Epic Perfect World

digital: SAI tips sharing

Offline Soleil

• it's been a while :)
  • happy holidays :)
  • Characters: TinyEG
  • Faction: Gemini
as i finished my second digital painting with SAI, i'm still learning new things. i thought i'd make this thread for digital graphic users who care to share anything they want about their methods.

i've read somewhere that for an artist, it's nice to work hard but even nicer to work smart. so anything that can help us work better and faster is welcome here.

tips that will be posted here may be covered on one of those zillions tutorials on the net but it doesn't matter. if what you discover on your own makes you work better and you'd like to share it, you're welcome to it.

the tip i'd like to share today is about the pin that holds the cape on my male figure (here)

i started to draw it normally on a separate layer but got very frustrated because it was all pixelated and really ugly, it's size being so small for such a large canvas.

so,

- clicked on the dotted square (above the tools) --> checked the transform box --> made the layer way bigger and re-drew/coloured it nicely

- retransformed the layer to its original size

and voilà, the pin was nicely done.

as i mentioned, if you want to share and/or comment, you are all welcome to it.
Il faut collectionner les pierres qu'on vous jette. C'est le début d'un piédestal.― Berlioz

Offline GelloAce

• Characters: Kiero
  • Faction: Ducks
Thanks for this, gave me idea for the eyes xD

Offline Soleil

Thanks for this, gave me idea for the eyes xD

np, Gello, and i'm sure there is more than one way to do that. for instance, the edit button but i'm still not sure how/when to use it.
Il faut collectionner les pierres qu'on vous jette. C'est le début d'un piédestal.― Berlioz

Offline Soleil

another one i just found: how to turn a coloured layer to grey tones

- click on layer that is already coloured and you want to make grey
- go to "layer" (at the top) ---> "luminance to transparency" option
- et voilà, your layer's colours have turned to grey tones.

note that this works only on the regular layers, not on the linework layers.

i find this particularly useful if, for instance, instead of shading as usual (darker base colours), i can make a picture in grey tones only, then use either a gradient tool or a layer to colour it (on top of the grey tones layer). esp good for night scenes and the likes.

Offline ╰❇╮

• Nurse
  • Characters: IDesire - Amatusaru - MoonFall
I'm so keeping a eye on this. TYSM Soleil. I really love how detailed you explain everything. 

Shazzy my cutie wifu!
✿   Ty Royal for the lovely art   ✿

Offline Death

• Old Player
Another super pro tip: if you want to shade an area of color, ex. the char's skin or hair, make a new layer directly above the skin/hair layer and check ''çlipping group'' :police: That way the coloring won't go beyond the borders.

Offline Soleil

I'm so keeping a eye on this. TYSM Soleil. I really love how detailed you explain everything.

Another super pro tip: if you want to shade an area of color, ex. the char's skin or hair, make a new layer directly above the skin/hair layer and check ''çlipping group'' :police: That way the coloring won't go beyond the borders.

thanks Lucy, i try my best to explain, so it is less confusing.

thanks Letka, this saves a lot of time, no need to erase after colouring.

Offline Soleil

just found this, i'm sure many of you knew already, but remember, i'm still learning!

how to draw a perfect straight line in SAI (not a linework layer, just a normal one):

- use any brush/pencil tool

- make a point on your layer

- then hold the shift key

- point your tool down to where you want the end of the line to be

et voilà, your straight line is there!
(this is now saving me so much time!)

Offline (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Panda

• (● ̄(エ) ̄●)ゞテレテレ
just found this, i'm sure many of you knew already, but remember, i'm still learning!

how to draw a perfect straight line in SAI (not a linework layer, just a normal one):

- use any brush/pencil tool

- make a point on your layer

- then hold the shift key

- point your tool down to where you want the end of the line to be

et voilà, your straight line is there!
(this is now saving me so much time!)
... i didnt know XD TY

Offline Soleil

... i didnt know XD TY
yea me too, i'm so glad i found out, hope it helps you too. i kind of got tired of having to use a linework layer all the time.
have fun :)

Offline (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Panda

• (● ̄(エ) ̄●)ゞテレテレ
yea me too, i'm so glad i found out, hope it helps you too. i kind of got tired of having to use a linework layer all the time.
have fun :)
much O:
first one i did with SAI actually (well some stuff at PS but gave up somewhere in middle)xD
dont know much bout it ):
looking into tutorials mostly

Offline Soleil

much O:
first one i did with SAI actually (well some stuff at PS but gave up somewhere in middle)xD
dont know much bout it ):
looking into tutorials mostly
wow very nice work, love the colours mostly, very bold and impressive.

i gave up on PS (i only got elements only) 'cause it uses too much resources so i can't work fast. besides i learned SAI first and i'm still exploring many options i haven't tried yet.

found the straight line thingy by accident, thought i was on a linework layer and tried to move a bunch of lines around with the shift key, first thing i know i had a straight line instead on a normal layer, haha!

working on my third digital painting (with background). found something else too.

When the file is too big and it slows down my pc, i finish one element (like an object) (usually in 3 layers), merge them and save it as a .jpg then throw that layer away from my canvas. when i want it back in my work, i can copy/paste it back. by breaking down a big folder, it saves a lot of resources and time. if this is not clear, just ask me and i will explain better.

Offline Soleil

a decent eraser for SAI:

i was very frustrated with the actual eraser in sai, no matter how hard i pressed, i could never erase properly so i went googling for a better one, i found this link: ERASER

since i'm using it, i'm very happy, it erases thoroughly and instantly and, remember the straight line tip earlier? well, with this eraser, you can make a straight line with the eraser and the mess is gone for good.

enjoy :)

Angelica

a decent eraser for SAI:

i was very frustrated with the actual eraser in sai, no matter how hard i pressed, i could never erase properly so i went googling for a better one, i found this link: ERASER

since i'm using it, i'm very happy, it erases thoroughly and instantly and, remember the straight line tip earlier? well, with this eraser, you can make a straight line with the eraser and the mess is gone for good.

enjoy :)
that's a great idea, i thought i was the only one who found the basic eraser really annoying and barely effective