Like the suggestions?

Yes
No
Don't care
Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Changes to Mr & Miss EpicPW Event

Offline Melody⋆

• Retired Staff Member
  • ♥ Ruin was here (and so was Toots). TangleNub(ew)
  • Characters: Melody|Harmony
  • Faction: EPW_Team
Hi EPW babes,

So I've been thinking about how to change the winners scheme of my forum event (http://epicpw.com/forum-events/(forum-event)-mr-miss-epicpw/).

This is what I have thought of so far:

Prizes

- 2 Winner (1 male, 1 female):
500 EC
200 ST
3 ET
Title

- 2 First Class Runner-Up (1 male, 1 female):
250 EC
100 ST
2 ET

- x Second Class Runner-Up (x male, x female):
100 EC
50 ST
1 ET

x would be dependent on number of entries, was thinking like dividing number of entries by 10, e.g 60 female entries & 20 male = 6 female runners up & 2 male runners up)

- Participation reward: 1 ET

Does that seem a little more fair and not as impossible to win something?
I changed the participation so that there isn't too much EC being given out, since I never anticipated so many entries each month.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Possible new title

I was also thinking of possibly adding another title for the First Class Runner Up, something like:
- Miss Epic PW Runner-Up [name]
- Mr Epic PW Runner-Up [name]

Although in my head, that sounds kinda like a 'sorry you lost' title.
Would people still be happy with a title like that or you don't want a pity title?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Other rules I will also be adding/changing:

- Due to a few PMs I received, winners from the previous month will not be able to participate for the next month. So if you won in August, you cannot participate in September. But you can re-enter in October.
This only applies to the actual winner (and will apply to the First Class Runner-Up if implemented). Second Class runners-up and other participants will be free to enter as they wish.
This will also slightly limit the number of entries.

- Only limited photo editing will be allowed. Some people are clearly more talented at photoshop than others and it's starting to become a little unfair. Therefore, only limited filters and editing will be allowed. You can brighten or sharpen your images or add a subtle filter but that's about it.
No more borders, text, or changing the original image. If you are unsure about this, or unsure about your shots, feel free to PM me about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I would run these past everyone, since the event is for you guys, not me.

Feel free to make suggestions here or PM them to me.

Just trying to make it fair for everyone, since it is more popular than I anticipated.

If you don't care for the event, you know where the door is,
so please no harsh words or unnecessary comments.

♥ Love and will miss you guys ♥
Resigned to start playing real life c:

Offline Jaye

• Characters: Peanut
Maybe like a EPW Princess, Duchess kind of thing would work... that way its not like a "so sorry u lost heres this button for ur efforts" .. I like the new rule about winners sitting out a month.. thx for doing this event.. was really fun last month.. looking forward to this month.

Life is too short to be anything but Happy

Offline Melody⋆

• Retired Staff Member
Maybe like a EPW Princess, Duchess kind of thing would work... that way its not like a "so sorry u lost heres this button for ur efforts" .. I like the new rule about winners sitting out a month.. thx for doing this event.. was really fun last month.. looking forward to this month.

I was thinking something like that tbh.

Have Miss/Mr EpicPW Queen/King for winners
Miss/Mr EpicPW Princess/Prince for runners up.

However, I didn't want to steal away the prestige of the winners title.
Beating the great amount of people that participate in the event is a pretty big achievement imo
and I didn't want to steal away from that too much.

If people don't think that is an issue, I am more than happy to looking into something like that.

Opulence

I like the idea of personal choice ss in the event but isn't it a bit bias? I feel like with this event if it is going to be more strict such a category shouldn't exist. Just a thought, I don't know how the judging process goes down or how consistent it is, how many judges etc to know if it's fair judging on that specific topic.

The other suggestions sound good though I like that you are specifying exactly what we should and shouldn't do. Thanks for hosting the event I cannot fathom how hard it was to choose the winners o.o.

