Epic Perfect World

Bad News for Nintendo Users

Offline ϟ

• Support Member
  • Characters: Lunatic
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just found this out. I'm pretty sure this is not a joke or anything. I figured plenty of people on here play these games, so it is kind of important to know.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw

Basically to sum it all up, Nintendo is shutting down the Wi-Fi Connection for a lot of the older(ish) games. Mainly games on the Wii and DS, and not games on Wii U and 3DS.

You might want to check to see if you play any of these games. The Wi-Fi Connection for these games shuts down May 20, 2014. I'm still trying to figure out the exact reasoning behind this, because this seems crazy to me.

What are your thoughts? I know I'm pretty disappointed.

PS: If this is a joke, someone PLEASE tell me so I can stop freaking out lol.

RulesGuidesHelpdeskVote

Offline ?

• Want something to read?
  • Try a dictionary.
  • Characters: What?
  • Faction: Helghast
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just found this out. I'm pretty sure this is not a joke or anything. I figured plenty of people on here play these games, so it is kind of important to know.

Basically to sum it all up, Nintendo is shutting down the Wi-Fi Connection for a lot of the older(ish) games. Mainly games on the Wii and DS, and not games on Wii U and 3DS.

You might want to check to see if you play any of these games. The Wi-Fi Connection for these games shuts down May 20, 2014. I'm still trying to figure out the exact reasoning behind this, because this seems crazy to me.

They're older games, and odds are they don't have a large playerbase that plays on Wi-Fi. It's not really uncommon.
Insert witty quote and/or cool image here. Maybe one of you artistic folks out there can make me something neat. Golly gee mister, that sure would be swell.

Offline SHINIGAMI

• Pharmaceutical/IT Guy :p
  • May you live every day of your life.
  • Characters: Labs, Labradoodle

From what i've gathered there's two reasons..

1) Not many players play online on those platforms anymore, and Nintendo feels like it's not worth their money to keep Wii and DS servers running any longer. (also rumors of their next console came into play aswell, as in they will need to invest in more servers for the newer consoles, they can't continue to invest in a console they released 2 generations ago.)

2) they also want to divert people more towards Wii U and 3DS, as support on these platforms will continue and will only get better with time.

that's all i could gather from the few articles i've read, nintendo has't released any official reasoning though.

I'm saddened by no Mario kart online anymore :(
#Retired #BusyWithThatDadLyf

Offline Sideris

• Angie
  • Characters: Sideris | Baderis
  • Faction: Ducks
Uhm I played games without wi fi, till I lastly got my 3ds.
At least what's good about Nintendo is that older games are playable on newer consolles.
So even if they "push you" into buying the new generation one, it's still not such a loss.
Would be worse if it was like XBOX or PS.

Vegas

I saw it like a month ago and imo it's kinda stupid. Wii sold over 100 million times and their new console like 5m? Pissing ppl off is not a good move to sell consoles lol

Offline Bill Dipperly

• God of TW
  • Faction: storm
What is nintendo

Offline Calamity

• Forum Veteran
  • Sic Parvis Magna
  • Characters: Calamity
  • Faction: Crow
probably because everyone is leaning more towards the 3DS, the list has all of the Pokemon DS games and i doubt many of us used the wifi connection often on that, and the new versions pretty much make the older versions less play worthy except for the gameboy versions. A lot of people have been trading their DS for a 3DS, couple of my friends traded em in. So nintendo probably doesn't want to keep running a feature for a system that is being replaced by the new one.
Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:14 am by Shotime

Offline Danidv

• Old Player
PC Master Race

Offline Darunia ஜ

• ...Because it is.
  • Censorship is the bane of creativity.
  • Characters: An ungodly amount
  • Faction: Tragic
I only used the wi-fi for the pokemon games, namely to get trades.  So kinda upset about that.

Stay Classy.
Mikau - 150 Sage Archer (unofficially retired)
Darunia - 150 Demon Cleric (unoffical new main)
Catfish - 150 Sage Psy (main PK gal)
Phalanx - 150 Demon BM (because impulsive)

Offline ϟ

• Support Member
  • Characters: Lunatic
bumping for friend.

RulesGuidesHelpdeskVote