Epic Perfect World

Archers using fists? PVP?

Offline Darunia ஜ

• ...Because it is.
  • Censorship is the bane of creativity.
  • Characters: An ungodly amount
  • Faction: Tragic
Personally, and this is just me, but when it comes to archers, I can't bring myself to sacrifice so much damage that I would get from dex just to stat enough str to carry fists.  Archers don't get bp.  'Nuff said.

Granted, my archer's sage, so a fist build would be much harder to do as a sage archer and I like using the extra range to my advantage anyways, but to each their own.

Stay Classy.
Mikau - 150 Sage Archer (unofficially retired)
Darunia - 150 Demon Cleric (unoffical new main)
Catfish - 150 Sage Psy (main PK gal)
Phalanx - 150 Demon BM (because impulsive)

Offline Lan

• mmm bacon
  • Harshland Leader
Good for Chi building lol  That's about it...but you could just go bare handed and save the dex.  PvE I could see the uses..
I am.
Lan 150 Dem/Seeker           StelioKontos 150 Dem/BM
BloodKnife 150 Sage/Sin      Ashaman 150 Sage/Wiz
Aftershocks 150 Sage/Psy   Lion_O-150 Dem/Barb
Boba_Fett 150 Dem/Archer  More to come...

Offline IMN666

• Poor, Ugly, Happy
  • Bah-weep-graghnah-weep-ninni-bong
  • Characters: Maloth, Aceso
my opinion on this goes with fist/claw barbs. they're absolutely useless. i always build a pure archer. the only claws i use on my archer on PWI is the level 70 ones, just because he can wear them. i stated his strength to 106 to wear the aqua vicious helm. and even then i look at him and say to myself "why?". you have no skills with fist/claw weapons except wingspan, and even then its drastically weakened

Offline Auriel

• ~AurielXarxes~
  • I'm one of THOSE people
my opinion on this goes with fist/claw barbs. they're absolutely useless. i always build a pure archer. the only claws i use on my archer on PWI is the level 70 ones, just because he can wear them. i stated his strength to 106 to wear the aqua vicious helm. and even then i look at him and say to myself "why?". you have no skills with fist/claw weapons except wingspan, and even then its drastically weakened
actually, i've seen some VERY successful clawbarbs, not all have to be catabarbs lol. Besides, most cata barbs rely on GoF crits on arma, which is pretty rare at times. Relying on a lucky hit from an all out attack isnt very smart. Its f***ing strong and effective, that much i wont deny, but if you fail you'll need to have some back up plan or something like invoke. Clawbarbs are methodical and flexible, because of their natural buffs that increase atk, add wood damage,up accuracy, etc they can tweak their style to their needs. Also, they a high damage potential because they have damage raising buffs (plus their phys atk buff stacks with every other buff) and if they have wiz buffs, they can pop on fire pots and gloom fists or something and throw on many debuffs as well, because they have penetrate armor, a buff that stacks with poison, mire, and HF/amp if you can get your hands on it. which goes well with frenzy due to their hp and defence etc....

The point im trying to make is, barbs have many unique, or rare buffs and debuffs that can make them a very tactical class, and they arent really to be underestimated, especially if someone knows how to use them right. But either way, cata or claw barb, its a very good class that can be a heavy hitting/tanking class in pvp. The choice is up to the player and his/her playing style  :)
150 Sage seeker   AurielXarxes
147 Demon sin   Hircine

Offline Areashi

• Banned
<--Fist archer beat a barb in tank mode, am I something else?

Offline ZionStar

• I bite.
The point im trying to make is, barbs have many unique, or rare buffs and debuffs that can make them a very tactical class, and they arent really to be underestimated, especially if someone knows how to use them right. But either way, cata or claw barb, its a very good class that can be a heavy hitting/tanking class in pvp. The choice is up to the player and his/her playing style  :)
I am pretty much pve only. But the bold part still applies. I've learned to hate barbs because very few can play one good enough. So far, I've had to deal with (on pwi and here) several barbs who can't catch on a veno pull, barbs who ask for some one else to tank and then keep PURPOSELY taking aggro, barbs who stupidly push the mob AWAY from me, barbs who can't round up mobs... List can go on.
Or maybe the problem is they all can't follow simple directions.
Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:14 am by EvilTouch

Offline narmas

• Go hard, Don't Panic!
I am pretty much pve only. But the bold part still applies. I've learned to hate barbs because very few can play one good enough. So far, I've had to deal with (on pwi and here) several barbs who can't catch on a veno pull, barbs who ask for some one else to tank and then keep PURPOSELY taking aggro, barbs who stupidly push the mob AWAY from me, barbs who can't round up mobs... List can go on.

any boss here can be killed by any class solo, barbs don't really need to tank for the party in pve. Just solo everything that don't require you to make a party of 6 O.o
Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:14 am by EvilTouch
Atari 150 wb
Villain 150 Sin
Rufio 150 Wizzzzz
Motion 150 Psy

Offline Darunia ஜ

• ...Because it is.
Well, that's an easy solution, but for some of us, we like to play with others; this is an MMO after all, even if you can solo most things.  So when we have a barb that can't do simple stuff like rounding up mobs, a BM who can't time stuns, a sin that is clearly way over their head and ends up dying to bramble, or a cleric who mistakens Wield Thunder for Ironheart (when half the squad is dead because they tried saving said cleric who used Tempest beforehand), it makes you have a certain type of contempt for that class. 

