Epic Perfect World

Linux Ubuntu install guide for EPW

Offline alphatwo

• I have a lifetime’s worth of technical expertise. I wasn’t born you see my mother simply chose the ‘eject child’ option from the special menu.
A couple months ago i ran into the problem of trying to run EPW on a Linux Ubuntu machine and i figured out it just yesterday. So i decided to write a guide on how i got it to work on Linux Ubuntu. I hope this will help others that are on the various Ubuntu based systems.

Step 1: Open Terminal
the first thing you need is to open Terminal. To do so just press Ctrl + Alt + T on your keyboard and this screen should pop up like this.

Step 2: Wine
Next we need to do is to download the Wine compatibility loader for Ubuntu. Wine is an amazing program that will run windows programs inside of Linux. To do so you need to put this in the purple and white window.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

then press enter and enter your login password to continue. then press enter again

Then update APT package information by copying this into your Terminal screen sudo apt-get update

When it finishes You can now install Wine by typing sudo apt-get install wine1.6 into the Terminal screen

then hit y to say yes to install it.

Step 3: Winetricks
Now that Wine is done installing we need to run winetricks to set up Wine.
In our terminal screen we are going to type winetricks and press enter.
A screen will pop up asking to choose a wineprefix.
Select Default the Wine prefix option and press ok.
Another screen will pop up asking What would you like to do to this wineprefix?
Select Install a Windows DLL or component option and press ok.
a screen will pop up asking Which package(s) would you like to install ?
Select d3dx10, d3dx11_42, d3dx11_43, all of the d3dx9's, d3dxof, devenum, dinput, dinput8, dirac, directmusic, directplay, directx9, dmsynth, dotnet20, dotnet30, dotnet40, dxdiag, dxdiagn, ffdshow, vb2run, vb3run, vb4run, vb5run, vbrun6run, vcrun2003, vcrun2008, vcrun2010, vcrun6, vcrun6sp2, and vjrun20.

this process will take some time as it downloads the files and installs them correctly..

Step 4: Internet Explorer 7
After all of that is installed into Wine we need ie7 from the windows homepage.
the link is here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-7-details.aspx
it will say that "Internet Explorer 7 is not compatible with your system."
Ignore that warning and select the top one for Windows xp and press next then download.
the download is fairly small so it should be fast to complete.
now run the installer and Wine will run the installer should take a few minutes.

Step 5: EPW
After you have done that open your epw folder and update it and enjoy the game =)

Offline 🌸

• -
  • Characters: Mercy, Sigh
Thanks, nice guide. I don't use it but I've heard Ubuntu is a really good OS. ^-^

Offline alphatwo

• I have a lifetime’s worth of technical expertise. I wasn’t born you see my mother simply chose the ‘eject child’ option from the special menu.
date=1377344616]
Thanks, nice guide. I don't use it but I've heard Ubuntu is a really good OS. ^-^
[/quote]

its very awesome just some days it will put up a fight xD

Offline alphatwo

i'll be adding pictures on all the steps once i take them on my system xD

Offline Rose

• Characters: SereneRose
Very nice :) Also heard Ubuntu is very good. Good job and thanks :3
My YouTube Channel

If the people we love are stolen from us,
the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. 
Buildings burn, people die ...
but real love is forever.

Offline Harry

• Forum Veteran
  • Faction: Outcasts☆
I tried Ubuntu 12.10 with PWI, and whenever I wanted to play it I basically couldn't. I loved it so much, but not being able to play PWI on it drew me back, anyway this guide has made me want to go back. 10/10 would be guided again...

Offline ShuiYu

• Old Player
  • Faction: Xpendable
nice. i would install wine on my mac, but its too troublesome for me.

isnt linux the open ended one? where u can add your own stuff into the os?
[8/22/13 12:56:05 PM] Fab: come, i headhunt your pants
[8/22/13 12:56:38 PM] Bre :3: You're so cute I shadow walk before coming near you.
[8/22/13 12:56:59 PM] Scott: You make me fully charge my take aim.
[8/22/13 12:57:46 PM] Hong: You're so hot even soul of fire cant stop you
[8/22/13 12:57:46 PM] Scott: You make my domain absolute.
[8/22/13 12:58:18 PM] Bre :3: Your beauty stuns me through belief.
[8/22/13 1:00:04 PM] Scott: Keep this up and i'll release my deadly shot.

Offline alphatwo

I tried Ubuntu 12.10 with PWI, and whenever I wanted to play it I basically couldn't. I loved it so much, but not being able to play PWI on it drew me back, anyway this guide has made me want to go back. 10/10 would be guided again...

if you have any issues i'll help you along with it for installing wine xD

Offline alphatwo

nice. i would install wine on my mac, but its too troublesome for me.

isnt linux the open ended one? where u can add your own stuff into the os?

Linux is free and open source. you own it not Microsoft or Apple or Canonical you do! Your free to do whatever you want to it and noone can stop you

Offline ShuiYu

• Old Player
Linux is free and open source. you own it not Microsoft or Apple or Canonical you do! Your free to do whatever you want to it and noone can stop you

yeahhh open source was the word i was looking for(: i want to get linux because of that but.. nahhhh.
[8/22/13 12:56:38 PM] Bre :3: You're so cute I shadow walk before coming near you.

Offline alphatwo

if
yeahhh open source was the word i was looking for(: i want to get linux because of that but.. nahhhh.

if you do want to try it run it under virtual box. you get the full Linux experience without having to ditch your mac os since it runs the Linux inside of your mac

Offline ShuiYu

• Old Player
if

if you do want to try it run it under virtual box. you get the full Linux experience without having to ditch your mac os since it runs the Linux inside of your mac

i tried virtualbox before and its so slow, startup and when it's running.
probably worth mentioning that my mac isn't a mac pro (10.6) and it's only 2gb ram.

Offline alphatwo

yea virtualizing an os murders older pc's. that why i love wine cause it runs windows coded programs like windows without running a full os

Offline Saffran

Hi, I also got sick of Windows and am trying to get EPW running in on Ubuntu
I tried to install all the DLL's but i ran into this when I tried to install dotnet20:

Mono does not appear to be installed.

where should I get that from? Cause according to my software following are installed:

Mono Runtime
Mono Runtime (terminal)

Offline DignityPK

• Faction: Factionless.
Hi, I also got sick of Windows and am trying to get EPW running in on Ubuntu
I tried to install all the DLL's but i ran into this when I tried to install dotnet20:

Mono does not appear to be installed.

where should I get that from? Cause according to my software following are installed:

Mono Runtime
Mono Runtime (terminal)

The error is about Wine Mono.
http://wiki.winehq.org/Mono
I think you need to install it inside wine, though I don't know for sure.
As I see it's a windows program designed for wine and allows wine to run .NET framework which is necessary to run EPW?