Epic Perfect World

Fire those spells!

Offline Noci

I'm a mage atm and i want to know somethoings before i buy the skills.

I know that sage is for dmg and demon is for crit. But sage has more def and demon more speed and stuns
I also know that a mg sword does more dmg then a glaive. But a glaive has more speed

So tell me what should i do? I want to build this char for pk. Plz tell me your thoughts about this

Offline No[Ammo]

• Rawr O,..,O
Demon. No need to think, when u crit u can oneshot, so u wont need those sage defense lvl's.

Offline Delirium

I know that sage is for dmg and demon is for crit. But sage has more def and demon more speed and stuns
I also know that a mg sword does more dmg then a glaive. But a glaive has more speed

So tell me what should i do? I want to build this char for pk. Plz tell me your thoughts about this

Err, may I ask where you go this info from? It's not 100%.

With spark on your genie and undine sage is rendered a little less useless as demon can burst as well as sage can. It is true that demon has more crit, from the masteries which is 3% in total (Yes they stack) but don't let that be the main factor in your choice. Also it is demon that has more defense than sage.

Magic sword has crit on it while the glaive has -ct, however the glaive has a higher min and max weapon damage (Which means you can hit higher than the magic sword but also have a chance to hit lower).

Sage:
Better chi management
BiDS
Blade Tempest
Pyrogram
The Dragon's Breath

Demon:
Pitfall (Paralyze)
Hailstorm ^
Stone Rain (Stun)
Sandstorm
Emberstorm (Stun)
Stone Barrier

Demon is typically better for PK while is sage is much better in the TW environment. And it all comes down to play style after all. Check out; http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php

Demon. No need to think, when u crit u can oneshot, so u wont need those sage defense lvl's.
Sage def levels? What are you talking about?

^Made by me! :P
NOT ALL CLASSES MADE FOR PVP SOME WERE MADE FOR PVE
Mhm. x'D

Offline Noci

Err, may I ask where you go this info from? It's not 100%.

With spark on your genie and undine sage is rendered a little less useless as demon can burst as well as sage can. It is true that demon has more crit, from the masteries which is 3% in total (Yes they stack) but don't let that be the main factor in your choice. Also it is demon that has more defense than sage.

Magic sword has crit on it while the glaive has -ct, however the glaive has a higher min and max weapon damage (Which means you can hit higher than the magic sword but also have a chance to hit lower).

Sage:
Better chi management
BiDS
Blade Tempest
Pyrogram
The Dragon's Breath

Demon:
Pitfall (Paralyze)
Hailstorm ^
Stone Rain (Stun)
Sandstorm
Emberstorm (Stun)
Stone Barrier

Demon is typically better for PK while is sage is much better in the TW environment. And it all comes down to play style after all. Check out; http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php

Well i want to reach 150 and dragon gear first lol. Im 147 and sage. But i got the feeling that sage isnt gone work out for me atm.

From what i can tell from your story. Is that i should go demon an choose a glaive. I think personaly that i want to speed up and take the min and max dmg range on this weapon then the MG sword with the crit. How ever i will chek out both weps to chek them out.

I didnt know btw that demon gave more def then sage. Are you sure about this?

Sage spells arnt raising your def lvl. Theprotection of your earth shield will go up a bit and the sage spark will grant you a def buff.

Thnx already for your guidens. If anny 1 else feel free to addy more info to this ill be more then happy.

Offline Delirium

Well i want to reach 150 and dragon gear first lol. Im 147 and sage. But i got the feeling that sage isnt gone work out for me atm.

From what i can tell from your story. Is that i should go demon an choose a glaive. I think personaly that i want to speed up and take the min and max dmg range on this weapon then the MG sword with the crit. How ever i will chek out both weps to chek them out.

I didnt know btw that demon gave more def then sage. Are you sure about this?

Sage spells arnt raising your def lvl. Theprotection of your earth shield will go up a bit and the sage spark will grant you a def buff.

Thnx already for your guidens. If anny 1 else feel free to addy more info to this ill be more then happy.

