Epic Perfect World

Valve, AMD & Linux

Offline Harry

• Forum Veteran
  • Faction: Outcasts☆
Well, Linux gaming took its biggest step since Steam v0.1 hit it. Valve have started pumping thousands into development of OpenGL Graphics Drivers which now have increased AMD's FOSS Drivers from 46% increase of FPS to 462% increase of FPS. Running Portal, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Xonotic, Ungine Tropics and Ungine Valley to a better than DirectX quality - amazing. Anonomaly 2 also has arrived on Linux, as well as Civ V. Goat Simulator is in the bugging stage, and many other games, e.g. Watch Dogs have unofficially been reported to being ported over to Linux too.

I'm so happy, and I just wanted to share this. Expect in the next few years the OS Icons on Steam games to swap positions -

Linux/SteamOS, Windows, Mac.

I feel like Windows' next release will either be their last, or have their worst overall percentages of users using it.

Vegas

I feel like Windows' next release will either be their last, or have their worst overall percentages of users using it.

I don't think so. Most ppl skipped windows 8 cause of the garbage UI and barely any improvements, if windows 9 is improved I'm pretty sure it will have a higher install base than windows 8 and I think windows 8 already surpassed vista

Offline Harry

• Forum Veteran
I was implying that SteamOS will grab quite a lot from Windows.

Offline SHINIGAMI

• Pharmaceutical/IT Guy :p
  • May you live every day of your life.
  • Characters: Labs, Labradoodle
I was implying that SteamOS will grab quite a lot from Windows.

will take few years to grab a fair amount of gamers yes. However millions of PCs in universities, offices, general households all over the world and what not will stick to windows still. So i doubt their next windows release will be their last, or worst % usage (unless they make the same mistakes as windows 8, in which case universities, corporate and most household users won't bother and just stick with windows 7) and as they have a much much bigger audience than steamOS does.

SteamOS's focus is primarily on gaming and living room entertainment at the moment. Which will definitely attract a fair amount of gamers but will take a good few years to get there..  Windows still caters for everything else as well as gaming and will continue to do so and hopefully even improve on them.
#Retired #BusyWithThatDadLyf

Offline Harry

• Forum Veteran
I guess so. Chinese Government banned the use of Windows 8 in their Governing body, which I thought was quite funny.

Offline Ormin

I guess so. Chinese Government banned the use of Windows 8 in their Governing body, which I thought was quite funny.

Not funny at all.
No open source, you can't see what the system does.
And anyone (even without any connection with Microsoft) can sneak in some "stuffed" copy.

Or use some exploits still unknown.

scxclfbdnkgw

you are absolutely delusional and ignorant if you really expect windows to die and linux to take over. people have been saying "this is the year" for the past 20 years, they're still wrong and they always will be.

if anyone actually cared about *nix they would've done this way sooner. they don't, everything is always being worked on for windows' part first then ported over second.

Offline BeNicePlease

• Forum Veteran
  • How is life this easy?

Offline Harry

• Forum Veteran
you are absolutely delusional and ignorant if you really expect windows to die and linux to take over. people have been saying "this is the year" for the past 20 years, they're still wrong and they always will be.

if anyone actually cared about *nix they would've done this way sooner. they don't, everything is always being worked on for windows' part first then ported over second.

Valve officially stated that's going to change. You know nothing (Jon Snow). Besides, I didn't come here to belittle Windows, I came here to show the success of Linux. Sorry if you got the impression I'm wanting/expecting Windows to die, I just said that most gamers will convert to SteamOS/Linux in the next 2-5 years.

Vegas

I just said that most gamers will convert to SteamOS/Linux in the next 2-5 years.
No they won't. Most gamers nowadays don't even know what linux is tbh...

Offline Harry

• Forum Veteran
No they won't. Most gamers nowadays don't even know what linux is tbh...

You'll see.

Offline Harry

• Forum Veteran
I'm seeing already
http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/valves-rich-geldreich-notes-some-problems-with-opengl-directx-12-will-leave-it-in-the-dust.3676
I would bet that most gamers will still use windows in 10 years

PS4 have already showed that OpenGL can run better.

Also...

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

"20% faster than Windows"

I also wonder why AMD are boosing their drivers to work better with OpenGL.

"Valve has long-standing relationships with AMD, Nvidia, and Intel, where Valve reports driver bugs and the GPU maker fixes them in a timely fashion."

Only thing that's stopped Linux/OpenGL becoming #1 is the little number of pre-loading.

However - SteamOS Box, Dell Hybrid PCs going Ubuntu 14.04. It's changing, accept it!
Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:02 am by Harry

Offline BeNicePlease

• Forum Veteran
  • How is life this easy?
Too much effort

Serious gamers just buy the top tier PC equipment and all games will run perfectly.
Throw in a couple of gfx cards and a couple of screens. Top tier CPU way more than enough.
Why waste time on free OS that needs modding to work with the game.

PC nerds will be the ones testing out steams new OS. Srs gamers will just keep on gaming and later on down the line if its better than windows(in more ways than just being 10% faster in games) then they will switch lol

Offline Harry

• Forum Veteran
Too much effort

Serious gamers just buy the top tier PC equipment and all games will run perfectly.
Throw in a couple of gfx cards and a couple of screens. Top tier CPU way more than enough.
Why waste time on free OS that needs modding to work with the game.

PC nerds will be the ones testing out steams new OS. Srs gamers will just keep on gaming and later on down the line if its better than windows(in more ways than just being 10% faster in games) then they will switch lol

From my experience, Linux Distro's are far more 'user-friendly' than Windows'. More to the point, there's no limits. And only about 2 viruses that can actually affect your PC; it's a sense of freedom... No limits, and no risks/threats. It's more than just being 'nerdy'.