Epic Perfect World

Drawings request

Offline Soleil

• it's been a while :)
  • happy holidays :)
  • Characters: TinyEG
  • Faction: Gemini
by Lonicera:

Being an artist means you take what you get sometimes-enough said.

by Sideris:

I think that the only fact that she STILL offered quite a high amount of ECs instead of completely backing off, is showing enough respect for all the artists who took part.

by Melody:

A true artist should take pride in their work and enjoy doing it,
not complain about a prize that was never promised.

and here is where the misconception of the "true artist" lies. a "true artist" is a human being with needs like housing, food and clothing, among other things plus providing for their families. just like an engineer or a surgeon, a "true artist" has gone thru the education cursus ie BFA's and even masters and yet, everyone thinks they're entitled to get a picture for free, 'cause well, we are true artists, therefore we should be starving people.

that's ridiculous. and it's about time that everyone understands it. so, when someone requests artists to come up with a sexy representation of themselves, they have to honour their deal, no matter who participates.

and to you, future pro artists, you better start respecting yourselves and your work, including getting better at what you do. then maybe you can lose that stupid notion that an artist has to starve in order to be respected.

Il faut collectionner les pierres qu'on vous jette. C'est le début d'un piédestal.― Berlioz

Offline Soleil

Enough with the personal attacks, take it off the forum. this thread is one person requesting anyone who so feels inclined to do an art submission for them to do so. no payment is or was ever guaranteed so submit at your own risk/enjoyment and you may or may not receive a payment at the OPs discretion. if anyone has a problem with this then dont post. Points have been made and arguments will not be won by either side. lets stick to just the OPs intention because I would hate to have their competition closed because some people cannot let an issue go. oh and not letting go means posting again for a reason outside of complimenting existing art or submitting an entry. dont be that person, be better than that. on that note, Gms dont close the thread, artists submit your works if desired, art fans make your complements, anyone and anything else make a thread elsewhere to talk or complain please and thank you

long story short, you just want to shut me up? hehe...
Il faut collectionner les pierres qu'on vous jette. C'est le début d'un piédestal.― Berlioz

Offline Elena

• Old player. Veno master.
  • Don't worry, my tattoos don't like you either.
  • Characters: Nya
by Lonicera:

by Sideris:

by Melody:

and here is where the misconception of the "true artist" lies. a "true artist" is a human being with needs like housing, food and clothing, among other things plus providing for their families. just like an engineer or a surgeon, a "true artist" has gone thru the education cursus ie BFA's and even masters and yet, everyone thinks they're entitled to get a picture for free, 'cause well, we are true artists, therefore we should be starving people.

that's ridiculous. and it's about time that everyone understands it. so, when someone requests artists to come up with a sexy representation of themselves, they have to honour their deal, no matter who participates.

and to you, future pro artists, you better start respecting yourselves and your work, including getting better at what you do. then maybe you can lose that stupid notion that an artist has to starve in order to be respected.
Thats one of the reasons I wanted to pay everyone in first place, it wasnt a sure prize so I don't see your point.
If you're going for a career only as an artist you happy with what you get. None said anything about no paying LOL
Everyone said you should be happy with what you get sometimes, none of the famous artists we all know about had a good life. Their paintings weren't even sold sometimes so as long as you STILL get something for what you do, no need to complain.

Offline Sideris

• Angie
  • Characters: Sideris | Baderis
  • Faction: Ducks

There was a lot more in my post, but well.

Let me put it in other words for you: since the prize wasn't stated clearly TO BEGIN with (I'm thinking of giving out 1k ECs doesn't equal to I will absolutely give out 1k ECs, here, sign up this contract.) none should have expected 1k ECs FOR SURE.
She stated she's broke and hardly could put together those ECs, yet she did, with a reduction of only 300 ECs on the initially proposed prize. Which sounds quite fair and respectful to me.

