Epic Perfect World

gaming-addiction-a-mental-disorder

Offline yahiko

• Through pain we shall achieve peace
  • Characters: shinsuusenju
  • Faction: sync

EricaMurcas

I have heard of this argument multiple times and the outcome will always be the same: There are people that are obsessed (Like spending $3,000 on a game).

Then you have the mid-plane: They game to have fun and escape, they may spend a little money, but not enough to be considered an addict.

Then you have the detached players that just play the game for the hell of it. They don't spend money, they don't loom over the computer for days, they just want to have fun.

I fall at the mid-plane because I could care less if my armor cost me nothing to make but a little time and effort.

You will find these arguments everywhere , even at school. Yes, I actually wrote a paper about gaming. You see the results and the best thing to do is to NOT become one of the obsessed and enjoy the game how it is supposed to be enjoyed: in moderation.

I had a friend that used to be a gaming addict. He was hard core: He spent thousands of dollars on the game and the computers he ran them on. When there was a new expansion, he was normally first in line. He often was late to work or never came to work, he ignored his school work, and he prioritized things all wrong.

Writing is my drug. So, one day, I may be considered a writing junkie. It's all in how you see things. It is sad that there are people that are obsessed to the point of squandering their life away in front of the computer.

If someone in your life has any form of disorder, there is normally a deeper cause than a few pixels on screen. Interesting topic, though; it was a very good read.

Offline SQUISHY BARB

• Characters: SQUlSHY
there is also serious gamer.
get owned 3-0 in 1v1 = fac sig.    :P
SQUlSHY - Sage DPH Barb White Panda
__SQUISHY__ - Demon Mystic - alt

Offline Reality_

• Still new to EPW.Getting Started.
  • Characters: Reality_
  • Faction: No Faction
I have heard of this argument multiple times and the outcome will always be the same: There are people that are obsessed (Like spending $3,000 on a game).

Then you have the mid-plane: They game to have fun and escape, they may spend a little money, but not enough to be considered an addict.

Then you have the detached players that just play the game for the hell of it. They don't spend money, they don't loom over the computer for days, they just want to have fun.

I fall at the mid-plane because I could care less if my armor cost me nothing to make but a little time and effort.

You will find these arguments everywhere , even at school. Yes, I actually wrote a paper about gaming. You see the results and the best thing to do is to NOT become one of the obsessed and enjoy the game how it is supposed to be enjoyed: in moderation.

I had a friend that used to be a gaming addict. He was hard core: He spent thousands of dollars on the game and the computers he ran them on. When there was a new expansion, he was normally first in line. He often was late to work or never came to work, he ignored his school work, and he prioritized things all wrong.

Writing is my drug. So, one day, I may be considered a writing junkie. It's all in how you see things. It is sad that there are people that are obsessed to the point of squandering their life away in front of the computer.

If someone in your life has any form of disorder, there is normally a deeper cause than a few pixels on screen. Interesting topic, though; it was a very good read.

^^ You are one of these.
gaming addiction is a mental disorder  :-\

EricaMurcas

^^ You are one of these.
gaming addiction is a mental disorder  :-\

I love how you assume you know me.

Offline Darunia ஜ

• ...Because it is.
  • Censorship is the bane of creativity.
  • Characters: An ungodly amount
  • Faction: Tragic
I started playing games as an escape.  Gaming is partially why I'm still alive, as odd as this sounds.  I was bullied in school.  I didn't have many friends, so when I came home, playing a game for a few hours was the way I kept sane.  When I was in the 7th grade, I used gaming in conjunction with writing.  When I had my breakdown 8 years ago (which included withdrawing from everything I loved, which included gaming and writing) I picked up gaming again, as an escape to keep the bad thoughts away.  Gaming was a constant, whereas I suffered from writer's block and had a harder time recovering from that.  I have an anxiety disorder and talking to people in real life is actually a hard thing for me.  What made it slightly easier? Gaming.  I started playing MMO's on my down time and it soothed me.  I chose a game that ended up being a huge money grab, but if it wasn't for PWI, and gaming in general, I'd either be dead or in a loony bin somewhere.

People like to group all gamers as lazy addicts who haven't bathed in months and starve their kids.  Some of us use games to actually be a functional citizen of society.

Stay Classy.
Mikau - 150 Sage Archer (unofficially retired)
Darunia - 150 Demon Cleric (unoffical new main)
Catfish - 150 Sage Psy (main PK gal)
Phalanx - 150 Demon BM (because impulsive)

EricaMurcas

+1

Some of us have lives to live that DON'T revolve around video games. Mikau and I are similar as to why we started gaming.

Let's see: I have a job, I go to college, I have a house to take care of, I have a dog to take care of, I live with all guys and sometimes playing mediator before things get out of hand so I'm suuuuuuuch an addict.

scxclfbdnkgw

Why does spending $3,000 make someone an addict? $3,000 isn't a lot of money to a lot of people. It shouldn't be how much you spend in general because I know millionaires who play PWI and buy zen just because they can. It's a shortcut to them because it's cheaper to outright buy the item than it is to grind for it, meaning the time it'd take them to get it manually would be more expensive than just shelling out the cash. It shouldn't just be how much you spend, it should be how much you spend proportionate to how much you earn or are worth. If you spent $3,000 a year on games but you only make $15,000 yeah you might have problems. But if you spent $3,000 and your net worth is $15,000,000 and you'd rather dump a few grand into a game into a seventh jetski or a fourth rolex, what's the problem?

