Epic Perfect World

How to reduce lagging and boost your gaming

Offline Deli_Kitty

• PW addict since 2009.
  • Characters: Deli_Kitty
  • Faction: GodsArmy
Hello guys!

Lately so many people have issues with lags during big fights. I will give you few steps which you can follow to reduce lag using only in-game options. Theres a lot more you can do outside of game, but here I will share only tips and tricks which works for me in EPW/PWI.

GRAPHIC LAG

The granddaddy of all lag, this is the result of a general slowdown in graphics, and is a common occurrence for any gamer. Basically, your system just can't produce enough Frames Per Second (FPS) to make everything feel nice and smooth. Anytime graphics lag happens, you'll typically get a reduction in the responsiveness of your controls. Your actions take a fraction longer to be reflected in the graphics on-screen because it takes your system a bit more time to create each new frame of graphics and send it to your monitor.

But how can you be sure that it's graphics lag that's causing your problem?

Simple, just check your FSP in right bottom corner.

Any time that counter drops below around 25-30 FPS or so, you're going to feel some amount of graphics lag. If it drops below around 15-20 FPS then you'll really feel it. If you're getting serious framerate dips even under 10 FPS, then try these few solutions:

CUSTOMIZE YOUR SYSTEM SETTINGS

Open up your System Settings by clicking U in game. Then go to tab called System. You will see something like this:

These are the settings I use for PK/TW:

Overall - I slide it all the way to left to reduce as many effects as possible. This will make trees/water/terrain etc look more "cartoonish" but it wont affect your gameplay.
Textures - I like to reduce this all the way down too. It makes some things look a bit blurry but you get used to it after a while. Reducing this option also prevented DC bug I had when entering NW.
Sharpen/Soften - I uncheck all these options because I noticed it raises my FPS slightly and I dont see much difference in game.

Now switch to UI tab on System settings:

Customizations - when you uncheck this, you wont be able to see customized faces/bodys of characters around you, but who cares about how ppl look when you wanna kill them :P
Proxy Visuals - by checking this option, you wont be able to see anyone outside of range you chose. Slide the slider and set the range you like, I usually keep it at around 100m.
Effects - This is probably most effective thing to reduce lags, because skill/genie effects are the most responsible for graphic lags. This bar has 4 possible positions: 1st is all the way to left where you cant see any effects, next 2 positions will allow you to see effects in simple mode, and 4th position is all the way to right which will allow you to see all flashy skills in their full glow. I personally recommend to use one of 2 middle simple options because you will still be able to see if someone use HF or IG etc, which can be very important.

CUSTOMIZE YOUR OPTIMIZATION SETTINGS

You can find these settings right above your HP bar:

It will open you this window:

Show full models - It shows all characters around you normal as you usually see them.
Use simple faces - It shows characters normally, but if you click on any of them you will see simple and not customized face.
Use simple model - Also known as "Bikini mode". This is most popular option to reduce lag because you cant see any fashion/equipment on people (YES they are all naked). Enjoy pervs.
Only show important players - Shows only your squad members/spouse and players you trade/fight/embrace with. I dont recommend this for PK/TW because its deadly if you cant see all enemies around you.

You can switch trough these settings on Model/Lighting tabs and see how your FPS is moving and how much memory you use. Test it out until you find best option for your computer and game play.

BOOST YOUR COMPUTER

Update your drivers: Don't just install the latest graphics drivers, also make sure you grab the latest drivers for all of your other devices. Flaky audio drivers in particular are a known cause of gaming problems. Check the manufacturer's website for each and every one of your PC components. Even your router and DVD drive could do with some firmware updates.
Optimize Windows: Whichever version of Windows you're running, it's the foundation for your system. Anything wrong with the way Windows, your BIOS, or your hardware is configured and guess what - you're going to have problems. Make sure your windows is up to date and working properly.
Antivirus program: Its well known that some anti-virus programs can really slow down our computers since they are constantly running in background and scanning something. Set your scanning schedule to time that suits you which wont affect your game play. I personally suggest using Norton, Avast or AVG anti-virus program. Make sure to scan your computer regularly to get rid of any possible threats.
Delete, delete, delete: A clean machine is a fast machine. That means your best option is to uninstall all the programs you don't use. Delete things like trial software, limited-edition versions, and anything else you're never going to use.
Computer cleanup: Click Start then type in search box: Disk Cleanup. Click on it and run it trough. It will remove all stuff you dont need on your computer. After that make sure to defragment your disks. Click Start then type in search box: Disk Defragmenter. These two steps will increase your computer speed.
Special boost programs: There are many freewares you can get all over internet which will boost up your FPS in game. My personal preference is Game Booster. You can download and try it out using THIS LINK or use any other software you prefer.

