze|Opiate|Snore
  • Faction: EPW_Team
That pic. XD

I tried using a mouse once.

Once.

What tablet is it, anyways?
A lot of the nibs are usable on other ones or so im told .-.

Wacom Tablets are my favorite. I got my bamboo three years ago, and I've only worn down two nibs.

You don't want to exasperate GN Sleep  :pig-11: :pig-37:

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
I tried using a mouse once.

Once.

Wacom Tablets are my favorite. I got my bamboo three years ago, and I've only worn down two nibs.
;-; I got my intuos 5 medium like a year ago ish I think.
I'm currently down about 1/3 of a nib (the basic one it gives you with the pen q.q)
Just wondering, but is yours also like this: Mine has this super long nib then most of it goes into the pen and only a bit emerges.
(: