Epic Perfect World

Youth arrested over Call of Duty DDoS attack

Offline unreal

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2010/12/09/youth-arrested-over-call-of-duty-ddos-attack/

Wondering if the police have been contacted regarding this, or if this is an option in the country the servers are hosted in? Legal action can be taken... also wondering if the police only care if the complaint is from a large corporation as opposed to a small privately owned server.

I am very positive regarding EPW and the efforts taken to do something about the DDoS attacks, however now I see many people wanting to know what exactly is being done, world chat is literally flooded with complaints and constant whining and I would also like to know? Things like WT saying DDoS "should not be a problem as of later today" yesterday and Agatio saying the servers are going to a DDoS free host "very soon" are ambiguous at best and do not help keep player morale up when the DDoS attacks just keep getting stronger and stronger.

Please do not view this as an attack post, rather an attempt to help and to keep the clients EPW has by not giving them the mushroom treatment and keeping them in the dark. Ambiguity only lends to discontent. If there is a positive solution, I hope it happens soon and I do thank Agatio and EPW team for your efforts. I know this is causing you guys a lot of grief but I do urge you to try to get the law involved and if the police are not helpful, find a lawyer willing to take the case on spec to build a name for themselves and get the ball rolling to put pressure on those who can stop the attacker. International laws are in place for a reason and new laws and new precedent are being set to help prevent DDoS from happening. In the past this was clearly not the case but times are changing

Thanks for reading

Offline Tuga

Police? yea call 911
Just a quest EPW is a legal serve?

Offline unreal

EPW, like all free game servers was built on something known as reverse engineered game code. This is no different than how the clone personal computer was designed using reverse engineering and was not in any way illegal. IBM didn't like it, but IBM had to honor the reverse engineering laws and the clone PC much like free game servers enjoyed a massive burst in popularity and sales allowing companies like Dell, HP etc to manufacture IBM clones legally.

tldr: yes. it is fully legal.

Offline Tuga

Well if you say i dont believe ;D
But if you 100% sure go in front call 911 max can happen aga pay compensation for PWI or go to jail ;)

Offline unreal

I cannot initiate any form of legal action as I am not the rightful owner of the server. I am trying to offer a positive suggestion as opposed to the whining, crying, complaining and omfg i am quitting posts and complaints in world chat everyone seems to think are so beneficial, in order to boost player morale. There are options and sometimes it just takes the right suggestion. If this post is of no help whatsoever to Agatio then that's fine, but at least I tried to help?

Also, I do not want compensation, I just want us all to have a game we can enjoy and make Agatio and the GM teams lives a little easier.

ty.

Offline bubysaur

• aim so cute in sandness aim so veri stronger man
i think PWE is company stationed in USA while, according to server time used, i think EPW is stationed somewhere in europe, thus EPW isnt under USA authority and doesnt abide under their piracy laws.
if PWE would start legal charge it would probably end up like this.
http://thepiratebay.se/legal
now for EPW im not sure if they are registered company to start lawsuit against attacker.
even if they are, catching him is very hard and expensive work for police.
considering how much damage in $ or € or whatever he caused i doubt any police in the world would go after him.
whenever investigation process/trial is more expensive than damage done there is no point for farther prosecution, that how i got my hands free after being caught with corpus delicti few times >:D
beauty is in the eye of beerholder

Tali

That would be like calling the cops because someone stole a bag of cocaine off of you.

Offline Areashi'

• Old Player
  • :/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.:/.
That would be like calling the cops because someone stole a bag of cocaine off of you.
^ this.
Officially quit: 21/02/13.
:/. Only coming back for tw.

Offline Tuga

ok i just post here because i think unhelpful and senseless
 lol Tali nice 1 :))

Offline unreal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering

Why do you think these servers exist without being brought down? Comparing them to stolen drugs...  just wow. Expected more of you Tali, really. Wish you were as nice and respectful on forums as you are to me in faction. ijs.

Tali

Why do you think these servers exist without being brought down? Comparing them to stolen drugs...  just wow. Expected more of you Tali, really. Wish you were as nice and respectful on forums as you are to me in faction. ijs.

:sad: I was just making a funny..

Offline unreal

All good, just wish people would be supportive instead of making light of this I guess

Offline Madison

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2010/12/09/youth-arrested-over-call-of-duty-ddos-attack/

Wondering if the police have been contacted regarding this, or if this is an option in the country the servers are hosted in? Legal action can be taken... also wondering if the police only care if the complaint is from a large corporation as opposed to a small privately owned server.

I am very positive regarding EPW and the efforts taken to do something about the DDoS attacks, however now I see many people wanting to know what exactly is being done, world chat is literally flooded with complaints and constant whining and I would also like to know? Things like WT saying DDoS "should not be a problem as of later today" yesterday and Agatio saying the servers are going to a DDoS free host "very soon" are ambiguous at best and do not help keep player morale up when the DDoS attacks just keep getting stronger and stronger.

Please do not view this as an attack post, rather an attempt to help and to keep the clients EPW has by not giving them the mushroom treatment and keeping them in the dark. Ambiguity only lends to discontent. If there is a positive solution, I hope it happens soon and I do thank Agatio and EPW team for your efforts. I know this is causing you guys a lot of grief but I do urge you to try to get the law involved and if the police are not helpful, find a lawyer willing to take the case on spec to build a name for themselves and get the ball rolling to put pressure on those who can stop the attacker. International laws are in place for a reason and new laws and new precedent are being set to help prevent DDoS from happening. In the past this was clearly not the case but times are changing

Thanks for reading

Finally, someone who makes a lot of sense ... despite the other attempts here to trod on the comments made.  I agree totally.

Robbert

:sad: I was just making a funny..
Yes, Tali how dare you, you're so heartless and cheap. I'm on that guy's side there.

Offline unreal

Thank you Robbert, your sarcasm and attempt to illusion a molehill into a mountain is greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work!

Anyways, did what I could to offer something positive, I'm out from the thread, ty :)