Epic Perfect World

New Laptop

Offline Remmy

• Characters: Embry | Amora | Remmy
  • Faction: Apollumi
I wanted to ask some fellow gamers on opinions regarding a new gaming laptop.

I've had my eye on an Alienware laptop for awhile. In fact, it was between an Alienware and my current Lenovo when I last bought. I went with the Lenovo because it was about $300 cheaper. I should have gone with my heart and just gotten the Alienware...oh well.

I'm looking to possibly get the laptop this coming year, maybe after January or February. (You know...after I can rake in all that Christmas cash 8))

However, I wanted to know which Alienware laptop I should go with. There is the 13, 15 and 17 but I'm not sure which one I should go with.

Currently I play EPW, SWTOR, Black Desert and I run quite a few Adobe programs (mainly Photoshop). I also stream literally everything I watch from Hulu, Netflix, HBO and even Amazon video. 

Also, if you don't like Alienware which brand would you recommend?
Last Edit: Oct 19, 2016, 01:05 pm by Remmy

kitty stew

ASUS ROG laptops tend to be well priced and come with decent GPU's and other hardware

Here is what I got almost 2 years ago and it still works great -- as far as PW goes can still run minimum 40 clients smooth, and up to 70-80 with some slowdowns:
https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rog-g751jy-dh73-17-3-core-i7-4710hq-24-gb-ram-256-gb-ssd-plus-1-tb-hdd/specs/

What surprised me most about it is I fully expected the stock m2 SSD that came with the laptop to suck but in doing benchmarking it far outperformed the drive I was going to get at the time (was waiting on the 850 EVO), then of course realized it was also a Samsung stock m2 that came with it.. was very surprised since HD is one of the places manufacturers popularly cut corners

One thing not to do is compare them to desktop specs, laptops will always be inferior (I like trolling people who take hardware or any brands seriously) for the same price spec-wise

What I would advise is to be patient and bookmark deals sites similar to RFD (Redflagdeals in Canada) because every once in a while a fantastic deal for laptops comes along, as well as pretty much every other type of computer hardware.

Also check reviews. If there's a flaw with a product if it has many reviews it tends to show. A lot of deals are deals because nobody wants to buy the product (usually for good reason) and they want to get rid of their stock. It's that small percentage of time where it's a great product that you want to find it.

Offline Selaria

An old ass P1 144mhz can run outdated as hell PWI on the lowest settings probably. You're good to go.

Goldengate

A new MacBook Pro is coming out soon, and it has magnificent specifications!

Apple's New MacBook Pro Has a New Look

It has a fantastic look and specifications which will boost your gameplay.

You can use your Adobe programs on it, and they will be instantly loaded.

Offline ZDiabloZ

• Old Player
i got the Alienware Aurora gaming desktop  it haves the power to do really anything you want to do and its not that big of a price like labtops are 

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-aurora-r5-desktop

Offline Bill Dipperly

• God of TW
  • Faction: storm
dont bother with the new pc if u main epic pw especially not laptop because they have low cpu power, pw is all about single core cpu ghz, so even with the new alienware u will have about same fps in pw, but id go with 17 for the newer games. But seeing the games you play they dont exactly require good pcs so u could literally go with any

Offline Remmy

Thanks for all the options guys! I'll definitely be checking out the specs of the links you're all posting. Good to see other brands other than Alienware too. Though I have had my heart set on an Alienware laptop for awhile, I could change my mind. 

@kitty stew - I was actually looking at an Asus when I was trying to decide between my Lenovo and Alienware a few years back. I don't remember what turned me away from it, but I've heard good things about Asus performance and I've never really heard anything bad about it. And even tho I'm looking to buy next year I'm going to be keeping an eye on prices come Black Friday. Electronics always drop in price during Black Friday. 

