Epic Perfect World

For all graphic tablet users, a few questions

Offline King Kazma

• Fox
  • Here i am not.
I'd love to share my information but it's the wrong kind of tablet :<

Astralis

Thanks for the tips and replies guys, I would comment to everyone individually but as my power is out and phone being extremely dumb I can't do that  :'(
As for sai, I will surely try it out even though I used Photoshop forever and got used on bunch of different options since they were needed for the type of manipulations I work on. For now I'll stay in ps because I got the tablet only to help myself with tweaking and finish ups that get reallly frustrating with mouse, but I will also try out painting as once upon a time I was decent in drawing on paper.
keep the comments and tips coming, they all help :-)
thannks again!

Astralis

I'd love to share my information but it's the wrong kind of tablet :<
booo  :sad: I hope mine is good enough

Offline Echo

• Retired Staff Member
For PS, make sure you have pressure sensitivity on the brushes you are using.
And for easier blending, hold alt while using a brush to switch to the color picker for a second.
Plenty of brushes can be found on dA.

More SAI brushes:
http://ptsbrushes.tumblr.com/

Oh, and shortcuts for SAI and PS, for those interested.
There's a lot of stuff in SAI I didn't know you could do for a long time(like hiding the panels and only viewing the canvas).

http://lumaga.deviantart.com/art/The-Shortcuts-Glosary-320468552

Quote from: Arashiwf
i remember the fashion

Offline Medea

• Team J
  • Mana was here ♥♥♥
Last Edit: Dec 24, 2016, 09:46 pm by Medea
♥♥♥ Thank you Mari for the beautiful art. ♥♥♥

Offline Zuxtain

You should use Photoshop if you're more comfortable with it. But give SAI or GIMP a go. I personally use photoshop because I'm more familiar with it and haven't had the time to try SAI or GIMP.

One tip is to use layers if you don't already. It makes it easy to delete errors or parts that you don't like. So for example, I have different layers for different parts of the body. So if I don't like the hair, I can delete the layer or hide the layer until I find a hairstyle that I like more.

Astralis

You should use Photoshop if you're more comfortable with it. But give SAI or GIMP a go. I personally use photoshop because I'm more familiar with it and haven't had the time to try SAI or GIMP.

One tip is to use layers if you don't already. It makes it easy to delete errors or parts that you don't like. So for example, I have different layers for different parts of the body. So if I don't like the hair, I can delete the layer or hide the layer until I find a hairstyle that I like more.
Yes I know everything about layers. Had a picture while ago that had roughly 30ish layers grouped :-x I was just wondering how everyone had their settings etc and if it was some "global" setting that everyone use. Ty for the tips though :-)

Offline Rumi

• x x x
  • Characters: Xanadu
  • Faction: Xpendable
the biggest advantage that sai has over photoshop is the stabilizer for the brushes which makes your lines smoother if you're someone like me who uses too sketchy strokes  :sad:

also I always preferred sai's coloring over photoshop's

if you're really comfortable with photoshop you can stick with that if you want, but I'd definitely use sai for doing lineart.  and you should also definitely try both at some point and finding a good balance since you can open photoshop files (including layers) in sai (unfortunately, not the other way around, but you can still save the sai file as a .png and open it in photoshop even if you lose the layers)

as for brushes and settings, that's what too situational to give a set guide for.  but if you want to look for inspiration I'd suggest going to art sites like deviantart and just look up guides, they usually have several brush setting examples that you can try out

like:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Brush-settings-for-Paint-tool-SAI-439941196

http://www.deviantart.com/art/DOWNLOAD-LINK-GUIDE-Cakwe-s-Photoshop-Brush-416999914

Offline ╰❇╮

• Nurse
  • Characters: IDesire - Amatusaru - MoonFall
Omg you got a tablet!!! :tiger-4: :tiger-4:

I'm so happy for you^^

Shazzy my cutie wifu!
✿   Ty Royal for the lovely art   ✿

Offline ᴘʜᴏɴᴋ

• Forum Veteran
  • "Aquellos que combaten a los demonios deben ser conscientes de los suyos..."
  • Characters: Twizzley
interesting drawings!

