Epic Perfect World

How many of you can get this right? (Part 2)

There is no positive way of answering this fully correctly. Just because there is that 50% chance to have a critical attack, does not mean every other attack will necessarily be a critical strike.

If you were to flip a coin 10 times, sure you have a 50% chance to get Heads or Tails, but there is still a chance that you may end up getting more heads than tails, or vice-versa.

There are correct ways to calculate this. Notice that the question is asking for the number of hit on average. The key words are "on average". Somebody has got the correct answer. See comments below.
Let E(m) be the expected amount of hits remaining to reach n starting at a sum of m

E(n) = 0
E(n-1) = 1
E(n-x) = (1/2)*(1+E(x-1)) + (1/2) * (1+E(x-2))

The answer you asked for is the case E(n-10).
As I'm a programmer and not a mathematician Ill have my computer do the hard work from here telling me that the final result is approximately 6.888 hits.

Also, you made me do math before I've had coffee, you monster.
This is cheating! (Just joking) You got the right answer. Of course, it would be best if one can solve this without doing any programming. Also, was wondering if your computer is able to compute the variance as well? (I am pretty sure it is though)

Offline Feone

• Forum Veteran
Haha, I just wanted to skip the writing it out further, way too much work. Also I'm sure it could, computers are pretty good at computing stuff.

Haha, I just wanted to skip the writing it out further, way too much work. Also I'm sure it could, computers are pretty good at computing stuff.
Interesting. Your approach is different from mine, but it doesn't matter as long as we got the right answer. LOL

Offline KingCobra

• quited/inactive.
3 spark,mire,subsea,occult=bb mob :normal-1:

Offline ORACLE

• PRAY FOR GAZA
  • STILL FARMING FOR PE
  • Characters: WHO CARE
  • Faction: PVE FOREVER
Let E(m) be the expected amount of hits remaining to reach n starting at a sum of m

E(n) = 0
E(n-1) = 1
E(n-x) = (1/2)*(1+E(x-1)) + (1/2) * (1+E(x-2))

The answer you asked for is the case E(n-10).
As I'm a programmer and not a mathematician Ill have my computer do the hard work from here telling me that the final result is approximately 6.888 hits.

Also, you made me do math before I've had coffee, you monster.

THIS IS WAYS TO SMART FOR KIDS HERE

Offline Alcohol

• If your STRONG let your Strength do the Talking
  • Characters: Alcohol
  • Faction: Xpendable
and that why i hate math.. :D
Hey, feel free to try solving the question of Part 2. It would be really fun!  ;)

Offline 엔젤ღ

• Sacred Radiance
  • k-pop'ers and yaoi fan ❤
  • Characters: AngeliqMyst
answer part 2:
3-4 crits? on average
P.S dunt ask how i get the answer, and i hate writing on decimals :c
Last Edit: Feb 28, 2014, 08:55 am by Angel<3
AngeliqMyst - Sage Mystic

yaoi<3
answer part 2:
3-4 crits on average
P.S dunt ask how i get the answer, and i hate writing on decimals :c
Lol...You provided the range where the correct answer falls in. But an average number is not a range.

Offline 엔젤ღ

• Sacred Radiance
Lol...You provided the range where the correct answer falls in. But an average number is not a range.
ok this is gonna be random, 3.888

yaoi<3

Offline Milan

• Forum Veteran
  • Faction: Tyrants
No one read a question.

"how many critical hits will occur on average until you kill the monster"

its required number of crit hits do not count non crit hits

Offline Steroids

• God of Noobs
  • Faction: Rawr
This is the question for Part 2:

Assuming you deal 1 damage to a monster every time when u attack, your accuracy is always 100%, your critical rate is 50%, and you deal 2 damage when you deal a critical hit. If the monster has 10 hp, how many critical hits will occur on average until you kill the monster?

As far as my luck goes, 0.

Offline 엔젤ღ

• Sacred Radiance
No one read a question.

"how many critical hits will occur on average until you kill the monster"

its required number of crit hits do not count non crit hits
if u referring to me, i read the question sir. if u not then i apologize

yaoi<3

Offline Milan

• Forum Veteran
  • Faction: Tyrants
if u referring to me, i read the question sir. if u not then i apologize

no xD someone answered 7, 6.8, 10  so i assumed they didnt read well...

I will try to solve it on logical way (since im so lazy to look trough books lol)
Might not be correct but
ok since crit hit is 2 dmg and has 50% chance to crit max number of crit hits required to kill mob is 5. Ofc minimum is 0 if lets say u dont crit at all.
So average will be 2.5
k bai