Epic Perfect World

To all the artists

Offline Toxique

• Dexter ♥ Hannibal ♥ Breaking Bad ♥
  • Characters: Toxique
  • Faction: Warning
I'd like to start drawing (on paper), do you have any tips for me apart from "practice more"?  :P

Offline Calamity

• Forum Veteran
  • Sic Parvis Magna
  • Characters: Calamity
  • Faction: Crow
find naked model, draw while having erection.

Offline Joonie

• Jandelay
I just really listen to music and start drawing well since the music gives me the theme and inspiration to draw anything really xD

Offline Lexmau

• Forum Veteran

Offline GoldenArrow

• Characters: rank, Gotika, Goldenarrow, MeganPendragon

Offline Royal

• S❤
  • retired drawer / Nea was here❤ / Mana was here too xoxo ❤
  • Faction: Codex mercenary
Don't be afraid to use references. don't compare yourself to others. experiment.
Don't listen to shotime  :normal-37:
Nea: this is proof of my power abuse mwahaha
proof of how noob u are

Offline Echo

• Retired Staff Member
This is for anybody really, whether they are just starting out or not.

Draw from real life, look at things around you and just draw them. I don't do this enough. It's important because it sets a basic understanding of things like light, shapes, proportions, perspective, among other things. It eventually can be really boring, so it's healthy to draw from imagination, but you still need those basic building blocks in order to make something look how you imagine it.

If you have issues drawing something, look up references but avoid straight up tracing, it'll get easier over time.
Music does help, it allows for a relaxed state while also opening your mind to creative thinking without you even realizing it.
As Amy said, don't compare yourself to others(I should take my own advice hurrhurr), it'll ruin your self-esteem because you'll never feel good enough in an unhealthy way. But you should always strive to improve because you want to, otherwise you'll forever be stagnant.
Make time to draw, at least for 30min-1hr every day, you'll see improvement quickly.
Color theory.

If you can, try to find art books. And I'm not talking about how to draw anime/manga books, though some are okay ones. There's nothing wrong with them, I used them around when I started out, but they don't always pull from real life. It's important to know actual proportions of real life people( oh look ) before you go into a style you can call your own, you need to know the rules before you break them.

Though of course you don't have to follow my advice, I'm not a professional, this is just based on my mistakes.
If you just want to doodle for fun, just do what you feel, don't stress.

I typed too much okbye.

Quote from: Arashiwf
i remember the fashion

Offline Steroids

• God of Noobs
  • Faction: Rawr

Offline Calamity

• Forum Veteran
  • Sic Parvis Magna

bro, not even photoshop can fix yo ugly ass face

Offline Sideris

• Angie
  • Characters: Sideris | Baderis
  • Faction: Ducks
Just wait for the inspiration. You know, that moment in which you feel SO EXCITED about drawing that you would just rape the paper because it does not seem big enough to take all your ideas in. Once you get that berserk moment, you can even draw on toilet paper.

Offline Stroopwafel

• Forum Veteran
  • Faction: Outcasts☆
I'd like to start drawing (on paper), do you have any tips for me apart from "practice more"?  :P

Drawing on paper is such a broad statement though. Do you want to draw something specific like people, or nature, objects or you want to draw just about anything? Do you want to draw in a realistic way or maybe something avangarde-ish? Hell maybe you want to draw comics lol. Explore different styles and find what suits you and what you enjoy the most and with practice you will be able to create what you have in mind..  :shocked:

Offline KrowMaet

• Old Player
Start dreaming , about anything you like, think about something you love or someone, its helping me, relaxing music helps too sometimes , and dont try to be perfect no need to be afraid if you make some mistakes,   "I get inspiration from my everyday life"   Hayao miyazaki 

Good luck! ^-^

Edit

Check out Tatsuo Horiuchi's works
also o.o if you wanna draw humans , start from old people x'D they have more patience.
Last Edit: Sept 27, 2014, 06:33 pm by KrowMaet

Offline Soleil

• it's been a while :)
  • happy holidays :)
  • Characters: TinyEG
  • Faction: Gemini
One important thing: simplify. Observe how everything, repeat, everything is an assemblage of basic geometrical shapes So, start practicing simple geometry shapes in 2D: circle, square, triangle.

Then, when you've done that a lot, start changing your shapes to bring them in 3D: from circle to sphere, from square to box, from triangle to pyramid.

You'll be surprised at how fast you can draw them accurately if you practice enough.

Then, start shading: on the opposite side of the light source. if light source comes from left --->: shade on the right side and vice-versa.

Finally, when you're comfortable with your 3D shapes and shading, look around you. Try to see what shapes are things/people made of. Start drawing them, first in geometric shapes, then add details, and refine.

But mostly, don't over tire yourself and have fun :)
Il faut collectionner les pierres qu'on vous jette. C'est le début d'un piédestal.― Berlioz

Offline Soleil

• it's been a while :)
  • happy holidays :)
  • Characters: TinyEG
  • Faction: Gemini
my previous post is about basic freehand learning for classical drawing and eventually painting. old school.

for cartoons or other styles of drawing, i'm sure there are faster ways to learn and practice but i'm not familiar with those.

here is an example of what i explained:

have a good day :)

p.s.: darker columns is in ink and light ones are with graphite (pencil)
Last Edit: Sept 30, 2014, 04:04 pm by Soleil
Il faut collectionner les pierres qu'on vous jette. C'est le début d'un piédestal.― Berlioz

Offline Calamity

• Forum Veteran
  • Sic Parvis Magna
i still say my tip is better than everyones..... artists require control...>->