Epic Perfect World

gaming-addiction-a-mental-disorder

Offline ᴰᴱᴬᴰ†

• FASHAN for LAIF
  • Characters: Oleander
I'm NOT addicted k

K

KKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK?

and I'm absolutely normal :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-20: :normal-20: :normal-21: :normal-21: :normal-9: :normal-9: :normal-9: :normal-13: :normal-13: :normal-14: :normal-14: :normal-12: :normal-12: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-33: :normal-26:

Signature by Lonicera
✞ If my wings should fail me, Lord. Please meet me with another pair✞
(  ㅅ  )      α===B

Offline Pookie

• Characters: ImmaKiLLYou
  • Faction: Factionless
Being addicted to games is NOT a mental disorder. In fact as the Yahiko's link --- > http://www.gosugamers.net/heroesofthestorm/features/3795-gaming-addiction-a-mental-disorder says , "Gamers do better in careers and in their well-being " and " Online games, or video games in general, enhance the gamers' hand-eye coordination which is very useful for professions like surgeon. It is a mind-stimulating activity that can develop a gamers' presence of mind, analytical skills and alertness ". " A study conducted in 2007 in the International Gaming Research in the United Kingdom examined the social interactions occurring within and outside MMORPGs. The results found that MMORPGs have a high socially interactive environments that can provide opportunity to create strong relationships." " This also proves that the game has nothing to do with the addiction. "

While it is true that there are gamers who get addicted, it is not enough to even include it as a mental disorder since the addiction is more correlated with the player rather than the game

Offline SHINIGAMI

• Pharmaceutical/IT Guy :p
  • May you live every day of your life.
  • Characters: Labs, Labradoodle

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Again +1,

Anyways, great article. Good arguments in it and the conclusion they reached is nothing short of reality.

People will always fear what they don't understand while others try to take advantage of that. ;o

#Retired #BusyWithThatDadLyf

Offline Shaylyn

I started playing games as an escape.  Gaming is partially why I'm still alive, as odd as this sounds.  I was bullied in school.  I didn't have many friends, so when I came home, playing a game for a few hours was the way I kept sane.  When I was in the 7th grade, I used gaming in conjunction with writing.  When I had my breakdown 8 years ago (which included withdrawing from everything I loved, which included gaming and writing) I picked up gaming again, as an escape to keep the bad thoughts away.  Gaming was a constant, whereas I suffered from writer's block and had a harder time recovering from that.  I have an anxiety disorder and talking to people in real life is actually a hard thing for me.  What made it slightly easier? Gaming.  I started playing MMO's on my down time and it soothed me.  I chose a game that ended up being a huge money grab, but if it wasn't for PWI, and gaming in general, I'd either be dead or in a loony bin somewhere.

People like to group all gamers as lazy addicts who haven't bathed in months and starve their kids.  Some of us use games to actually be a functional citizen of society.

Finally someone says that. I was bullied as well and met my fiance on a game actually. So gaming is also what keeps me sane. I have anxiety and also depression, If it wasnt for my friends i have made on games being able to talk to them is great and if i have an issue they are there for me. They don't judge like most people i meet irl.

Offline Harry

• Forum Veteran
  • Faction: Outcasts☆
Games are like my Salvation. Whenever I'm feeling down or anything, games always cheer me up. Games have taught me everything; especially grammatically, as before I wrote like an idiot. They're fun, and a way to develop certain assets and skills that you have.

Offline Shaylyn

I don't think that gaming is an addiction. Although yes some people can put more time into it then they need, they can procrastinate things, but not everyone is like that. So its not fair to say that ok since i have this issue now it has to be the video games. I still have personal relationships that arent hurt any by me playing my games. I still maintain a straight A average in college, I maintain a healthy relationship with my fiance, as well as my friends and family. So no I don't think that playing video games is an addiction.

Offline Mars Attacks!

• Forum Veteran
I found this at the end of the article, I have to agree with the bolded part.

Also, not all gamers who play in long periods of time should automatically be considered addicted. There is a difference between an excessive gamer and an addicted gamer as explained in a case study by Griffiths D. (2010).
In Griffiths' study, both cases spent the same amount of time playing which is 14 hours a day. The difference, which the study pointed out, was the motivation, experience and meaning in gaming. The addicted gamer experienced withdrawal once away from the game. Over time, he had developed dependence to gaming created conflict with his life. The excessive gamer didn't experience any withdrawal, neither did he neglect his responsibilities. He even met his girlfriend through online games and "he did not suffer any conflict or negative problems in his life as a result of his excessive gaming."