Here you can also find more tips how to speed up your computer.

UPGRADE YOUR COMPUTER

This option is tougher on the wallet, but at some point you'll realize that no amount of optimization can help you if your system just isn't up to the task; you need to upgrade your hardware.
I will not go into details here, but I did find you a great site where you can find all tips how to turn your old computer into a gaming monster machine --> CLICK HERE

And thats pretty much it. I tried to keep it simple without going too much into details so I hope everyone can follow these steps. Let me know if you learnt something new and if this guide helped you out, it makes me happy to make other gamers happy :).
Also small note: This guide wont help much if you have problems with your internet connection or if GM is downloading p0rns (runs before Aga kills me). That is completely different problem and if thats the case you will have to ban your housemates/family from stealing your internet or get stable/faster connection (I suggest using good old wires instead of wireless internet).

Have a nice day and cya around in our pixel world!
Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:37 pm by Deli_Kitty

Offline NuckingFuts

• Characters: Chanzeer
dont recommend using CNET its full of crapware

Offline Omnium

• O,..,O
  • Rawr
  • Characters: Omnium/Twooty/Niani/...
No problems at all 120fps np
go alienware
And as a finishing touch, God created the dutch.

Offline Deli_Kitty

• PW addict since 2009.
dont recommend using CNET its full of crapware

I dont promote their site, just the program which I tested and used myself. You can find same program using Goggle if you dislike cnet ^__^

Offline NuckingFuts

Offline Deli_Kitty

• PW addict since 2009.
http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster
here is a link to the official site

thanks a lot, edited link in guide so more ppl dont complain about cnet

Offline Omnium

• O,..,O
  • Rawr
people should just get a better pc/laptop. For 1000euro u can get an amazing one?
Why even bother downloading shit like boosters?
Go alienware noaw

Offline NuckingFuts

you will also need a razor account to use gamebooster

Offline ChicaBomb

• fuck france
  • breadstick
people should just get a better pc/laptop. For 1000euro u can get an amazing one?
Why even bother downloading shit like boosters?
Go alienware noaw

I hope insisting on alienware is a joke.
when InTake gets ct buff

Offline Omnium

• O,..,O
  • Rawr
I hope insisting on alienware is a joke.
Aie sir, just giving example

Offline ChicaBomb

• fuck france
  • breadstick
Aie sir, just giving example

Alienware is a terrible example.  :rolleyes:
when InTake gets ct buff

Offline Omnium

• O,..,O
  • Rawr
Alienware is a terrible example.  :rolleyes:
I love my m18 sorry?

Offline ~TheQueenB~

• ~#IDFWU~
  • $$ Life is Good $$
  • Characters: I am Legion
  • Faction: GAME=FUN Leader
I love my lil Alienware M11X and its got alot of miles on it  =^,^= only a few minor in game adjustments during mass or high population events.  GO ALIENWARE 
~RUMORS are carried by HATERS, spread by FOOLS, & accepted by IDIOTS~

Offline Omnium

• O,..,O
  • Rawr
I love my lil Alienware M11X and its got alot of miles on it  =^,^= only a few minor in game adjustments during mass or high population events.  GO ALIENWARE
I see you are a verry smart person! Alienware 4tw

Offline ~TheQueenB~

• ~#IDFWU~
  • $$ Life is Good $$
  • Characters: I am Legion
  • Faction: GAME=FUN Leader
yep yep !! this is a nice lil guide and Ill link it to my mates who have some dino systems to play on :P
~RUMORS are carried by HATERS, spread by FOOLS, & accepted by IDIOTS~