Epic Perfect World

Stories!

EricaMurcas

So, who all here likes to read or write? If so, what do you use as inspiration and what kind of books (if any) do you like? Me, I'm big on mythology, so when I read American Gods, I wanted to pick up my Encyclopedia of Spirits to see how many I recognized. I will give no spoilers, but I missed a crucial plot point the first time I read American Gods, the second time I'm like: "Damn, how could have I missed that?!" Other than that, I read everything from comics to novels, to fanfiction, so I'm pretty open when it comes to subject matter. I am a huge Stephen King fan and his stories helped me to survive high school because I focused more on the story than people picking on me. I was very pissed off at Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining; half the shit didn't even ***ing happen in the book. /nerd rage mode. We have a small library at my house, so we welcome anyone who visits us to read whatever they want. I asked my husband if he liked to write and he said: "Nah, I'll leave that to you." So, I started writing fanfiction and role playing. I also love poetry, especially Invictus. So, I've talked enough! What do you like? :tiger-17:

Offline 엔젤ღ

• Sacred Radiance
  • k-pop'ers and yaoi fan ❤
  • Characters: AngeliqMyst
my fav novels :

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - Fantasy theme, my fav <3
Name of the Wind by Patrick Routhfuss - another Fantasy theme
Long Hard Ride by Lorelei James - WARNING this is an erotic novel so 18+ (although i read it when i was 17 lul)
H.P. Lovecraft's The Cthulhu Mythos - fantasy theme
Natural Law by Joey W. Hill - WARNING this is another erotic novel lul c:
AngeliqMyst - Sage Mystic

yaoi<3

Offline Plague

• -
  • blessed be the boys time can't capture
Any Anton Scheller's story
Wicked series by Gregory Maguire

Offline Meese

• Mighty Moose Lord
  • Faction: Ducks
I personally love mythology as well (especially Greek and Egyptian). These are a few great reads that I really enjoy:

His Dark Materials trilogy - Philip Pullman
Think this series, while it's meant for younger audiences, is real great. Touches on a multitude of things such as loss of innocence and religion.

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Dark and depressing but pretty much amazing.

The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri
Real great piece of old literature; highly recommend.

The Hunger Games trilogy - Suzanne Collins
Another good teen series; well written plus there's the movies now for the lazy non-reading people out there.

The Island of Doctor Moreau - H.G. Wells
Recently read for a sci-fi lit class and absolutely loved it.

Offline Sleep

• Retired Staff Member
  • A really saucy
  • Empathy is a dying art.
  • Characters: Sleep|Snooze|Opiate|Snore
  • Faction: EPW_Team
The Ashes Trilogy was wonderful. The very last book became a little drawn out, but I loved them all the same. It is a unique, apocalyptic-themed series written in an almost grungy style and you can really feel yourself surrounded in the gore and terror from the words that Ilsa J. Bick weaves into life.

These books are titled, in order, Ashes, Shadows and Monsters.

These are the only books I've read as of recent. I'm getting very busy in school, so I don't have much time to read anymore. :(

You don't want to exasperate GN Sleep  :pig-11: :pig-37:

Offline Elena

• Old player. Veno master.
  • Don't worry, my tattoos don't like you either.
  • Characters: Nya
I'm one who loves the classics but new thingies too, my favorite ones:
1. Sherlock Holmes Arthur Conan Doyle
You gotta love this books, it's amazing and fascinating how a genius' life is going. It's been a huge inspiration for me but sadly I can't write detective novels.  :'(

2. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
I was told by mom it's an amazing book but I didn't read it until I had to read it for school, but it was amazing and specially because it's about England's society.

3. The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumans
I love France! And since I'm a history maniac, kings, musketeers and of course queen's affairs. The first 6 books are really really amazing ( The Three Musketeers I and II, After 20 years I,II, III and IV ). But last 4 are really boring and from what I heard from mom who read all of them, all 4 musketeers die in the last 2 books I think so I prefer not to read that.

4. The Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare
I'm in love with supernatural books, I read a lot of them, can't wait for the 5th and last book. <3

5. Morganville's vampires ( I think? ) - Rachel Caine
It's of course vampires.

:rolleyes: Guess those are my favorite books, can' think of other that I really liked and bothered to remember.

