Epic Perfect World

Help with Paint Tool SAI?

Cheebee

My technique is much much more time consuming.  And possibly other people would rip their hair out if I told them.  But what I do is create a separate layer for each color.  I don't use select, I just color it in then erase where it went over the lines.

(hope that makes sense)

i used to do that but it would just take to long for me, but everyone has their own techniques of doing things and find their own way easier.

Offline Chibbi

• Was a pleasure
  • Characters: Chibbi
i used to do that but it would just take to long for me, but everyone has their own techniques of doing things and find their own way easier.
I'm always trying other techniques.  Always trying to improve myself.

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
My technique is much much more time consuming.  And possibly other people would rip their hair out if I told them.  But what I do is create a separate layer for each color.  I don't use select, I just color it in then erase where it went over the lines.

I have tried to use PS's pen tool but I realized that it was faster, for me, to erase the color that went outside the lines than it is to outline it.

For the lighter purple of the dress, you could make that one a separate layer and color the purple over (or under) the ruffles.  That way when you work on coloring the ruffles, the color you apply to it will on a layer above it.

(hope that makes sense)
Oh, I did that before. Colored over the lines, erased excess.

I also have a weird version of SAI.  Like I can't save pics from there because only half of it is translated :x  So I have to save it as psd and save it in another format in PS.
I can give you my version ;-; It won't save transparent, but it's pretty good other than that i think..

this is for my lineart:
http://prntscr.com/1khnq1
(change size depending on how thick i want the lines)

coloring in:
http://prntscr.com/1khnxf
omg. thanks a ton o.o
..btw, what size canvas do you use? Since a size 3 lineart......is tiny ;-;
(:

Cheebee

Well i'll give u a tip if u want good quality pics start off with a large sized canvas like 1000x1000 (or bigger 3000x3000) and after make the image smaller to watever size u want and the quality should be really good. Of course with this the brush size would increase so the lines look right (not too thin or thick) you should try to determine this yourself.
i start off with something over 1000x1000 and just cut it down to watever i need. it really depends on what ur doing i dont have an exact canvas size.

Offline WildWolf

Oh, I did that before. Colored over the lines, erased excess.
I can give you my version ;-; It won't save transparent, but it's pretty good other than that i think..

Paint tool SAI wont save as transparent the best way to get an image made on SAI to transparent is

Save as > PSD >

open any Photoshop program >

open the file you saved from SAI ( The PSD one) >

your image should come up along will all your layers and already should be transparent( white and gray grid boxes) since it came SAI >

Then in Photoshop click Save as > Save as a PNG image and bam the image is transparent
150 Demon veno : woIf

(The L in my name is really a capsized i )

I draw art you can view more here: http://wildwolvess.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
Paint tool SAI wont save as transparent the best way to get an image made on SAI to transparent is

Save as > PSD >

open any Photoshop program >

open the file you saved from SAI ( The PSD one) >

your image should come up along will all your layers and already should be transparent( white and gray grid boxes) since it came SAI >

Then in Photoshop click Save as > Save as a PNG image and bam the image is transparent

Nononono.
An updated version does, but I don't have it, and I'm currently trying to get my hands on it in my free time.

Cheebee, since yours is apparently weird, want my version? >>
Well i'll give u a tip if u want good quality pics start off with a large sized canvas like 1000x1000 (or bigger 3000x3000) and after make the image smaller to watever size u want and the quality should be really good. Of course with this the brush size would increase so the lines look right (not too thin or thick) you should try to determine this yourself.
i start off with something over 1000x1000 and just cut it down to watever i need. it really depends on what ur doing i dont have an exact canvas size.
Yeah, mine are always above 1k*1k.
(:

Offline WildWolf

Some videos i found that could help you get a better version:

150 Demon veno : woIf

(The L in my name is really a capsized i )

I draw art you can view more here: http://wildwolvess.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
Egad. You are awesome.

Only one thing-still doesn't save transparency.
*Still trying to get the updated one.

Btw, if anyone wants photoshop, pm me or something C:
I has cs5 portable.
(:

Offline Acacia

I just tried this one to save with a transparent background which worked for me. Download link is in the description. Should still be working since I only downloaded it an hour ago. When you save it as a png a box pops up with png save options click 32bpp ARGB (Each pixel have Opacity). This should then save your drawing with a transparent background.

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic

I just tried this one to save with a transparent background which worked for me. Download link is in the description. Should still be working since I only downloaded it an hour ago. When you save it as a png a box pops up with png save options click 32bpp ARGB (Each pixel have Opacity). This should then save your drawing with a transparent background.
O.o Tysomuch.
(:

Offline Acacia

O.o Tysomuch.

No problem  ^-^ I'm not sure about the brushes on it since they where different to my old SAI ones but they might of just been named differently.

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
No problem  ^-^ I'm not sure about the brushes on it since they where different to my old SAI ones but they might of just been named differently.
Yeah, the names are different and the brushes too ;-;
I imported most of mine, some went missing somehow though..
(By merging some of the folders and adding some of the text from one to the other)

Yay. transparencyyyyyyyyy!!
(:

Offline Acacia

Yeah, the names are different and the brushes too ;-;
I imported most of mine, some went missing somehow though..
(By merging some of the folders and adding some of the text from one to the other)

Yay. transparencyyyyyyyyy!!

Did you copy the files in the toolnrm folder? I forgot that once so didn't have most of my brushes. I had to change the file names though so the first one in my old SAI went from 00 to 28 etc.

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
Did you copy the files in the toolnrm folder? I forgot that once so didn't have most of my brushes. I had to change the file names though so the first one in my old SAI went from 00 to 28 etc.
Yeah, I did, though I ended up with triple (3) for some. I'l change to more normal stuff later but for now..it's kinda glitchy x.x
(: