Epic Perfect World

Help with Paint Tool SAI?

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
Okayy so.
I have...a problem, I guess, with SAI? It involves photoshop too I guess, but mostly SAI.
Since my SAI won't save transparent images (I'm trying to get an updated version ._.) I save them as psd and open them in photoshop, which makes them transparent.
However, it makes the edges of the colored lines have glitchy white paches.
Which is a problem when trying to get transparent images/etc or shrinking them (which makes them appear even more).
Example of glitchy white patches:
You can see the white spaces that look like those moving ant things near the lines.
Those look like this close up in photoshop:
My problem/question is, is there a way to color and fill all those in SAI before I put it to photoshop for transparency? I mean, in SAI, it always looks perfectly transparent, but since my background isn't I can't honestly know..

My current solution that I'm putting into action is to put a background like that behind the stuff so that the white doesn't show up, but I'm wondering if there's a better way?

Thanks ~
(:

Offline Fatigue

• Glorious
  • You will never be this beautiful
Download vector images and/or save them as vectors instead of bitmaps.

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
Download vector images and/or save them as vectors instead of bitmaps.
What? O.o
I'm drawing?
I don't get it x.x?

(:

Offline Sleep

• Retired Staff Member
  • A really saucy
  • Empathy is a dying art.
  • Characters: Sleep|Snooze|Opiate|Snore
  • Faction: EPW_Team
I've been using eye-friendly, attractive shapes such as circles and triangles as simple, solid color backgrounds. This eliminates most of your problem. I don't use PS.

1. Confusing as hell.
2. There are better alternatives than paying $2314752354432852873432 for something I'd only use for transparent BGs.

I use Pixlr's advanced editor for creating transparent BGs. It's free, browser based, and easy to use.

You don't want to exasperate GN Sleep  :pig-11: :pig-37:

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
I've been using eye-friendly, attractive shapes such as circles and triangles as simple, solid color backgrounds. This eliminates most of your problem. I don't use PS.

1. Confusing as hell.
2. There are better alternatives than paying $2314752354432852873432 for something I'd only use for transparent BGs.

I use Pixlr's advanced editor for creating transparent BGs. It's free, browser based, and easy to use.
I see :/

1. I like ps kinda.
2. You can't animate in sa, QQ.

Thanks for the bg tips though >.> (I might just copy my folder of everything, merge, and paint in the white lines that are really visible)..
Last Edit: Aug 10, 2013, 03:46 pm by ☠EvilEye☤☃★
(:

Cheebee

wat u could do is before u start colouring in sai, colour in the whole (person or object) and leave that layer white.
but your probably selecting the areas and colouring it in thats why its leaving white marks cause ur not colouring past the lines. since its on different layers, colour past the line on 1 layer and cover it with the layer ontop.

i use PS to finish off my images so u dont really need to use anything else its just u need to make sure its properly colored in sai then it should be fine. or u could select the image in PS if the edges arent messy it should select the image pretty well and just make a black layer under it, (soften the edges if u have to) and then the white patches should be gone. its not really patches its cause its just not colored.
Last Edit: Aug 10, 2013, 03:56 pm by Cheebee

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
wat u could do is before u start colouring in sai, colour in the whole (person or object) and leave that layer white.
but your probably selecting the areas and colouring it in thats why its leaving white marks cause ur not colouring past the lines. since its on different layers, colour past the line on 1 layer and cover it with the layer ontop.

i use PS to finish off my images so u dont really need to use anything else its just u need to make sure its properly colored in sai then it should be fine. or u could select the image in PS if the edges arent messy it should select the image pretty well and just make a black layer under it, (soften the edges if u have to) and then the white patches should be gone. its not really patches its cause its just not colored.
I see :/
Well, yeah, I do select and color it in ;-; Sometimes I do color over the lines a bit though, but it normally still ends up like that >>

What do you mean by softening the edges? Blurring them? IDK, getting confused D: *sorry D:

Uhh, I tried to color in black section right behind it:

Effect:
Is that fine? >.> The black STILL has a few white edges though qq
(:

Cheebee

yh thats alot better. next time just colour it in like i said before like:

so next time u wont have to u any layer under it or anything. But i also do sometimes miss places like:

so in ps i sort that out by merging all layers then having a drop shadow.. that just sorts everything out really.

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
yh thats alot better. next time just colour it in like i said before like:

so next time u wont have to u any layer under it or anything. But i also do sometimes miss places like:

so in ps i sort that out by merging all layers then having a drop shadow.. that just sorts everything out really.
I see thanks Owo
Oh, but I'm wondering, you can't color over the lines on hair and stuff and the skin is limited, So how do you do exact lines for hair (coloring it in) without it going over the lines, and without it showing blank spots?

BTW
MALON!! DO YOU HAVE A DEVIANTART?
If so. Post this. :iconnutellajar1::iconnutellajar2::iconnutellajar3::iconnutellajar4:
:iconnutellajar5::iconnutellajar6::iconnutellajar7::iconnutellajar8:
:iconnutellajar9::iconnutellajar10::iconnutellajar11::iconnutellajar12:
:iconnutellajar13::iconnutellajar14::iconnutellajar15::iconnutellajar16:
:iconnutellajar17::iconnutellajar18::iconnutellajar19::iconnutellajar20:
(:

Cheebee

what i do is for every section (like skin, hair, top.. and so on) i zoom in pretty close and just outline it myself it exactly, with pen tool, i dont select it. and then fill it in after. if u do get those edges where it doesnt fill in it's easy to cover up cause its easily visible.

like:

and when u fill in:

^stuff like that is easily visible.

then your edges are smooth and u have everything filled in.  just need to keep practicing with your drawing tablet.
Last Edit: Aug 10, 2013, 04:58 pm by Cheebee

Cheebee

oh, one thing, u always keep your line art on top layer, never change that

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
what i do is for every section (like skin, hair, top.. and so on) i zoom in pretty close and just outline it myself it exactly, with pen tool, i dont select it. and then fill it in after. if u do get those edges where it doesnt fill in it's easy to cover up cause its easily visible.

like:

and when u fill in:

^stuff like that is easily visible.

then your edges are smooth and u have everything filled in.  just need to keep practicing with your drawing tablet.
I see Owo

But, uh..
There's a pen tool in sai? ;-; Or do you just mean a regular..pen for inking with tablet? XD

Okay, a bit offtopic, but.
How do you get your lines so ..thin? And they're practically translucent.
._. *CouldIpleasepleaseplease see your brush settings? DX
All my lines always always always end up thick.
And ..well, thick.
(:

Cheebee

this is for my lineart:
http://prntscr.com/1khnq1
(change size depending on how thick i want the lines)

coloring in:
http://prntscr.com/1khnxf

Offline Chibbi

• Was a pleasure
  • Characters: Chibbi
My technique is much much more time consuming.  And possibly other people would rip their hair out if I told them.  But what I do is create a separate layer for each color.  I don't use select, I just color it in then erase where it went over the lines.

I have tried to use PS's pen tool but I realized that it was faster, for me, to erase the color that went outside the lines than it is to outline it.

For the lighter purple of the dress, you could make that one a separate layer and color the purple over (or under) the ruffles.  That way when you work on coloring the ruffles, the color you apply to it will on a layer above it.

(hope that makes sense)

Offline Chibbi

• Was a pleasure
  • Characters: Chibbi
I also have a weird version of SAI.  Like I can't save pics from there because only half of it is translated :x  So I have to save it as psd and save it in another format in PS.