Epic Perfect World

Random vs. fixed stats.

Offline moo

I’m hoping that someone can help me out with this.

As far as I know, Dragon set was the “end game” set before they released R8R. So, my question is, why did they go from fixed stats to random stats?

Fixed stats pros:
Everyone has the same gear, it’s not based on luck, the time you are able to farm (e.g. people that farm BH’s on 25 characters for 2-3 hours each day vs normal people that have actual lives) or the money you are able to throw at this game.
Easier to balance (e.g. we’ve got -90% chan archers and mages that could have been easily avoided with fixed stats).

Random stats pros:
You can tailor your gear to how you’d like to play your class (e.g. sage caster ea vs demon aps ea).

But, it’s entirely possible to have best of both worlds.
Instead of having random stats you’d have different sets of gear that could be mixed for your playing style, something like:
LA armor:
   Caster = -3% channeling reduction on all gears and other stats that go well with that.
   APS = -0.05 interval on all gears and other stats that go well with that.
   Damage = +25 dex on all gears and other stats that go well with that.
Same would go for all other classes, barbs would have APS, Damage and Tank, etc. etc.

The entire LA armor set would be considered as one big set, so if you choose to go with caster boots, caster chest, damage wrists and aps leggings you would still get the same bonus if you had the entire caster set (e.g. +25 def levels, +25 attack levels).

I somehow find it hard to believe that all the “issues” with balancing the game are not related in some way to random stats. No one is complaining about an archer or a mage that has -70% channeling but once they reach -90% it gets a bit OP.

This would also reduce the amount of farming that is needed to get a decent set, allowing the casual players keep up with the hardcore players.

Offline Fab

• Forum Veteran
Im personally ok with that random stats, although i'd love if the honing forges werent so poopy  :normal-18:

Edit: It's a good suggestion, but i honestly doubt it could be applied at this point considering the vast amount of people that donated for their r8.
Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:18 am by Khaleesi

Offline Feone

• Forum Veteran
To keep PVE interesting I suppose, something thatll never stop draining EC.

I've never been a fan of r8r, attack/deflevels especially but trying to reroll adds is kinda fun.  I agree with your statement on balance issues though.  Most issues luckily only arise at nearly-impossible gear so it stays rare enough.

Offline JHIN

• FAIL PVP'er
  • I'm no good in PK X.x
i just use dragon gear.  :D
RETIRED BARB
i quit barb just playin' support classes i am no good in 1v1.

i give up PK too hard everyone too stronk. i guess i'm forever noob x.x

Offline ThaPinky

• Wearing Straitjacket
  • IDK, IDC, doesn't have an sexual effect on my life
Well now that there is that NPC which you can choose to keep old stats its a lot better than prev where it was pure gambling.

And think R8r random stats are meant to be EC sink.
They made r8r for 2 reasons:
1. So people will donate more (if I could I would do that too D: )
2. Some people can't play with equal gears because they are too fail :smiley:

Offline Fatigue

• Glorious
  • You will never be this beautiful
They made r8r for 2 reasons:
1. So people will donate more (if I could I would do that too D: )
2. Some people can't play with equal gears because they are too fail :smiley:

You only say that because you're an aps sin, And you dont have the funds to get triple int on chest and wrist.