Astralis

the biggest advantage that sai has over photoshop is the stabilizer for the brushes which makes your lines smoother if you're someone like me who uses too sketchy strokes  :sad:

also I always preferred sai's coloring over photoshop's

if you're really comfortable with photoshop you can stick with that if you want, but I'd definitely use sai for doing lineart.  and you should also definitely try both at some point and finding a good balance since you can open photoshop files (including layers) in sai (unfortunately, not the other way around, but you can still save the sai file as a .png and open it in photoshop even if you lose the layers)

as for brushes and settings, that's what too situational to give a set guide for.  but if you want to look for inspiration I'd suggest going to art sites like deviantart and just look up guides, they usually have several brush setting examples that you can try out

like:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Brush-settings-for-Paint-tool-SAI-439941196

http://www.deviantart.com/art/DOWNLOAD-LINK-GUIDE-Cakwe-s-Photoshop-Brush-416999914

Thanks for reply! And yeah I mostly use deviantart as a source of inspiration when I'm at point of having none, and also as my resource of stock photos/brushes/pngs and whatnot.
I'll check those in a bit.

All these are making me feel like I'm a newcomer to everything, and not someone who spent years and hours sitting infront of screen and photoshopping  :'(
Omg you got a tablet!!! :tiger-4: :tiger-4:

I'm so happy for you^^
Yes I didddd  ^-^ but that doesn't change anything...yet  :rolleyes:  :-[

Offline Rumi

• x x x
  • Characters: Xanadu
  • Faction: Xpendable
Thanks for reply! And yeah I mostly use deviantart as a source of inspiration when I'm at point of having none, and also as my resource of stock photos/brushes/pngs and whatnot.
I'll check those in a bit.

All these are making me feel like I'm a newcomer to everything, and not someone who spent years and hours sitting infront of screen and photoshopping

the first time I got my tablet was many years ago and I was so excited to use photoshop, but then I opened it up and couldn't even figure out how to get a blank page to draw on so I rq for years LOL

so you have a big advantage having practiced with photoshop for a long time, you can incorporate what you already know in your drawings

it's fairly simple when you catch on, everything else after the basics are just little details to make what you already have better

Astralis

the first time I got my tablet was many years ago and I was so excited to use photoshop, but then I opened it up and couldn't even figure out how to get a blank page to draw on so I rq for years LOL

so you have a big advantage having practiced with photoshop for a long time, you can incorporate what you already know in your drawings

it's fairly simple when you catch on, everything else after the basics are just little details to make what you already have better

Yeah I guess haha. Right now I'm fighting with losing my cursor and finding it on the second screen, and my circled strokes being...not so circle-ish. Too used on mouse, I was young and crazy and used to color stuff with mouse instead of investing into a tablet

Offline GelloAce

• Characters: Kiero
  • Faction: Ducks
Hello!

The first thing I did was open Photoshop then start to doodle, but I didn't get what I expected. The Pen Pressure. But thanks to google.

Yeah I guess haha. Right now I'm fighting with losing my cursor and finding it on the second screen

I'm not sure if I get it right, you have dual monitor? If so, you have to set you Tablet preferences in to your main monitor.

I can only give tips with Photoshop, as it is the only program I use.  :-\

Astralis

Hello!

The first thing I did was open Photoshop then start to doodle, but I didn't get what I expected. The Pen Pressure. But thanks to google.

I'm not sure if I get it right, you have dual monitor? If so, you have to set you Tablet preferences in to your main monitor.

I can only give tips with Photoshop, as it is the only program I use.  :-\

I have something like that yes and I have the tablet set to my main monitor. I was just a tad lost in first hours of using it, but its better now, getting the hang of it