Offline Groovy

• Imperare sibi maximum imperium est
American Psychiatric Association (APA) is nothing more than a group of "doctors" that try to justify selling crapload of hard drugs made by big pharma companies to more and more people. No wonder they try to make up new "diseases" that need to be "treated".

Don't believe me? Compare DSM-5 today to DSM-3 which was made about 30 years ago.

If you want reliable research then check out (multiple) academic sources, at least some of them are not driven by the interest of bussinessmen.

The euphoric feeling when you win a match, kill a boss or unlock an achievement is the same as getting high, as both activities trigger dopamine releases in the brain.

Generalizing that every dopamine release "is bad because it's similar to chemical reaction in brain of addict" will lead us to:
- sport being forbidden
- sex being fobidden
- winning any kind of award - forbidden
- eating chocolate or other delicious food - forbidden
- enjoying art - forbidden
- being happy - mental disorder

During all of above actions your brain releases dopamine.

I'm not saying there are no computer addicts. I'm saying that assumption that every gamer is automatically an addict is wrong on scientific level.
Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014, 06:00 am by Groovy
I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar...

Offline Foxglove

• Forum Veteran
  • Tyrant God
  • Faction: Tyrants
I think gaming addiction is real and I think a ton of people get caught up in it. It's not primary about money for most, it's about time. It's really easy to let mmorpg's take over your life since it's basically an entire community with friends that require little to no effort to maintain, i.e. don't have to go anywhere/spend money to go out. Games like this are a drain and a pretty effective way of procrastinating living your normal life. It's not just the pvp or pve we do, but we spend hours and hours online each day/week just talking with our "friends" or "love interests", who we would probably never hang out with in "rl", whether because of standards or something else. Since I've been playing this game, I've let my personal relationships suffer and done other stupid stuff like gotten out of shape/haven't studied as much as I should/spent a little money on it (primarily pwi, though), and I actually have a lot of regrets with it. I've wasted a ton of time and energy avoiding things I needed to do in my everyday life and only gained mountains of stress dealing with a LOT of people that I would never give the time of a day to normally.

So yes, gaming addiction is real and we've all got to come to terms with how we deal with it.  :-[

Offline Groovy

• Imperare sibi maximum imperium est
(...) Games like this are a drain and a pretty effective way of procrastinating living your normal life. (...)
Only if you let that happen. If you want to procrastinate you will do it no matter what, with or without help of computer. Blocking one way of procrastinating won't turn you into productive person, it will make you find another way of procrastination.

It's funny how people started to panic about game addictions in 21st century while alcohol and drug addictions are still at large.

If anything, I'd take being addicted to games over being addicted to alcohol anyday. Alcohol addict becomes a social outcast, living alone in his world while hardcore MMO player *still* has a contact with real people and he still interacts with society therefore he is more likely to be "cured".

Heck, I know people who have found their "better half" through the game and they are in long-term relationships, some are already happily married. Hardly anti-social.

It's like with knife. You can use a knife to make a delicious sandwich or you can use it to stab someone to death. It doesn't mean that knife is "good" or "bad", it's just a tool that everyone needs to know how to use properly.

So instead of dividing people into categories ("addict gamer", "casual gamer", "non-gamer", etc.) we should focus on teaching ourselves and others how to use the tool (computer, games, etc.) properly.
I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar...

Offline 엔젤ღ

• Sacred Radiance
  • k-pop'ers and yaoi fan ❤
  • Characters: AngeliqMyst
i have chocolate addiction c:
AngeliqMyst - Sage Mystic

yaoi<3

Offline Kia

Generalizing that every dopamine release "is bad because it's similar to chemical reaction in brain of addict" will lead us to:
- sport being forbidden
- sex being fobidden
- winning any kind of award - forbidden
- eating chocolate or other delicious food - forbidden
- enjoying art - forbidden
- being happy - mental disorder

During all of above actions your brain releases dopamine.

Guess we got to stop being happy...  :tiger-12:

Offline Zerk

• Haha Yeah Haha
  • Faction: Xpendable
Why does spending $3,000 make someone an addict? $3,000 isn't a lot of money to a lot of people. It shouldn't be how much you spend in general because I know millionaires who play PWI and buy zen just because they can. It's a shortcut to them because it's cheaper to outright buy the item than it is to grind for it, meaning the time it'd take them to get it manually would be more expensive than just shelling out the cash. It shouldn't just be how much you spend, it should be how much you spend proportionate to how much you earn or are worth. If you spent $3,000 a year on games but you only make $15,000 yeah you might have problems. But if you spent $3,000 and your net worth is $15,000,000 and you'd rather dump a few grand into a game into a seventh jetski or a fourth rolex, what's the problem?

This, someone can happily donate 1000's if they have it, just for faster gear if they cant be bothered farming, not because they have an addiction
Forever in love

Offline VookieCookie

• Forum Veteran
First Argument: An online gaming addict is similar to a drug addict

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

Thats when I finished reading, those scientists need to have their brains damage cured