Epic Perfect World

EC Pricing debate (Old Shop thread)

Offline Nea

• Game Master
  • https://imgur.com/a/vsZDCYv
http://epicpw.com/index.php?topic=24341.msg403613;topicseen#new
this guy sells for too much in every1's opinion, i dont see people whining in his thread :(

Offline Reikarah

• Characters: Reikarah | TurtleKick | Kashika
I understand where you're coming from, but there are artists here who do full body(and do it quite well) who only ask for what?3-4k ec MAX?
This isn't even a full body to begin with, it's simply a portrait.You'll still be getting buyers, but not as many as before.People like Astralis(I'm gonna use you as an example sorry babe) has made portraits of people, and she does it in a realistic manner.If you're that busy in your life, then why not take your time on these portraits one on one?
That's just my point of view anyway, it's your art and you get to decide how much you want to sell it, but maybe put a reasonable price?Also, this is a game not real life.  O:-)

The game is the game. I'm a real person with real time, a real life and real needs. I have other personal artistic projects and am trying to make a professional career out of them. This is for fun, but if it's cutting into time I could otherwise be putting towards real life projects then I at least need some decent compesnation to feel like it's worth it.

Comparing other artists is like comparing apples and oranges. We all have vastly different skill ranges, styles as well as experience. Pricing is a culmination of all of those in addition to wages per hour. A fullybody portrait is never going to be worth the exact same as another artist's fullbody. I do cel-shading which happens to cut down on more time than an artist who would utizlize full blending techniques. In addition, an artist with 4 years experience is going to be cheaper than an artist with 10 years experience and so on. Art isn't mass produced, it's tailor made.  I might get less buyers, but I also would get paid more. At the current price, one commission is worth 8 times the previous amount. It's as if I would be drawing for 8 people in one sitting.

If you guys don't think my art is worth 8k, it's as simple as not buying from me.
Last Edit: Oct 17, 2015, 05:15 pm by Iron Luck

Offline soyi

• suck
  • Characters: soyi & soyu
The game is the game. I'm a real person with real time, a real life and real needs. I have other personal artistic projects and am trying to make a professional career out of them. This is for fun, but if it's cutting into time I could otherwise be putting towards real life projects then I at least need some decent compesnation to feel like it's worth it.

Comparing other artists is like comparing apples and oranges. We all have vastly different skill ranges, styles as well as experience. Pricing is a culmination of all of those in addition to wages per hour. A fullybody portrait is never going to be worth the exact same as another artist's fullbody. I do cel-shading which happens to cut down on more time than an artist whow would utizlize full blending techniques. In addition, an artist with 4 years experience is going to be cheaper than an artist with 10 years experience and so on. Art isn't mass produced, it's tailor made.  I might get less buyers, but I also would get paid more. At the current price, one commission is worth 8 times the previous amount. It's as if I would be drawing for 8 people in one sitting.

If you guys don't think my art is worth 8k, it's as simple as not buying from me.
You said this already, but like I said put me off the list
I'm not gonna continue on simply because I have enough people saying I'm a b*tch
Do what you'd like, I simple gave an opinion
Take me off the list

Offline Echo

• Retired Staff Member
I would if I'd care about the things he sells, which I don't.
I'm not complaining about pricing ijs, tbh if I was still playing AND farming hell if I'd have taken off my spot, it's amazing art.
But she said she's doing it mostly for fun. And I won't say more cuz then ppl will say I'm a b!tch lol

So it's only a problem because you don't play anymore? That's not fair either.
And just because it's for fun does not mean someone shouldn't value their time.

Quote from: Arashiwf
i remember the fashion

Offline Moogle

• Forum Veteran
  • Characters: Moogle Serendipity
So much complaining. If you don't like the price don't buy it. 
OT: I think your art work is great. Keep up the good work.

Offline Nea

• Game Master
  • https://imgur.com/a/vsZDCYv

Kappa

8k seems fair, anything under is actually too unpriced imo. will probably be the only thing to keep u motivated to carry on drawing.

Offline 𝐋𝐢𝐧𝐚

• Forum Veteran
Hey! just draw no matter what. :monkey-25: Much respect,and im looking to see amazing art works from you

Last Edit: Oct 17, 2015, 06:36 pm by Leonora

Offline Echo

• Retired Staff Member
Take it like this, you go buy a bread which it says its 1$ then at the register u find out that while u looked for potatos they raised the price to 8$.
That's the only thing I didn't see fair, if I know I don't have the ecs for a piece of art which is amazing I wouldn't order it in the first place to confuse and take someone else's spot who could have paid.
I do appreciate someone who can draw and everyone should know that about me, her art is amazing and not only but I don't remember someone here raising the price while still having a list on. Or if they did ,it wasnt 8x higher.
And about your art, if you'd take commissions on dA or patreon or something with real money when I get my card I'd be first to buy, tbh I've wanted another drawing from you for months I just feel too bad to even dare to ask you for one knowing its for free and how much work u have to do with fash.

I understand she raised the prices while people already had spots, I understand why it would upset people.
However, people could have just said "aw ok, take me off the list please" because she posted that she raised the prices, she could have just not said a word.
On top of that she explained why they were raised, the reasoning behind it is completely fair. I won't say whether or not I agree with the prices, but I understand the reasons completely.

