Epic Perfect World

Drawing tips

DJBFF

I don't have a tut, but I do have a good brush that works  :-[
I like to use it as a sketching brush. I picked it up somewhere..
..I've got some other brushes as well, and a lot of textures that I got from a pack somewhere  :-[

..hmm..ah, yeah, here it is. http://zio-san.deviantart.com/art/SAI-The-Definitive-ZIO-Editor-s-Pick-Package-343802801
It's a lot of brushes..
But I would suggest merging the lists and copy pasting in notepad if you don't want all your brushes to go..missing.
Edit: It's fine if you hate all your brushes though, XD.

Oh, and I thought up more. Umm:
I personally don't like linework layers that much since the edges are all round and such. I think regular layers are easier to use, and there are more possibilities.
One way to shade (sorry if my explanation is bad) is to make a base, and layer clip all layers above it when you color the parts..then put those into a folder, layer clip a layer above that, set that one to multiply, and shade. Oh, and highlights. And possibly retouching it in photoshop if you have it. It's a relatively lazy method though .^.
(I found it somewhere online and it works decently..)
I made this tutorial without any extra brushes n stuff, but ill add this ;)

I use Ms Paint, tips please.  :normal-46:
MS paint doesn't really have any tips since you can't really draw in it, you might wanna get photoshop or sai.

Offline Chibbi

• Was a pleasure
  • Characters: Chibbi
MS paint doesn't really have any tips since you can't really draw in it, you might wanna get photoshop or sai.
Granted I don't use MSPaint, I've seen some damn good drawings done in it.
Such as:
http://www.tekniqueentertainment.com/profiles/blogs/amazing-digital-art-pieces

DJBFF

Granted I don't use MSPaint, I've seen some damn good drawings done in it.
Such as:
http://www.tekniqueentertainment.com/profiles/blogs/amazing-digital-art-pieces
true, but, to do that kind of work you have to practice a lot, MS Paint doesn't really have many techniques, it's just sketch, right click to delete a certain color, etc... there are a lot of paint tutorials online ._.

Offline Kyrix

I thought B pencils were darker than H pencils, and HB is in-between o_O

DJBFF

B are lighter, i tried it out, and HB is indeed in between, that's why it's called HB

Edit: B = bright
H= Hard
HB = hard bright

Offline Xcution

• Forum Veteran
  • I am the ocean of the Universe.
  • Characters: Xcution, Skyscream
  • Faction: IceLotus
B and H doesn't indicate how dark or light pencils are, they indicate how solid the graphite core is. B10 is the softest one and H10 is the hardest one if I remember right. Softest graphite doesn't actually draw, its more oil like and is used mainly for shading and stuff like that. H10 is the hardest graphite, it scratches the paper instead of drawing on it.
HB is normal medium-hard graphite core.

DJBFF

B and H doesn't indicate how dark or light pencils are, they indicate how solid the graphite core is. B10 is the softest one and H10 is the hardest one if I remember right. Softest graphite doesn't actually draw, its more oil like and is used mainly for shading and stuff like that. H10 is the hardest graphite, it scratches the paper instead of drawing on it.
HB is normal medium-hard graphite core.
true, but, there's also a difference in tone, i can do some lines real fast with the pencils i have, write with them abt what kind of pencil it is and stuff to show people the difference

Offline Xcution

• Forum Veteran
true, but, there's also a difference in tone, i can do some lines real fast with the pencils i have, write with them abt what kind of pencil it is and stuff to show people the difference
Lightness and darkness more depends on how hard you press the pencil rather than on hardness of the graphite core.

DJBFF

Lightness and darkness more depends on how hard you press the pencil rather than on hardness of the graphite core.
not when i draw/color. i can just keep pressing with the same pressure and still have a difference.

Offline Kyrix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencils

The scale system is described under Grading and Classification.

Softer pencils tend to produce richer, darker tones than harder pencils. From experience, an 8B pencil will allow you to achieve a much darker tone than an 8H, assuming the same pressure is applied. Maybe different pencils produce different effects, I don't know, but my experience is derived from using the standard Staedtler set.

DJBFF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencils

Softer pencils tend to produce richer, darker tones than harder pencils. From experience, an 8B pencil will allow you to achieve a much darker tone than an 8H, assuming the same pressure is applied. Maybe different pencils produce different effects, I don't know, but my experience is derived from using the standard Staedtler set.
weird o-o i guess i just have the wrong pencils or got confused, but, even so, my teacher said that it's best to sketch with a B pencil

Offline Xcution

• Forum Veteran
not when i draw/color. i can just keep pressing with the same pressure and still have a difference.
Factors like angle of pencil and sharpness of the tip also influence the color and stroke width/depth.
Drawing is a lot deeper science that it looks xD

Offline Xcution

• Forum Veteran
weird o-o i guess i just have the wrong pencils or got confused, but, even so, my teacher said that it's best to sketch with a B pencil
I don't know whos your teacher is, but B category pencils are better for filling the sketch with colors and shading, while H's are better for sketching itself because of straighter and more solid lines.

DJBFF

Factors like angle of pencil and sharpness of the tip also influence the color and stroke width/depth.
Drawing is a lot deeper science that it looks xD
true, i just draw how i draw, with makes it look differently xD

I don't know whos your teacher is, but B category pencils are better for filling the sketch with colors and shading, while H's are better for sketching itself because of straighter and more solid lines.
Well, i once sketched with all 3, i enjoyed B way more then H, but i still prefer only working with HB

Offline Xcution

• Forum Veteran
true, i just draw how i draw, with makes it look differently xD
Well, i once sketched with all 3, i enjoyed B way more then H, but i still prefer only working with HB
B's are more enjoyable because you have to put less effort to draw something with it that with H, because H is a lot harder graphite and requires more raw pressure to apply graphite on paper or any other material you are drawing on. B's are naturally soft, the softest one, like B10 or B8 (cant remember if there are 8 lvls or 10) doesnt require any pressure at all, it is more like a paint, naturally applying graphite on a material because the molecules in softest graphite are too lose and detach from whole mass easier.