Offline ϟ

• Support Member
  • Characters: Lunatic
Do whatever you think needs to be done. This is my favourite event, but some of these changes may be needed to keep things fair and to the keep the event alive.

RulesGuidesHelpdeskVote

Offline Melody⋆

• Retired Staff Member
I like the idea of personal choice ss in the event but isn't it a bit bias? I feel like with this event if it is going to be more strict such a category shouldn't exist. Just a thought, I don't know how the judging process goes down or how consistent it is, how many judges etc to know if it's fair judging on that specific topic.

The other suggestions sound good though I like that you are specifying exactly what we should and shouldn't do. Thanks for hosting the event I cannot fathom how hard it was to choose the winners o.o.

What do you mean by bias? I wasn't intending on making the event strict, just adding a limitation to editing.
It's intended as a freestyle theme to give you the opportunity to best exhibit your character. Whether it be creative, beautiful or funny.
I'm not disagreeing, I just don't quite understand what you mean.

As for the judging process, I open the judging up to all GMs. I believe this makes it a bit more fair to everyone, as you get different perspectives and opinions, rather than it just being my sole decision, as people may find that biased.
I create a poll for all entries and ask the GMs to browse all the entries a final time and select their top 3, 5, 10 etc based on how many entries there are.
They are asked to judge on both the screenshots and the question, as they are equally weighted.
I ask for comments as well, if possible, so I can't understand their decisions. We regularly discuss the entries.

Hope that offers a little more perspective. Thank you for the feedback.

Opulence

What do you mean by bias? I wasn't intending on making the event strict, just adding a limitation to editing.
It's intended as a freestyle theme to give you the opportunity to best exhibit your character. Whether it be creative, beautiful or funny.
I'm not disagreeing, I just don't quite understand what you mean.

Apologies maybe strict wasn't the correct word to use. I meant in the sense that the freestyle theme is so open how do you distinguish what is better if it doesn't fall under any guidelines (does this make sense idk??). Depending on the judge they might like a certain type of characteristic such as a humor ss compared to another judge who likes a beautiful ss. I mean it clears it up a little bit that you explained the judging process that multiple perspectives are used. I was more of concerned if it was just a few people judging you might all like the same type of idea in a freestyle shot.

It was just a thought I had, if it sounds crazy dw it probably is LOL. I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes over the judging process. Hope I didn't confuse you more O:-).

Offline Dusted

• Characters: Dusted
I like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lena

• Forum Veteran
  • Characters: Wish
Edit: Those ss's should be judged by their naturality, and not by their heavy edit skills(Even tho i'm tired of getting in photoshop to edit something to have a chance to win).
Last Edit: Sept 19, 2014, 03:59 am by Leevy

Offline Melody⋆

• Retired Staff Member
Apologies maybe strict wasn't the correct word to use. I meant in the sense that the freestyle theme is so open how do you distinguish what is better if it doesn't fall under any guidelines (does this make sense idk??). Depending on the judge they might like a certain type of characteristic such as a humor ss compared to another judge who likes a beautiful ss. I mean it clears it up a little bit that you explained the judging process that multiple perspectives are used. I was more of concerned if it was just a few people judging you might all like the same type of idea in a freestyle shot.

It was just a thought I had, if it sounds crazy dw it probably is LOL. I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes over the judging process. Hope I didn't confuse you more O:-).

Dw hunny, I'm in a perpetual state of confusion, so you couldn't possibly make it any worse.

I do understand what you mean now, hopefully by explaining that there is more than one perspective on judging clears this up.
We are very open-minded when it comes to judging.

If there is still a lingering concern with this, I am to rethink or limit the theme to make it a little more specific.

Glad to see people are liking my event.

Edit: Those ss's should be judged by their naturality, and not by their heavy edit skills.