Offline DevilKat

Obvious games can be addictive!
But can test. Try to stay a week without playing and without coming to the site.
And see iff you can do it and iff you can how it affects you ;)
Are ready to try

Offline ᴰᴱᴬᴰ†

• FASHAN for LAIF
  • Characters: Oleander
Obvious games can be addictive!
But can test. Try to stay a week without playing and without coming to the site.
And see iff you can do it and iff you can how it affects you ;)
Are ready to try

I've done that.

stayed month (or maybe more) without EPW and not only. And I never tried to visit forums either. Yea I had no pc and mobile or electricity at all but still... :tiger-50:

Signature by Lonicera
✞ If my wings should fail me, Lord. Please meet me with another pair✞
(  ㅅ  )      α===B

Offline eon

• eager 2 learn new things
  • THINK - The Human Intelligence Nears Knowledge??
  • Characters: rishi
  • Faction: Ducks,ALTS
Best quote from a fellow gamer of epic about gaming not sure of ign but its gamer

"I'm a gamer not that i don't have a life, but because i choose to have many"

may not be the exact words but pretty much means the same..

Personal Opinion:
Gaming is just another self interest like fishing, cooking, collecting something etc.,

And if the person knows how to use his / her talent in their interest worthwhile for living then its positive to life else either falls under neutral or negative category depending on time spent on that interest..

Opportunities are there for every self interest just needs the right research and smart work to make it click..

(- rishi)

Signature Credits: http://lonicera-mancer.deviantart.com/
Self Freedom applies only when it doesn't affects the Freedom of another person who follows this quote
happy gaming, have a nice time both in game and in real life :)

PS: Like Insanity's ornaments of magic dmg red/def lvls

http://www.ducks.shivtr.com/
http://alts.shivtr.com/

Offline Droopeh

Gaming is my personal choice of wasting time  :-\
My priorities are ordered like: family>friends>gaming>school and I've been doing JUST fine. In fact, I've got only one grade currently that's less than the maximum possible, even with school being my lowest priority.
Personally, I find that spending anywhere from 2 to 10 hours gaming is normal for me. Sometimes, on a Sunday when my friends tend to do all their schoolwork for the weekends, I tend to game. Since I've already gotten everything I need done on Friday or any other day throughout the week, I can easily afford to spend an entire day devoted to gaming. Otherwise, spending 1-3 hours daily is quite common from me and takes minimal effort to slide in those few hours for gaming within my schedule.
Am I addicted? Probably. If it wasn't for school/schoolwork my days would be split between friends, family time and mostly gaming.
Do I have control over this "addiction"? I'm pretty sure I do. I don't have a problem with staying away from games whatsoever. I generally miss gaming whenever I'm stuck quite literally doing nothing as I find gaming to be more productive than nothing.
I also met a lot of great friends through gaming, so that's another positive asset.

Just felt like sharing my personal experience here xD.
On topic; Article was relatively good though I definitely found things that I didn't quite agree with.

Offline Foxglove

• Forum Veteran
  • Tyrant God
  • Faction: Tyrants
So much denial in this thread, haha. But that's okay, because not everyone is ready or prepared to acknowledge certain things. I maintained straight A's while getting two degrees playing this game, but I can admit I got a little addicted (and no, a little addiction doesnt have to = peeing in a bucket because you can't leave your pc addiction) a couple of different times. It happens to the best of us now and then. Everyone gets caught up in the "world that is pw" sometimes and forgets that in the big scheme of things that this game doesn't really matter. I've seen many, many people do it. >.> It's best to just take a step back every now and then whenever you feel like you're spending too much time or forgetting what the majority of people online are, or ever will be, to you in regards of real relationships/friendships.

Offline lovelydior6

i want to be in ur life unnie <3 but u're so far  >:D >:D >:D

Offline Foxglove

• Forum Veteran
  • Tyrant God
  • Faction: Tyrants
i want to be in ur life unnie <3 but u're so far  >:D >:D >:D

:tiger-8: :tiger-29: :tiger-8: I'm thinking about going back to Korea after I graduate.  :tiger-47:

Offline Calamity

• Forum Veteran
  • Sic Parvis Magna
  • Characters: Calamity
  • Faction: Crow
Some games help relieve stress, granted it does get addicted cause you wanna hit the next level or work more on gear. some points are true, i am addicted to games but i do focus on real life also. thats why i limit myself and my sister bought me this satanic laptop of what she calls god a mac, so atleast my grades are safe....for now that is >=D wait wtf....