Epic Perfect World

UI Questions :)

Offline Hydrose

• Characters: Hydrose
  • Faction: Moist
So I started making UIs and the only thing that I managed to edit was the colors and textures of the files but can't cross the borders and change shapes. I see a lot of different uis with complete new UI shape and I've been digging in the surface and interface pack but I still haven't found how to go over the limit of the borders.

Also I'm fairly new at this so any other tips will be very helpful too, thanks!  :normal-48: :pig-48: :tiger-48: :monkey-48:

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the russian UI that makes it way easier to customize + without the ''borders'' ?

Last Edit: Mar 17, 2017, 10:55 am by Hydrose, Reason: Last Line

Offline Nooby

• Nid to git gut
  • Modder
  • Characters: Noobward and Alts
  • Faction: ?!?
Try using gimp instead of ps also try using Tros translated UI for baseline for easier time around 

Offline ๖ۣۜĐomgrath

• Nightmare Berserker
  • www.youtube.com/domgrathpw Guides, Gameplay, Livestreams (Amy's property don't mad)
  • Characters: Đomgrath Nemesis Sauron
  • Faction: Artifex
Try using gimp instead of ps also try using Tros translated UI for baseline for easier time around

This, alternatively Paint.net software can be used instead of gimp. I personally would go with Paint.net software because it can read .tga files flawlessly and makes things 20x easier!

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Offline Tros

• Simon ツ
If by 'borders' you mean you cannot make the shape/size of the actual image different its because .tga files save the area that was defined in the first place (they are kinda complicated to work with).
To change the shape or size you would need to make a completely new base .tga file or convert that original .tga file to .png and then edit that as that gets rid of the border that .tga files have saved originally.
Keep in mind if you change the size you also have to edit the Width and Height in the xml file.

And yes, gimp is easier for some people and also more user friendly.

Offline Σѕкιмo

• Forum Veteran
  • Characters: Eskimo, Kae
Gimp2.8 is the way to go. It's what I've used for all of mine, past and present (and future if I stop being lazy). As for anything else, just do what everyone else said.

Offline Sam

• Aeternum
  • Characters: Mitch-Nuit-Lunar
  • Faction: Haetrum.★420★

Offline Hydrose

• Characters: Hydrose
  • Faction: Moist
If by 'borders' you mean you cannot make the shape/size of the actual image different its because .tga files save the area that was defined in the first place (they are kinda complicated to work with).
To change the shape or size you would need to make a completely new base .tga file or convert that original .tga file to .png and then edit that as that gets rid of the border that .tga files have saved originally.
Keep in mind if you change the size you also have to edit the Width and Height in the xml file.
And yes, gimp is easier for some people and also more user friendly.
Yeah that's what I mean by the borders, I'll try what you told me and see what happens. Already was using your translated version, thanks for making that btw helped a lot. So I saw most people suggesting Gimp over photoshop is it just because gimp is more user friendly or does it have some features that I need and photoshop doesn't?

Offline Atkala

• Forum Veteran
  • I am too nice for this shit.
  • Characters: Aisy
So u want say that for change border (shape), all what i need is convert .tga file into .png what can do with option save as?

Offline Sam

• Aeternum
  • Characters: Mitch-Nuit-Lunar
  • Faction: Haetrum.★420★

Offline Top50 Genji EU

• Old Player
  • Characters: solo Q to Grand Master
So u want say that for change border (shape), all what i need is convert .tga file into .png what can do with option save as?
you can put .png in game files and it will work . 
will save your time , so you dont need to convert each photo to .tga 

Offline Tros

• Simon ツ
Nope, 'save as' wouldn't solve the issue as png files use alpha/invisible layers while tga files have a certain code that defines what is used and what isn't. You would actually need a converter (for e.g. >this< would work but there are plenty online ones). You only need to do this if you are editing the shape of a tga file, if you are redesigning or only recoloring this isn't required. With recoloring you can just use the tga file and with redesigning you would start from fresh anyway.

And like HTD said, you can use png files in UIs too, so after you edit the png you don't have to go through the hassle of converting it back into a tga file, although you need to remember to change the file name in the xml.