Epic Perfect World

True of False?

Offline Bouncy

• Hi, how are you? (it's a song)
This is perhaps a relevant question not only of epw/pwi but all mmo's and other massively time absorbing games...

True of False: ePW does not provide any happiness, only escape and illusion.

I'm interested in comments particularly from those that consider themselves hardcore gamers 20-40 hours per week or more.

What made me think of this question was the thought of winning 1,000 pvp without suffering a single loss, would that represent even 1 tiny bit of happiness?   For me the answer is no.  So while I very much enjoy the escape from rl and the illusion of happiness, I know it does not actually exist in this game or any other such game.  I am curious what others think of their experience.

Thanks all, peace.
Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:56 pm by Bouncy
BouncyBow - r8 sage
BouncySin - r8 sage
BouncyWiz - r8 demon
BouncyPSY - r8 sage
BouncySEEK - r8 sage
NoBARB - r8 sage
BouncyBM - r8 demon
ITSaMYST2ME - r8 sage
BouncyHEAL - 150 gear sage cleric
iSliceU - 150 demon sin
BouncyVENO - 150 sage veno
SLASHnBASH - 150 gear sage bm
PermaPING - 150 gear demon barb
LickMyMYST - 150 gear demon myst
iPSYuDIE - 150 demon psy
iSLICEu - 150 gear demon seek

Offline ~ ~ ~

Although I have played epw for 2 years, and official for 2, I limit my gameplay to 2-4 hours twice a week. With that said, I limit my time in game, and online because I know that it does not bring 'happiness'.

Happiness can only be attained IMHO, and experience through:
focus on what really matters
be grateful for what we have, instead of focusing on what we don't 
do random acts of kindness, it's about others
exercise and eat right
deal with whatever life throws at us
don't hang or tolerate negative people

Offline Rumi

• x x x
  • Characters: Xanadu
  • Faction: Xpendable
is all relative u kno

Offline ๖ۣۜBlis

• - Amy
  • *Ansh was here* ✿Sabibi was here, so was Prze 🌞
  • Characters: Sin | Blis | Thea
  • Faction: Outcasts☆
This is perhaps a relevant question not only of epw/pwi but all mmo's and other massively time absorbing games...

True of False: ePW does not provide any happiness, only escape and illusion.

I'm interested in comments particularly from those that consider themselves hardcore gamers 20-40 hours per week or more.

What made me think of this question was the thought of winning 1,000 pvp without suffering a single loss, would that represent even 1 tiny bit of happiness?   For me the answer is no.  So while I very much enjoy the escape from rl and the illusion of happiness, I know it does not actually exist in this game or any other such game.  I am curious what others think of their experience.

Thanks all, peace.

Every single game is but an escape for most players, true. But the fact that a game can't provide happiness for me is false, just like many other things can provide happiness to some people but not to others. I think happiness is acquired by doing things you enjoy, such as playing a game, being with friends or family, reading a book, etc.
The fact that some players enjoy killing each other but get upset over loosing does not mean you should believe this game does not provide happiness, it depends individually if you choose a game to make you happy or not and how.

Now keep in mind that happiness can be considered an illusion itself, why? MY opinion would be that simply to trigger the emotion of happiness/joy, something has to occur in order for it to happen, you do not simply remain happy forever, things we see, hear, or go through... Our emotions go up and down constantly. Every single person handles things differently, sees them differently, if something upsets them or if something makes them happy, it does not mean the effect will be the same on others.

With all of this said, I believe EPW or any other game can be happiness, temporarily happiness, just like anything else in life.
Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:11 pm by ßℓιs

Offline Mr. Rodriguez

• Major in Bending
  • Byte my 8-bit metal as
I believe happiness exist in-game. Happiness is when you break from reality, when you dive into an illusion that the world is brighter and lighter. It's when you drink a beer, when you smoke pot, when you have sex, when you play a game that keeps you so preoccupied you forgot you just failed an exam or can't graduate this year.. It is temporary, but it brings your spirits up.

Happiness is also achieved from rewards of your effort. Getting to 150 after 5 hours in PV. Getting 3x Atk lvls on your wep. Unlocking the final stage of meridian. Owning that guy that has owned you hundreds of times.

Generally, happiness is when your spirits are higher than normal, whether you achieved it in real life or just in an illusion. Nonetheless, it's temporary.

I have a question for you, what makes you happy?

Offline tekoya

• Beginner
  • Characters: Ciette
Well, this is a surprisingly deep question. But, there are many ways to look at happiness.

For example, what do we do in real life? What is the worth of the happiness we gain from real life things vs things we do in game? Is there any difference between the happiness of getting a super rare stat on a weapon vs happiness from saving up money and buying a game you've wanted for a while?

I think as long as you don't get addicted to gaming and are able to continue being productive and don't miss out on anything then happiness from gaming can be just as relevant as happiness from real world things. After all, there are communities and ties with people in games too, and we can share their feelings just as we would in real life.

But, personally, I play games to relax not necessarily for happiness. Playing games after a long day of work is always quite relaxing. :3 Especially if its with my hubby.

cevans1290

Most of server hates me. But it can bring happiness sometimes; You escape from reality and have a peaceful place. I have a few good friends, some people backstabbers. But thats just life, but It can bring happiness. - Ty Agatio for dis server, and it staying out. And ty to fav gn Night and Sleep <3

Offline Pain

• Forum Veteran
It brings me joy to wreck easies with my brothers

In all seriousness this game used to make me happy back when competitiveness in pvp/tw/ds and so on was at it's highest, the trashtalk that followed such events in particular used to be a goldmine of comedy. As my interest and competitiveness in the game dwindled as did the happiness I received from playing it.