I'm not saying people should agree with the pricing, at all, that's all based on opinion and personal preference. I just don't feel like it's necessary to make posts saying her prices are not fair and she should lower them.
If you don't agree with it, simply don't buy, get taken off the list. That's enough of a message in itself.
It's nothing personal against any of you, I just don't like seeing artists get shit because art is an unappreciated form of work these days and it can be hard to make a living off of it.
In all honesty, I don't sell drawings because I can't even put a price on myself because I devalue my time, but that's a whole other subject.

Anyway, I've said my piece. I won't post more unless I have more to say, I need to go work on things now.

i remember the fashion

Offline Soleil

• it's been a while :)
  • happy holidays :)
  • Characters: TinyEG
  • Faction: Gemini
art-making is unlike anything else in the world. the only argument is that it is worth exactly what the buyer is willing to pay. period. there should not be any other argumentation whatsoever and putting down the artist by comparing him/her to other artists is very demeaning to that particular artist, and to others in general.

experience, time, techniques/mediums and/or efforts are absolutely irrelevant when it comes to digital art, and even if the real art market is different (for real, traditional art-making), the same principle applies: whatever buyers are willing to pay is what drives it.

as someone said, if you cannot afford it, just walk by, find another artist but respect every artist and their works.
Il faut collectionner les pierres qu'on vous jette. C'est le début d'un piédestal.― Berlioz

Offline Calamity

• Forum Veteran
  • Sic Parvis Magna
  • Characters: Calamity
  • Faction: Crow
Why are some complaining on the price? If you like the art and have the EC then get it, if you don't have the EC then shut up.

Offline Echo

• Retired Staff Member
art-making is unlike anything else in the world. the only argument is that it is worth exactly what the buyer is willing to pay. period. there should not be any other argumentation whatsoever and putting down the artist by comparing him/her to other artists is very demeaning to that particular artist, and to others in general.

experience, time, techniques/mediums and/or efforts are absolutely irrelevant when it comes to digital art, and even if the real art market is different (for real, traditional art-making), the same principle applies: whatever buyers are willing to pay is what drives it.

as someone said, if you cannot afford it, just walk by, find another artist but respect every artist and their works.

Digital art is not any less real than traditional art.
And those things are not irrelevant at all. Digital art still requires time and effort, has technique with it and still requires experience to be good at it.

i remember the fashion

Offline Lena

• Forum Veteran
  • Characters: Wish

And those things are not irrelevant at all. Digital art still requires time and effort, has technique with it and still requires experience to be good at it.
^This.

Now you guys can shut the fck up bc the price is still too low in my opinion.

On this thread topic: Nice work you got there. O:-) I wont be getting it now bc i need to use my ecs on gears so yea :'(

Offline Soleil

• it's been a while :)
  • happy holidays :)
  • Characters: TinyEG
  • Faction: Gemini

i'm afraid you did not understand completely what i said, and i never said digital was 'less real'. if it was, i would not be doing it :/

but -- and you will agree -- digital images are more easily manipulated. also, physically, one is working on a (apx) 4" x6" rectangle, no matter how big the print, whereas with traditional art, formats are way bigger and require more (physical) work, because we are working with matter directly. that is why so many art collectors refuse to see digital art as real art. a big debate has been going on for quite a while now, and i guess it will never be completely resolved.

idk if you read the DA forums but there, i was shocked to learn that many digital artists are unable to draw with pen/paper or to paint with any medium (watercolour, oils, etc), and many admit being too lazy to try. hence why digital artists are not considered serious art-makers. commercially, tho, they make a living better than traditional artists. quite the paradox!

as to your second sentence, what i mean is that, in both mediums, nothing matters but the price the buyer is willing to pay. one should not compare the efforts of one artist to the efforts of others to base their ''evaluation''.  
Il faut collectionner les pierres qu'on vous jette. C'est le début d'un piédestal.― Berlioz

Offline Reikarah

• Characters: Reikarah | TurtleKick | Kashika
idk if you read the DA forums but there, i was shocked to learn that many digital artists are unable to draw with pen/paper or to paint with any medium (watercolour, oils, etc), and many admit being too lazy to try.
That's quite interesting. I personally started out traditionally (just coloured pencils and inks) but moved to digital because I wanted to do comics. However every time I've tried out a new medium say like pixel art, I found the only learning curve is the medium itself. All skills still transfer over. I can't think it would be anything else but laziness if they can't draw traditionally. I mean Bob Ross spells out painting in A-B-Cs for you.

In any case, here's a gift of apology for the forum. I was aware that the price jump would come off unfair, but there wasn't any way around in my head. This is the original background for Luli's picture but I didn't think it matched what she asked for. Anyone can use this background for their own commissions or personal use, it's 100% free. It's likely I'll do more free backgrounds in the future.

Or if glitter is more your thing there's this older background.

I'm currently waiting for Zyokunt to get back to me to work on theirs. I know the list is still shambles, it's a bit of a mess to wade through haha.
Last Edit: Oct 17, 2015, 08:34 pm by Iron Luck