Yes, demon gives more Pdef, sage earth shield gives 120% Pdef while demon gives 150%. And yes, sage spark will give you a 25% damage reduction but I see it like this; If you're using triple spark its usually to do a lot of damage in a short space of time or to try and charm bypass someone, so what would be better -25% channeling or 25% damage reduction? I'd go for the one that help me get the job done quicker. ;)

Mhm. x'D

Offline shadowvzs

• Old Player
Yes, demon gives more Pdef, sage earth shield gives 120% Pdef while demon gives 150%. And yes, sage spark will give you a 25% damage reduction but I see it like this; If you're using triple spark its usually to do a lot of damage in a short space of time or to try and charm bypass someone, so what would be better -25% channeling or 25% damage reduction? I'd go for the one that help me get the job done quicker. ;)

that 30% eq pdef difference around 1-2% damage reduction difference.

whatever, if we talk about bypassing, the sage bids also nasty with 1/2 chance for +30% crit because with gear its could be above 50% crit for that short time, what is nasty if u do aoe
150 Demon Assassin
150 Sage Wizzard
150 Sage Barbarian
149 Demon Archer
148 Sage Seeker
14x Demon Barbarian
148 Sage Cleric
14x Sage Blademaster
146 Sage Barbarian
145 Sage Assassin
and other lower level sage mystic/psy/archer :D

Offline Delirium

that 30% eq pdef difference around 1-2% damage reduction difference.

whatever, if we talk about bypassing, the sage bids also nasty with 1/2 chance for +30% crit because with gear its could be above 50% crit for that short time, what is nasty if u do aoe

Still more damage reduction than sage.

Well if you're using BiDS I suspect you're using it to charm bypass someone so why you would want the 30% crit AFTER? (Even though I was comparing triple sparks, not how you bypass) Now if we're in a TW scenario then sage takes the biscuit, as I've said, though arguable mass PK is like TW, so as stated it comes down to play style... each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Mhm. x'D

Offline shadowvzs

• Old Player
Still more damage reduction than sage.

Well if you're using BiDS I suspect you're using it to charm bypass someone so why you would want the 30% crit AFTER? (Even though I was comparing triple sparks, not how you bypass) Now if we're in a TW scenario then sage takes the biscuit, as I've said, though arguable mass PK is like TW, so as stated it comes down to play style... each have their strengths and weaknesses.

maybe because before morai was only sin who got deadly nerves but now see the barb Cornered Beast, and new psy skills, still u wanna ask usefull the crit after that? :D
150 Demon Assassin
150 Sage Wizzard
150 Sage Barbarian
149 Demon Archer
148 Sage Seeker
14x Demon Barbarian
148 Sage Cleric
14x Sage Blademaster
146 Sage Barbarian
145 Sage Assassin

Offline Delirium

maybe because before morai was only sin who got deadly nerves but now see the barb Cornered Beast, and new psy skills, still u wanna ask usefull the crit after that? :D

I wouldn't consider using BiDS if trying to break the CB, and yeah new mori skills, wiz got some new ones too, what was that one again I forgot, oh yeah Mortal Reversion, ring a bell? I'll leave you with that thought. ._.

Mhm. x'D

Offline Jay

I was sage for awhile, the chi thingy is great that's about the only thing I find useful for sage, because even with that sage bids crit boost I still don't crit very often. Anyways.... Go demon, way too much benefits over sage, on this server at least, reason... This isn't pwi it's almost possible 1 shotting a full geared character, any class with sage bids. Demon is instant channeling with wellspring quaff, that's a huge bonus and plus u can spam it, tws on this server is mass pvp I hate to break it to you, I've done plenty of mass pvps against the holy alliance *coughcough*, and I'm always the last one to die or sometimes manage to get away when everyone gets piled, this is my opinion btw, go demon for the instant channeling, oh btw bring a girl character anywhere u go, getting chi is a pain and that is a fact.   -Sparker <3

Offline MageTank

This old debate....

Time for oldschool logic!

First off, you choose whichever suits your style of gameplay. Let's determine that right now.

Pros for being holy(sage):

Maintains chi- Sage dooms have a chance to reduce the amount of chi required, along with blazing giving chi. Also the holy skill that gives 50 chi is lovely in a pinch. This means you have the chance to cast your pyro edge tempest, your mountain press, hailstorm, and then cryonite, without interupting (so long as both mount and pyro use only 1 bar of chi, which is almost always the case for me) allowing you to deal such insane amounts of AOE damage in a short amount of time.