None said artists should be poor and starving, and living like Bohemiens. But I also hardly think that 1k ECs will buy any food for your children.
It's not only about the concept of artists being payed for their work, it's also about the context. You're on a forum, of a game, where the things you gain won't get you anything in real life straight forward.
You should focus more on the amount of chances these things can give you to be more known and spread your artworks.
Instead, you're acting like a horse with blinkers. You go just straight forward and refuse to see what's around you.

As I previously said, people won't respect you as an artist only because of your artwork. They also want to see the person who's behind them. And you ain't going very far with this attitude.

Muffy

whether or not we need these ec's is irrelevant...
you can keep your 700 ec to yourself, that should make your cheap self very happy.

^

Sounds like your jimmies are more rustled than theirs. Honestly, if you didn't care so much about the EC reduction, this wouldn't be happening right now. Imo, an artist should take their drawings as experience not their worth $$$$. If I was as talented as you guys and the other artists here, I would be happy to take how much I would be given since experience > has more worth than the price of my drawing.

Offline Soleil

as i said before, it's not the amount, it's the principle. why should artists be cut a shorter deal than anyone else, i presume it's that because we love what we do so much. indeed. i do. but i also enjoy being appreciated for what i do.

when a person says "i'm thinking of 1000 ec", absolutely no one would take it to mean that that person would end up going under their pledge. on the contrary. if that person appreciates the work put into what is presented, they should honour their "thought".

especially when that person kept begging for more participants. in which case, she/he would not have been able to honour their words, having to go under their 700 ec, say like 500 ec and why not 250 ec, see the logic here?

if that person would have said straight up hey, i want a picture but can't afford it, i'm sure most of us here would have gladly provided one, just for the fun of it. 

but twisting thoughts and words just doesn't cut it, no matter what any and all of you are replying. there are many silent readers who understand my point.

that's how the cookie crumbles.

Offline Rumi

• x x x
  • Characters: Xanadu
  • Faction: Xpendable
I think the dead horse was beaten so much it flattened into a pancake

Offline Echo

• Retired Staff Member
as i said before, it's not the amount, it's the principle. why should artists be cut a shorter deal than anyone else, i presume it's that because we love what we do so much. indeed. i do. but i also enjoy being appreciated for what i do.

when a person says "i'm thinking of 1000 ec", absolutely no one would take it to mean that that person would end up going under their pledge. on the contrary. if that person appreciates the work put into what is presented, they should honour their "thought".

especially when that person kept begging for more participants. in which case, she/he would not have been able to honour their words, having to go under their 700 ec, say like 500 ec and why not 250 ec, see the logic here?

if that person would have said straight up hey, i want a picture but can't afford it, i'm sure most of us here would have gladly provided one, just for the fun of it. 

but twisting thoughts and words just doesn't cut it, no matter what any and all of you are replying. there are many silent readers who understand my point.

that's how the cookie crumbles.
From one artist to another, you are making way too big of a deal out of this.
There is no principle for you to be getting all bothered over.

"Will decide when I close this and see how much ec I have but atm I'm thinking 1k ec for everyone would be good."

This was in the first post.

"Will decide when I close this and see how much ec I have"
Meaning nothing was set in stone. No amount was guaranteed.

"atm I'm thinking 1k ec"
Meaning, the amount could change depending on her end decision.

Ely did not twist anything, it was clearly stated where the reward stood. Why isn't she allowed to go under her intial estimated reward? There are no rules against such a thing, she said she was busy with other things so she wasn't able to make that much ec in the timespan. She was kind enough to offer rewards for all participants, not just one winner. And yet there are complaints because a few "maybes" were involved and that apparently flew over peoples' heads?

And so what if she was asking for more entries? Some people really enjoy getting art, most of the time they're the reason people like you ever get commission work, in the end everyone still got something.

Anyway, I've said my piece. Next time, just don't participate.

Quote from: Arashiwf
i remember the fashion