Angelica

I've had ideas and thoughts of my very own book, but I never get really far with it because my creative moments pass by really fast and the next time I think of something completely different, not related at all to my last idea of a story.  :-X
However, I loved the Perfect Chemistry trilogy, since it's not just all-love-and-emo, but it also has action and I can relate to some situations in it a lot. I'd also recommend the Hush, Hush trilogy in case you don't have anything against pretty unrealistic creatures, like angels. If you prefer drama you should also try How I Live Now (there's a movie based on the book now, but they changed a lot of things) or 13 Reasons Why. And I'm pretty sure you know Paulo Coelho, since the net is like full of his quotes. If you like him, read his book 'By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept', but I don't recommend it if you are searching for something easy and light. Pretty hard to understand the meaning sometimes.

Offline ᴰᴱᴬᴰ†

• FASHAN for LAIF
  • Characters: Oleander
I love reading but my country sucks and the genres I like (mystery/horror/fantasy) is hardly ever translated. And if it happens, they translate only very popular books, you know, like dracula and frankenstein and I've read them both. And since my country is full of religious idiots or just lazy-ass people I try hard to learn English so I'll finally be able to read what I want. But I still suck...
As far as I know all Harry potter books were translated but I've been told that translation is very poor and it'll make you hate the book so I sit and wait

However, I always have poe<3

I also enjoy reading about greek mythology. I suck at memorizing names but what can I do :normal-2:

Signature by Lonicera
✞ If my wings should fail me, Lord. Please meet me with another pair✞
(  ㅅ  )      α===B

EricaMurcas

Man, I have the perfect book for mythology lovers, but it's like $25 here. Not really expensive, but we're on a budget. :( I would suggest e-books, because I THINK there are multiple translations to all sorts of book.

Offline Darunia ஜ

• ...Because it is.
  • Censorship is the bane of creativity.
  • Characters: An ungodly amount
  • Faction: Tragic
I don't read as much as I should, because there's very little that can hold my attention for longer than 5-10 minutes. 

I will read about anything at least once, but I gravitate towards fantasy and humor.  If it makes me laugh and is completely out there, chances are I may read it.  I actually did try to do NaNoWriMo 8 years ago, and then last year, but I couldn't finish the novel and last year I barely started when life//temporary job/depression kicked in.  I enjoy screenplays, but I dabble in poetry and short stories as well.

Stay Classy.
Mikau - 150 Sage Archer (unofficially retired)
Darunia - 150 Demon Cleric (unoffical new main)
Catfish - 150 Sage Psy (main PK gal)
Phalanx - 150 Demon BM (because impulsive)

EricaMurcas

What I write about is philosophy mixed with blood, gore, humor, and mythological references. I have written several things related to humor, but horror will always be my genre.

Confession: I read "The Stand" around 8 times because I always feel as though I missed something in that book, some references, that sort of thing. I also read "Carrie" around 10 time just because I could relate. I read "Everything's Eventual" and loved it. I have to say the story I liked the most was between "The Shining" (Which I read so many times I can't count.) and "The Stand". Also "Needful Things" because I LOVE an interesting, smart, bad guy.

Offline Xcution

• Forum Veteran
  • I am the ocean of the Universe.
  • Characters: Xcution, Skyscream
  • Faction: IceLotus
I like sci-fi and fantasy books, thats also the genre which I write. And most of inspiration comes from music, epic music, like Two Steps From Hell xD

Offline eel stirfry

• Forum Veteran
  • how nostalgic
Ehehe:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Da Vinci Code
Angels and Demons

Eh in general I like mythology, history, thrillers, etc

Also I'm very sorry but-
anything that is not Twilight.
which isn't literature fyi
(:

Offline ᴰᴱᴬᴰ†

• FASHAN for LAIF
  • Characters: Oleander
Ehehe:

The Da Vinci Code

I remember how I was reading da vinci code at school and I remember my classmates looking at me and whispering each other :normal-2: It was worth to see

Don't get me wrong but I found the book really stupid :normal-4: just like my cousin did:D he told me when I asked to borrow the book "better read the harry potter" LOL (he hates fantasy *cough*)

forgot to mention, he also added that I could keep the book

kindness :normal-2: :normal-2: :normal-2:
Last Edit: Mar 16, 2014, 04:50 am by dad

Signature by Lonicera
✞ If my wings should fail me, Lord. Please meet me with another pair✞
(  ㅅ  )      α===B