Epic Perfect World

How many of you can get this right? (Part 2)

This is the question for Part 2:

Assuming you deal 1 damage to a monster every time when u attack, your accuracy is always 100%, your critical rate is 50%, and you deal 2 damage when you deal a critical hit. If the monster has 10 hp, how many critical hits will occur on average until you kill the monster?

Answer: 3.4443

Somebody has got it right. (See reply #36)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the question for Part 1:

Assuming you deal 1 damage to a monster every time when u attack, your accuracy is always 100%, your critical rate is 50%, and you deal 2 damage when you deal a critical hit. If the monster has 10 hp, how many hits do you need on average to kill the monster?

Answer: 6.8887

Also, someone has got it right (see reply #14).
Last Edit: Feb 28, 2014, 07:50 pm by IDuKnow

Offline SQUISHY BARB

• Characters: SQUlSHY
SQUlSHY - Sage DPH Barb White Panda
__SQUISHY__ - Demon Mystic - alt

Offline Flavor

• Tenshi
  • <3Jan
  • Characters: PearlieKyun
Every 2 hits = 3 damage
10/3= 3.33
3.33 x 2= 6.66.
So 7 hits needed.

Offline VookieCookie

• Forum Veteran
omg wtf is this math about PW how dare you bring math here

this cant be allowed :tiger-28: :tiger-28: :tiger-28: :tiger-28: :tiger-28:

7 hits ?
Did you get a number and round it to 7? If so, what was the number before rounding?
Do not round your answer, so that your answer represents the most accurate and exact answer.

If you got 7 exactly, then you did not get the correct answer.
Every 2 hits = 3 damage
10/3= 3.33
3.33 x 2= 6.66.
So 7 hits needed.
Unfortunately, before you rounded it to 7, it was already wrong. Good try though!
omg wtf is this math about PW how dare you bring math here

this cant be allowed :tiger-28: :tiger-28: :tiger-28: :tiger-28: :tiger-28:
I just find it interesting and would like to see how many people here can get it right.

Offline SQUISHY BARB

• Characters: SQUlSHY
Did you get a number and round it to 7? If so, what was the number before rounding?
Do not round your answer, so that your answer represents the most accurate and exact answer.

If you got 7 exactly, then you did not get the correct answer.

i hate math.

i just counted with my fingers.
alternated normal hit and crit. like

1212121 = 7 hits
2121212 = 7 hits

depending on whether i get lucky or not. i may or may not crit that much since .50% crit rate won't guarantee that i will get one every other hit. i could hit more than ten without critting or get consecutive crits as well.  this is all confusing to be honest, too much for my brain. >.<
SQUlSHY - Sage DPH Barb White Panda
__SQUISHY__ - Demon Mystic - alt

i hate math.

i just counted with my fingers.
alternated normal hit and crit. like

1212121 = 7 hits
2121212 = 7 hits

depending on whether i get lucky or not. i may or may not crit that much since .50% crit rate won't guarantee that i will get one every other hit. i could hit more than ten without critting or get consecutive crits as well.  this is all confusing to be honest, too much for my brain. >.<
I like your approach, but it does not give you the average number. I suspect that you chose 7 because it has the highest number of combination. However, it is not the average number of hit. But the good thing is somehow you got the mode right.

Offline Chum

• Fail Barb
  • Characters: Chum, Swampy
10, because percentages are bullshit and hate me.

Offline Broobndoobn

• Old Player
There is no positive way of answering this fully correctly. Just because there is that 50% chance to have a critical attack, does not mean every other attack will necessarily be a critical strike.

If you were to flip a coin 10 times, sure you have a 50% chance to get Heads or Tails, but there is still a chance that you may end up getting more heads than tails, or vice-versa.

Offline Steroids

• God of Noobs
  • Faction: Rawr
There is no correct answer for this. Crit rate trolls me all the time.

Vegas

10 with my luck

Offline VookieCookie

• Forum Veteran
OMG YOU BECOME FRIENDS WITH MONSTER AND NOBODY HAS TO BE KILLED!

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Offline Feone

• Forum Veteran
Let E(m) be the expected amount of hits remaining to reach n starting at a sum of m

E(n) = 0
E(n-1) = 1
E(n-x) = (1/2)*(1+E(x-1)) + (1/2) * (1+E(x-2))

The answer you asked for is the case E(n-10).
As I'm a programmer and not a mathematician Ill have my computer do the hard work from here telling me that the final result is approximately 6.888 hits.

Also, you made me do math before I've had coffee, you monster.