I agree, which is why I am limiting it greatly.
Would people prefer if I took editing away all together?
Last Edit: Sept 19, 2014, 03:57 am by Melody⋆

Offline Darunia ஜ

• ...Because it is.
  • Censorship is the bane of creativity.
  • Characters: An ungodly amount
  • Faction: Tragic
Thing is, some people have less than spectacular computers and thus editing it helps enhance the picture for those times where they can't put their settings on high lest their computer screams at them.  So taking them away altogether would put those at a disadvantage because naturally people like looking at pretty things.  Sharpening a picture or making a screenshot a little brighter does make a difference too.

Glad to see that idea of the winners taking a one-month sit-out got implemented. 

Also, am I the only one who read 1 ET as 1 EC?  I was like "Why would she only give 1 EC? Is she trollin'?"
Last Edit: Sept 19, 2014, 04:45 am by ɱiʞɑʊ

Stay Classy.
Mikau - 150 Sage Archer (unofficially retired)
Darunia - 150 Demon Cleric (unoffical new main)
Catfish - 150 Sage Psy (main PK gal)
Phalanx - 150 Demon BM (because impulsive)

Offline Royal

• S❤
  • retired drawer / Nea was here❤ / Mana was here too xoxo ❤
  • Faction: Codex mercenary
Edit: Those ss's should be judged by their naturality, and not by their heavy edit skills(Even tho i'm tired of getting in photoshop to edit something to have a chance to win).
This ^
And the idea, originality and effort put into them (NOT the photoshop ''effort'')

I agree, which is why I am limiting it greatly.
Would people prefer if I took editing away all together?
I don't think you should take it all away, maybe allow ''small'' editing like making the picture slightly darker/lighter etc etc
Edit: What Mikau said ^
Nea: this is proof of my power abuse mwahaha
proof of how noob u are

Opulence

Also, am I the only one who read 1 ET as 1 EC?  I was like "Why would she only give 1 EC? Is she trollin'?"

LOL yes  :P! And I agree maybe allow basic edits that would appear on any standard program as in contrast, brightness, shadow, soften, & sharpen (all to a certain extent), but maybe not allow special filters etc.

Offline Naosu

• Boop
I like the changes. I do think some small editing should be allowed. I try to keep my ss filter/edit free,  however once in awhile it does help in a way I can't achieve with the graphic settings on the game itself.

As for the titles I'm really not too sure there. If I ever did get winner/runner up I'd be happy with any title since it's not something given to all participants.

I do really like 2nd runner ups being based on how many entries per gender individually. However,  just cause it's gonna come up at some point,  when you have an odd number of entries how are you going to round for runner up spots?  Like 23 make contestants and 57 females.

With these changes maybe I'll actually win something. QQ But I won't hold my breath. =3
What am I even doing?

Offline Melody⋆

• Retired Staff Member
I do really like 2nd runner ups being based on how many entries per gender individually. However,  just cause it's gonna come up at some point,  when you have an odd number of entries how are you going to round for runner up spots?  Like 23 make contestants and 57 females.

I'd round it ofc
E.g 23/10 = 2.3 = rounds down to 2, meaning 4 winners out of 23 for men (1 winner, 1 1st class, 2 2nd class). Roughly 1 in 6 get a prize.
57/10 = 5.7 = rounds up to 6, meaning 8 winners out of 57 for women (1 winner, 1 1st class, 6 2nd class). Roughly 1 in 7 get a prize.

I think those numbers are fairly reasonable.
Or I could always round up or always round down, if you'd prefer.

Thing is, some people have less than spectacular computers and thus editing it helps enhance the picture for those times where they can't put their settings on high lest their computer screams at them.  So taking them away altogether would put those at a disadvantage because naturally people like looking at pretty things.  Sharpening a picture or making a screenshot a little brighter does make a difference too.

That was the reason I allowed editing in the first place.
I figured most people could access some sort of basic editing program or even website,
but not everyone can run full graphics on their computer.

But it got a little excessive lately.

LOL yes  :P! And I agree maybe allow basic edits that would appear on any standard program as in contrast, brightness, shadow, soften, & sharpen (all to a certain extent), but maybe not allow special filters etc.

I think that is a good description of what should be allowed.