More defense- Despite what that other mage claimed about that extra 20% from the hell earth barrier, sage mages are known to outsurvive demons. This is due to their ability to maintain chi (as chi is almost like a second health bar, once its gone, your pretty much doomed). Your distance shrink requires half as much chi, meaning you can escape with less chi being used, and not to mention you can seal multiple targets. Did i mention the 25% turtle which reduces ALL damage taken by 25%? Magic damage included? Lets see those hell mages top that in terms of defense. Oh, and sages get that lovely 10% chance to fully heal hp with morning dew... god i love fully healing a wb that is near death xD

More damage- Yeah, the slow mage also hits harder. Calling the holy mage useless due to the fact that undine limits removes the usefulness of divine pyro is clearly an ignorant statement. Sure, that 20% no longer means anything, but its far from useless. Holy mages get 5% damage passive from their passives, 100% damage boost at all times, thanks to holy moistcuring, and that 50% chance to gain 30% crit can truly ruin someones day. While the hell mage can deal fast damage, it doesnt mean anything when the sage mage can drop a group with just a single skill. My favorite combo? Level 2 spark, hailstorm, cryonite dragon. Goodbye group of closely hugging enemies.

Now, thats not alot of pro's.. But they are quite nice. The cons however... can limit this classes effectiveness when alone.

Slow channelling- The holy mage does not have a skill to grant them faster casting speeds, which the hell mage has. This means you are open to be interupted often. Against melee classes, that have skill interupts, this can truely end your career as a mage.

Less static physical defense- This is because the demon mage has 20% more pdef from barrier than holy mages. Meaning without the sage fury being involved,  the demon mage can survive physical attacks better than the holy mage.

Undine strike- It can be a problem if you use your blizzard blast or divine pyro first, as undine will not reduce 60% if 20% defense has already been lowered. To remedy this con, always use undine before striking the enemy.

After reviewing the pro's and con's, its easy to see that demon mages are best at soloing enemies, while holy mages are good at support and crowd control. Do you like to help your team with stronger support heals, crowd controling aoe's and overall survivability in group pk? Or ruin someones day with insane casting of your demon skills, mashing keys until your enemy is reduced to a microcosm of dust?

Oh..and i forgot, genies made playing mage downright unchallenging, thanks to that spark skill. So even a demon mage can bypass someone xD

Probably should have mention that at the top of this... oh well. Time for me to go back into my cave.

MageTank

Offline Jay

Well written, can't believe I read all that, I agree 100% percent I still love demon tho

Offline shadowvzs

• Old Player
I wouldn't consider using BiDS if trying to break the CB, and yeah new mori skills, wiz got some new ones too, what was that one again I forgot, oh yeah Mortal Reversion, ring a bell? I'll leave you with that thought. ._.

maybe life reversion? y that nice, also u can screw up urself if u got a damn low lagg so damn risky :D

crowd control

the why demon got stun on rockfall and increased paralyze chance on another 2 skill+longer disrance on eart ulti?

also exactly 30% the difference between 120 vs 150 eq pdef :P
Last Edit: Aug 18, 2012, 01:24 am by shadowvzs
150 Demon Assassin
150 Sage Wizzard
150 Sage Barbarian
149 Demon Archer
148 Sage Seeker
14x Demon Barbarian
148 Sage Cleric
14x Sage Blademaster
146 Sage Barbarian
145 Sage Assassin

Offline MageTank

"crowd control" implies controlling crowds...as in... multiple targets. That rockfall only hits one target, if my memory serves me correct. Longer distance on mountain press means absolutely nothing when u gotta walk 5 more meters to follow-up with an attack.. unless you plan on kiting the edge for that max mount press, which makes you useless to my team, as i need mages that dont fear the frontlines lol.

The higher chance of paralize is nice, but once again, not intended for crowds. The sand one again, isnt an aoe, and doesnt count towards crowd control, and leads more towards my statement that the demon mage excells in single target battles (as you can prevent a single target from touching you). The higher paralize chance on hailstorm is lovely, but does not compensate for the lack of effectiveness in its other skills. demon dooms can still use more chi, making them less effective when holy mages can cast that extra ulti. Did i mention holy mages zhen can stun? Yeah, ive used it in close quarter mass pk against multiple enemies, and it works wonders.

So yeah... dont quote my crowd control if your going to name 2 out of 3 skills that dont even apply xD

Also, that pdef means nothing when dark ironrock/pierce/devour/OP genie skills get involved... kiss that pdef goodbye xD

MageTank

Offline Erhie

• Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Demon Mage tends to have faster casting, more crits and a higher defense, hence why people prefer them for PVP. What demon mage lacks most is Chi control.
In contrast Holy Mage has excellent Chi control, which is brilliant for TW and massive PK.
Magic Swords do NOT do more DMG than glaive. However Magic Sword tends to provide consistent DMG, where as glaive DMG varies(sometimes its high, sometimes its low).
Depending on what you want to do, you can go Holy or Demon, read the skills study them and take your pick.

Happy Hunting ^^
"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?
~J. B. Priestley"