Offline Bouncy

• Hi, how are you? (it's a song)
Some good thoughts being posted, I enjoyed the read.  Many elements I agree with, such as taking pleasure from accomplishments or a sense of reward such as leveling a toon or getting great stats or winning a tw/nw/pvp.  I also agree that such a sense of reward/accomplishment is fundamentally no different in many ways to real life where one may take satisfaction at being a banker, a cop, a candle stick maker, a doctor or lawyer, or any other such endeavor.  I've felt strongly for a long time that someone dedicating 60 hours to online gaming is no different than someone playing poker for 60 hours, or being a doctor for 60 hours a week and so on - the only difference is that the doctor and the poker player can make $1 million or more a year and are thus, somehow, validated for their efforts.  A dedicated gamer gets no such monetary reward/acknowledgement and hence no validation - it's is a deemed waste of time regardless of how we may wish to frame it otherwise.

As for the question about where I get my happiness, currently it's family and escaping from reality.  Although I'm finding the pull toward real life increasingly pleasant and conversely I'm feeling okay with my drift away from online gaming.   If anyone knew how much gaming I've done in the past 5 years they'd be amazed/shocked. That said, I've done the huge job with huge money thing, got the best education money can buy, massive custom home and all that - did not make me happy, sadly all that made me hollow really, except the education, that's a keeper.   So now I'm getting back to basics, back into motorcycles, got my learners and can ride anywhere just not at night for the next year at least, and I'll probably get a dog soon too, and I've been doing 4-6 mile jogs a few times a week.  These things make me happy.  Of course having 3sums with 2 hot chicks is always right on the top of the list but it's been over a year so that's now becoming a foggy memory.  Cut me some slack, I'm a guy.

I liked someone's answer about being productive in rl and limiting online gaming to something modest/reasonable as one element of seeking happiness.  In the end there is no right/wrong to the question I posed, just different experiences and preferences.  I also believe a couple that plays together stays together so thumbs up to the hubby/wife combos who play epw together.   :normal-3:
BouncyBow - r8 sage
BouncySin - r8 sage
BouncyWiz - r8 demon
BouncyPSY - r8 sage
BouncySEEK - r8 sage
NoBARB - r8 sage
BouncyBM - r8 demon
ITSaMYST2ME - r8 sage
BouncyHEAL - 150 gear sage cleric
iSliceU - 150 demon sin
BouncyVENO - 150 sage veno
SLASHnBASH - 150 gear sage bm
PermaPING - 150 gear demon barb
LickMyMYST - 150 gear demon myst
iPSYuDIE - 150 demon psy
iSLICEu - 150 gear demon seek

Offline 엔젤ღ

• Sacred Radiance
  • k-pop'ers and yaoi fan ❤
  • Characters: AngeliqMyst
games are the same as tv, computer and books

u'll know what i'm trying to say ok

c:
AngeliqMyst - Sage Mystic

yaoi<3

Offline Cynix

• Who is Cynix?
  • Jealousy is just love and hate at the same time.
  • Faction: Salvation
Winning makes people happy.  Meeting people who like the stuff you like makes people happy.  It might only be temporary in most cases, but I think an escape could be classified as happiness (even if only for moments at a time).

People seek purpose in the things they do.  Playing games like this to build up your character and accomplish things with it provides a purpose for the player even if the world they do so in isn't real.  A person being able to sit in their comfy chair and forget about the world for a few hours at a time sounds like a happy person to me.

The world we live in isn't in any sense perfect.  We seek happiness through small things.  This is one of those things in my opinion.  If you're the type of person who plays one of these games and hates everyone/rages all the time.. well then i wouldn't know what to call this.
I'm basically 40

cevans1290

Winning makes people happy.  Meeting people who like the stuff you like makes people happy.  It might only be temporary in most cases, but I think an escape could be classified as happiness (even if only for moments at a time).

People seek purpose in the things they do.  Playing games like this to build up your character and accomplish things with it provides a purpose for the player even if the world they do so in isn't real.  A person being able to sit in their comfy chair and forget about the world for a few hours at a time sounds like a happy person to me.

The world we live in isn't in any sense perfect.  We seek happiness through small things.  This is one of those things in my opinion.  If you're the type of person who plays one of these games and hates everyone/rages all the time.. well then i wouldn't know what to call this.
Dis. Can I claim this, General of Doge?

Offline Harry

• Forum Veteran
  • Faction: Outcasts☆
If it doesn't bring you happiness - don't play.

Why ask for 10850238 people's opinions? :)

Offline Devil Trigger

• Haters gonna hate
  • Lack motivation to care
  • Characters: DevilTrigger, Ghoul
  • Faction: Salvation
If it doesn't bring you happiness - don't play.

Why ask for 10850238 people's opinions? :)

What he said.

Offline Balnazar

• Godfather of Worms
  • I be back m8
  • Characters: Balnazar
  • Faction: Worms
Well, as for me, I play coz it makes me happy.  ^-^
You may call it an emotional escape, an escape from the social life,, or what so ever.
Yes there are a billion things that I can do that might make me more happy, but I enjoy my MMOs as well.
P.S. As I can't pk, I'm just limited to taking out all my wrath on the mobs only.  :-[  :-[
Agatio, EvilTouch, Alexypk, Magestic, Chocolate, Dream and Suns were all slain by Balnazar. Keeping scores?