Epic Perfect World

Drawing tablets

Offline Darunia ஜ

• ...Because it is.
  • Censorship is the bane of creativity.
  • Characters: An ungodly amount
  • Faction: Tragic
Eraser does not come with the tablet. Eraser is built in paint tool SAI, Photoshop etc. :P I started with MousePen i608x Genius tablet. And I am pretty satisfied. I did not want to waste too much money on expensive ones, in case I screw something up with the tablet xD Yeah, Im a lefty too, I know how hard it is to draw some positions and stuffs ._.

Yeah that is my biggest thing, I want something affordable, but durable.  I do travel with my laptop a bit (especially if doing laundry at the in-laws).   Also, since I have a 2-year-old who likes to touch shiny things, getting something overly expensive isn't wise.  Not saying that I'd let her touch it, nor am I sure she'd be interested in the shiny thing after a few days, but considering that I have left my 3ds unattended for 10 minutes and she killed me and used up all my fairies in Zelda, I don't trust the little girl. xD

One of the biggest things about being a lefty while drawing: getting ink on your hands. 

Um, if you're worried about a lack of eraser, certain art programs like PTS have an option of transparency, so you can basically just erase with your current brush and settings in a way (and set a hotkey for that). Heck, I almost never use my pen's eraser. :/
(the 2 colour checkerboard box near the colors in PTS: )

Well, it's not a big worry per se, I'm sure that if I figured out my way around, I would be able to set a hotkey for erasing stuff.  It's more of a convenience aspect is all.

I just looked it up and it should work with my system since it's Vista (shoosh, I know it sucks), but can never be too sure.

Stay Classy.
Mikau - 150 Sage Archer (unofficially retired)
Darunia - 150 Demon Cleric (unoffical new main)
Catfish - 150 Sage Psy (main PK gal)
Phalanx - 150 Demon BM (because impulsive)

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
Yeah that is my biggest thing, I want something affordable, but durable.  I do travel with my laptop a bit (especially if doing laundry at the in-laws).   Also, since I have a 2-year-old who likes to touch shiny things, getting something overly expensive isn't wise.  Not saying that I'd let her touch it, nor am I sure she'd be interested in the shiny thing after a few days, but considering that I have left my 3ds unattended for 10 minutes and she killed me and used up all my fairies in Zelda, I don't trust the little girl. xD

One of the biggest things about being a lefty while drawing: getting ink on your hands. 

Well, it's not a big worry per se, I'm sure that if I figured out my way around, I would be able to set a hotkey for erasing stuff.  It's more of a convenience aspect is all.

I just looked it up and it should work with my system since it's Vista (shoosh, I know it sucks), but can never be too sure.
1. Wacom tablets should be pretty durable-or, at least, they have a pretty good reputation for being so.

2. To be honest, it's sometimes more convenient to use transparent erase and stuff like that, because (in PTS at least) the transparency thing makes it so that you erase with the effects of your current brush, and you also don't need to flip the pen over..
(:

Offline Milan

• Forum Veteran
  • Faction: Tyrants
Just wanted to open new thread but i found this and will ask here

Yesterday, I was with friend who draws amazingly but  she use classic methods paper, pen, markers, stuff. I was telling her how in this EPW community there is a lot of talented ppl who use "tablets" to draw their thoughts and she told me that equipment u use is prolly expansive. And there we went to check up prices and seller  showed us some models of drawing  "tablets" but it doesnt have screen LOL and she just cant imagine how to draw with tablet if it doesnt shows drawing on it.
Tablets we saw are between 40-100 euros and we have no idea whats difference in those and if there's any or just different brands. So question is

Do you guys use tablets (like android one) with screen on or u use drawing tablets without screen?
If its drawing one how is possible to draw with it if it doesnt point where on picture u will draw ur lines o.o
If its drawing one what matters when we choose one like presing quality or anything "options" or stuff idk .-.

Offline Darunia ஜ

• ...Because it is.
  • Censorship is the bane of creativity.
  • Characters: An ungodly amount
  • Faction: Tragic
The drawing tablet most of us use is one that doesn't have a screen.  I went for a cheaper option on Amazon (ran me less than 40 bucks USD) and it works nicely, even though one day I'm gonna get a Wacom as an upgrade.  Most actual drawing tablets don't have a screen.

As someone who doodles on paper, it will take some time to get used to.  I'm still playing with mine to get the feel of how the pen works (the harder you press, the thicker the strokes, etc.).  In PTS, it shows where your pen is on the canvas.

Stay Classy.
Mikau - 150 Sage Archer (unofficially retired)
Darunia - 150 Demon Cleric (unoffical new main)
Catfish - 150 Sage Psy (main PK gal)
Phalanx - 150 Demon BM (because impulsive)

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
The drawing tablet most of us use is one that doesn't have a screen.  I went for a cheaper option on Amazon (ran me less than 40 bucks USD) and it works nicely, even though one day I'm gonna get a Wacom as an upgrade.  Most actual drawing tablets don't have a screen.

As someone who doodles on paper, it will take some time to get used to.  I'm still playing with mine to get the feel of how the pen works (the harder you press, the thicker the strokes, etc.).  In PTS, it shows where your pen is on the canvas.
Quite.
The ones with screens are ridiculously expensive (for cheaper ones, think around 500 some, for Wacom and expensive ones, think over 1000 or 2000 maybe. The Wacom brand for those are the Cintiq series.

I'm going to assume that the majority of people here using drawing tablets without a screen (and to be honest, I don't see what's so ridiculously funny about it). Anyhow, you do have to get used to drawing without a screen. Instead of looking down when you draw, you look up to your screen, and move your hand according to the lines and stuff that appear there. As Mikau has mentioned, pressure is adjusted with how heavily/lightly you press (I don't know if other tablets do this, but I'm using an Intuos Pro, and it allows you to adjust how pressure sensitive the screen of the tablet is).
It's not that hard to get used to, though.

So, to answer your questions more specifically:
1. I use a drawing tablet.

If its drawing one how is possible to draw with it if it doesnt point where on picture u will draw ur lines o.o

Put your hand on the tablet with the pen in it. Press down and move hand. Watch lines appear on screen. Coordinate your hand properly and get used to using the tablet so you can produce somewhat accurate lines on the screen. Your experience with this can actually be affected by the program you use, btw.

If its drawing one what matters when we choose one like pressing quality or anything "options" or stuff idk .-.

The price will affect what you get-there's screenless tablets from, like, $25-$350 ish (USD, I believe). Depending on the price, the quality of the said tablet will also be affected. However, most basic tablets will probably work rather fine--they just won't have the advanced features of the more expensive tablets. The more expensive ones have more pressure sensitivity, buttons, assignable functions, etc.

Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:11 pm by ☣EvilEye23☣
(:

Offline youxian

• Beginner
If you buy a normal graphics tablet, it should be compatible with your computers/laptops . Considering its your first time in digital art, I'd reccomend either XP-Pen Star G430 (very basic and cheap Wacom model; it will last a godo few years)  osu drawing tablet . They wont break the bank for you and should be compatible with 99.9% computers/laptops you plug them into! 
.I started drawing digitally over the last year, and while my art isnt superb right now, I do like where I'm headed. I get on my XP-Pen tablet almost everyday and try to either draw or draw & ink something digitally. It's one of those things where it takes a LOT of patience & persistence.