It's an unfair generalization, since it's not the class but the person behind it.
Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:16 am by EvilTouch

Stay Classy.

Offline ZionStar

• I bite.

any boss here can be killed by any class solo, barbs don't really need to tank for the party in pve. Just solo everything that don't require you to make a party of 6 O.o
I did say here AND pwi. The boss part obviously was on pwi. Same for the veno pull.

Tali

There are two types of barbs.
Ones who are terrible, and ones who are amazing. There is no inbetween.
Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:16 am by EvilTouch

Offline Darunia ஜ

• ...Because it is.
I dunno...I've yet to run into super terrible barbs and super awesome barbs since I've started playing.

Either I'm avoiding squadding with barbs or there really is an in between somewhere in there.

Stay Classy.

Offline geriatrix

• Forum Veteran
Tried fists on my archer...

Had to remove too much Dex to use them.
More lost on bow than got with fists.
(Atk, Crit, Def...)

Got rid of fists and added my points back to Dex.

Might try to get lower lvl fists from Blacksmith... LOL
"Don't think about winning every battle in your life.
Think only about winning the current one."

But reconsider price. You might decide to lose.

Offline JHIN

• FAIL PVP'er
  • I'm no good in PK X.x
There are two types of barbs.
Ones who are terrible, and ones who are amazing. There is no inbetween.

i built my sage barb for the sole purpose of being a catapuller.. TWs have been a blast.  :D

1vs1's are a bit tricky for me. i know what to do to survive.. however when i try to KILL thats where i have not been as successful. recently  i've tried going FULL STR.. but the damage is still meehh..   
RETIRED BARB
i quit barb just playin' support classes i am no good in 1v1.

i give up PK too hard everyone too stronk. i guess i'm forever noob x.x

Offline Barbie

• Old Player
  • Let them hate me, so long as they fear me

If they dont know how to play a class than thats not the characters fault. I've got a word for you my friend, an ugly little word called prejudice ;)
Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:18 am by EvilTouch

Offline Barbie

• Old Player
  • Let them hate me, so long as they fear me
i built my sage barb for the sole purpose of being a catapuller.. TWs have been a blast.  :D

1vs1's are a bit tricky for me. i know what to do to survive.. however when i try to KILL thats where i have not been as successful. recently  i've tried going FULL STR.. but the damage is still meehh..

I had the same problem when I first started my barb. Sage Vit barbs are suited to 1 job, and 1 job only: Taking lots of punishment. Which is why they are commonly used as cata pullers. You can go full Str but then you cant hit people because your dex is too low. I have found adding about 200 dex and using Blood Bath gives you around 8000 to 9000 Accuracy which is pretty good whilst at the same time not dropping your attack power too much.

The problem barbs have in 1v1 is that they have few attacks which are good for zapping lots of HP in 1 go. Armageddon is the only one capable of mass destruction and in using it you

1. Have to be out of tiger form = Less def
2. Zap down your own HP

I've always found that armagedon fails me and usually gets me killed. Maybe I'm not using it right and I should be using it in a part of another combo than the one i currently use but unless im in a no fire zone and i'm just messing about, I wont use armagedon at all.

But having said that, Barbs regular attacks are stronger than most. On a good day you can be hitting LA users for 2 to 4k per regular hit and by using dragon Zerk up to 8 or 9k. Thats before you use devour or any genie enhahncements. Ive taken down some AA R8 users in about 6 regular hits before by getting a sucession of zerks and crits. A lot of people slag barbs off because people dont know how to use them. Thats bullshit. Barbs are good chasracters but EPW is pretty much non PvE area and thats where barbs help a lot. But as for PvP, it all comes down to knowing your class. I'm no expert at barbs and I wouldnt say I'm great in PvP in general, but I can kill most sins I come accross as well as mages just by using a few normal skills then finish them of with regular hits. The only people I struggle to beat are HA users because they have high physical defence and Barbs have 0 magic attacks. But they struggle to beat me too, in the end it would probably come down to whos charm runs out first and who gets the spark in.

But back to the subject at hand, archers can have 5aps and for pvp the damage can be good depending who you are facing (because its APS). PVE is probably op here too, however the archers biggest drawback I would say is the fact they cannot use BP which helps so much when using APS.
Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013, 03:46 pm by Barbie