Offline Logic

• Retired
  • Retiring retired players
  • Faction: Tyrants
What is your reason going with a laptop, is it a spacial issue or are you just looking for something mobile. If so then I'd suggest doing a bit of research and ordering the components and building a custom Laptop. Mainly because you'll be getting what you want at a cheaper price rather than paying the "name brand" tax. 

kitty stew

Thanks for all the options guys! I'll definitely be checking out the specs of the links you're all posting. Good to see other brands other than Alienware too. Though I have had my heart set on an Alienware laptop for awhile, I could change my mind. @kitty stew - I was actually looking at an Asus when I was trying to decide between my Lenovo and Alienware a few years back. I don't remember what turned me away from it, but I've heard good things about Asus performance and I've never really heard anything bad about it. And even tho I'm looking to buy next year I'm going to be keeping an eye on prices come Black Friday. Electronics always drop in price during Black Friday.
yes but if you're gonna black friday shop keep an eye on prices now

they tend to raise prices before BF just to lower them on BF just to make it look like an amazing discount... people will see things like "50% off!" and believe they're getting an amazing deal, it's a popular tactic that tends to rip off people who aren't to affluent with what prices to expect.. that's where prior research comes in handy + not impulse buying

What is your reason going with a laptop, is it a spacial issue or are you just looking for something mobile. If so then I'd suggest doing a bit of research and ordering the components and building a custom Laptop. Mainly because you'll be getting what you want at a cheaper price rather than paying the "name brand" tax.

the reason to look for deals even on brand name is because they can and DO lower the prices well below what custom makers sell for

their overhead is much better given they get their hardware at a much cheaper cost (name brand manufacturers get serious discounts) so they can take price hits much better too

Offline Remmy

Space and mobility really. I don't have a desk and don't plan on buying one. I sit at a computer all day at work. So to chill in my bed with my laptop while I watch my shows is definitely something I enjoy rather than sitting in a chair at a desk.

I've thought about building one in the past, but even tho I know a bit about specs and stuff I honestly have no clue where to even start with building a laptop.

kitty stew

if you're from the US, OP..

http://slickdeals.net/

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals

it may still be hard to know what a good deal is if you're not affluent with hardware and price ranges, so one thing to do is check out that forum for feedback on whether or not it's a good deal -- I also like to Google the item description/product id/model and look for third party reviews on the things I buy from other sites (such as Newegg, Tigerdirect, MemEx, Amazon, reviewers like Tom's, etc.), I'm pretty much the same way with all products not just computers which is why wife often defers to me when it comes to buying stuff in general

Offline ๖ۣۜĐomgrath

• Nightmare Berserker
  • www.youtube.com/domgrathpw Guides, Gameplay, Livestreams (Amy's property don't mad)
  • Characters: Đomgrath Nemesis Sauron
  • Faction: Artifex
If you absolutely need to get a gaming laptop, don't be cheap, because it will be terrible.

If you don't absolutely need to get a gaming laptop, spare yourself and buy/make a gaming PC.

Offline Remmy

if you're from the US, OP..

http://slickdeals.net/

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals

it may still be hard to know what a good deal is if you're not affluent with hardware and price ranges, so one thing to do is check out that forum for feedback on whether or not it's a good deal -- I also like to Google the item description/product id/model and look for third party reviews on the things I buy from other sites (such as Newegg, Tigerdirect, MemEx, Amazon, reviewers like Tom's, etc.), I'm pretty much the same way with all products not just computers which is why wife often defers to me when it comes to buying stuff in general
I'll have to check those sites out. And I always check out the reviews on things I buy now. I've been spurned in the past, so now I go through as many as possible for pros and cons. And I'm also talking to a friend irl because he's built laptops so he's kinda like my go to as well. I just wanted some other opinions from gamers on here as well. And though money isn't too big of an issue, it'd be nice to save some bucks where I can. I know not to go cheap. I did that when I was first looking at laptops a long time ago and had the worst time with Geek Squad. 

Offline Selaria

I'll have to check those sites out. And I always check out the reviews on things I buy now. I've been spurned in the past, so now I go through as many as possible for pros and cons. And I'm also talking to a friend irl because he's built laptops so he's kinda like my go to as well. I just wanted some other opinions from gamers on here as well. And though money isn't too big of an issue, it'd be nice to save some bucks where I can. I know not to go cheap. I did that when I was first looking at laptops a long time ago and had the worst time with Geek Squad.
Best Buy PC eh? Yeah I made the mistake too. Those guys just try to sell their pre-built overpriced PCs that fail on you in a few years(always the PSU).

kitty stew

Best Buy PC eh? Yeah I made the mistake too. Those guys just try to sell their pre-built overpriced PCs that fail on you in a few years(always the PSU).
the stuff they pander also tends to be garbage computers to begin with (e-machines, HP, Dell, etc.)

and in the price range of $300-$800

as the price goes up the hardware starts to vary more and that tends to get even a novice customer's attention